Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why Do You NOT Believe In God? - Page 7

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that secret07 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
leftwood, heres some verses

1 Corinthians 6
8Instead, you yourselves cheat and do wrong, and you do this to your brothers.
9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Ephesians 5
17Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. 18Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. 19Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord,

"life sucks but its better than the alternative"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
ah, but that is not a quote of jesus right? thats a post jesus interpretation from the sound. which still leaves the question, and thanks for the effort, I appreciate the verses

The corinthians 9 one is a generalization again appearing to be made by others than jesus, and we learn that it is the teachings us jesus in need of following, not the interpetations of jesus. Cause that's when things get all silly. Hmmm, so what exactly did jesus say?

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 36yrs • F •
dumbteen, heres the best i can say to that. i dont want to get into a fight with Bible verses, where we both franticaly look up verses to prove our own point. i stand to my orignal point that the Bible doesnt have contradictions if u study it thouroghly, but as i havnt lived long enough or studied hard enough, i cant proove it. and if i could, then u would simply say i was biased and trying to convince u in any means possible.

although u will probably say i am choosing what parts to believe, i will say that i think those were cultural rules. those quotes were said when God was trying to keep the Israelites pure as his people. if he had let them live among the heathens then they would have become like them, and would no longer have been his chosen people.

36yrs • F •
lol leftwood ur right. that was done hurredly on biblegateway.com. i happen to be having youth group tonight and i will ask my pastor where i might find it. as soon as i do i will post it.

46yrs • M
Boy secret, from the way you were talking to teen it sure doesn't sound like god has much say in anything.

And I have to ask, when you say that you stick to the point of no contradictions, but claim you can't know, why would you in the first place even have the claim of no contradictions, its obviously an idea that has been given to you.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 36yrs • F •
i guess i stick to it because i trust the teacher who gave me the information. probably a bad reason, but he gave me much more information that i found true when i studied on it for a while. if i could get in touch with him i would, but i cant as he left the school last year and no one is quite sure where he went.

i guess i may have frased it that way, but that is not what i meant. i dont know why God does what he does and i never will. i wish i could explain y i am so sure that he has a plan but i cant. like i hav said, every new tidbit of info i get i will share, at least until u get sick of it.

46yrs • M
a bad reason? ya, I'd say so.

He gave you info that you found to be true? Doubt it, you may have found things that supported it, like the bible and teachings they seem to make sense of things at times.

I could make up an entire religion that makes enough sense by generalizing and being vague too. Doesn't mean it would be real and true.

Sure so what if God has a plan, doesn't mean we know what it is, or what that means for us, the bible says whatever that we are just supposed to be good people and die and go to heaven, thats still not much of a purpose explanation or meaning. But oh if it isn't what people are so stuck on.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Here's a mentality I simply do not understand : you believe in the Bible without having read it, you even believe it has no contradictions without having read it.

Why? How do you know the bible is trustworthy?

A belief system need not be a surrender to a book and pretend you've found truth. On the contrary, be humble, admit we know very little, that we know no unchangeable truth : the result is we actually know more and can do more. That's science.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 46yrs • M
Ya it is funny, because the basis of science and religion is we don't know shit, that a higher power exists (power greater than ourselves evident by the "fact" that we didn't make the universe, as far as we know)

She kinda said she believed it cause she trusted what someone told her, which is dangerous territory, and not a definitive in the least,

Not attacking you secret, but if it feels that way, it is probably because you actually believe you don't know, or else you wouldn't be wondering these things.

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Right on leftwood.
quote:
Ya it is funny, because the basis of science and religion is we don't know shit,
Is the speed of light really constant in a vacumn? How many atoms are in Avogadro's number? Are all electrons (protons, neutrons) alike (having exactly the same charge, velocity, mass, etc) Is gravitational acceleration constant throughout the universe? A lot to take on faith? Oh, ya if you do the experiments & come up with an AVERAGE value, throw out any discrepency as being human error.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 36yrs • F •
never said i knew everything guys. i said i believed one point, for the time being, because, to a degree, i trusted the individual who gave me the inormation. that doesnt mean that i wont continue to question this and everything. i guess im just coming at it from another base. i have no proof that the Bible is true, and you have no proof that the Bible is false

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We must assume everything is false, apart from a bare minimum that we consider "most likely". And that "most likely" is based on reason, skepticism, observation and experiment when possible. Faith is completely divorced from it.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 46yrs • M
And what about women with women, with that kind of clarification it seems as if it is excluded.

Do women of today really want to be associated with how women were treated in times of the bible. The right to vote and women in the workplace did not come about because of the bible, religious people I do believe I remember hearing (even religious women) were initially against such things as women's sufferage or working women. And the right to choose, is almost soley a debate because of religion, and not well founded so far as I've seen, even by the bible.

56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Patrish is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Leviticus 18:22:
"You shall not lie with a male as those who lie with a female; it is an abomination."

Leviticus 20:13:
"If a man lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination and they shall surely be put to death."

One thing I see over and over again is the implicit misinterpretations that exude thru the society today.
FOR one thing, let me explain what death is...we are NOT talking a mortal death...but the souls death.

The essence within a man or woman...si the soul.
The souls death is hell. Death is an absence from God.
God is in heaven, that is life!

And another issue we have is 'judgement for breaking laws.

IF we are practiving something against the law...can we be condemned by that same law?
Yes we can?

Can we be put to death for killing?
Indeed we can, as they could back then.

The differences we have now are OUR laws do NOT reflect their laws because we have the NT.
But alas you say, they did NOT kill anyone.

Beg pardon, but according to the laws of God the sins of the flesh killed the mans soul...to God.

Our bodies are His temple. He built it, His spirit dwells in it, as a part of Him OUR souls are His.

Man is hard of heart...and so those he cannot dwell in, are dead to HIM.

The new laws thru Christ also state to not commit fornications in the acts of homosexuality.... but the death will be to the man's soul.

"Life is full of lemons, and the lemonade is sweet."
 56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Patrish is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Romans 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Lev 18: 22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Col 1:28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect (peacable) in Christ Jesus:

"Life is full of lemons, and the lemonade is sweet."
Why Do You NOT Believe In God? - Page 7
  3    4    5    6    7    8    9    10    11  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy