Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why Do You NOT Believe In God? - Page 11

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Your ignorance of the Bible's more militant phrases is no excuse. Besides, again, just because love is in some of them doesn't make them God.

People have an implicit definition of God they won't tell me.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
How am I ignorant of the bible's more militant phrases? Have I ever denied their existence?

"Love everyone, question everything and look up!"
 37yrs • M •
Because you keep claiming the ible/Torah/Koran say only love thy neighbor. The "kill the infidels" is just as strong.

But that's besides the point, just because they all "might" say "love!" That doesnt mean its God who created it. If it is, God is a pathetic communicator.

50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I never said that they ONLY say love thy neighbour. You are a master at hearing what you want to hear. I said that love is something they all have in common.

Man is the pathetic one. They're the ones who decided to misinterpret and misuse the message, wherever the original came from.

37yrs • M •
The message isnt misinterpreted it says :
"love thy neighbor"
"kill they infidel"
The message is clearly love christians and kill/hate infidels. Honest christians don't read only the bits of the bible they like.

Secondly you still havent shown why just because there is the word "love" therefore its God.

50yrs • F •
So if the original message of love didn't come from some sort of divine order, call it god or whatever, where did it come from? Man? Man knows love?

I can't pretend to know all Christians but I personally haven't met any who condone hating.

37yrs • M •
"I can't pretend to know all Christians but I personally haven't met any who condone hating."
You said yourself religous people dont do what their books tell them to do. And historically, things like the Spanish Inquisition and the Crusades show that persecution was the norm until the secular Enlightenment educated people about tolerance.

"So if the original message of love didn't come from some sort of divine order, call it god or whatever, where did it come from? Man? Man knows love?"
Its in our genes. We have love in our genes. Where did the gene come from? It exists because people who love have better and bigger families then those who "only" hate.

50yrs • F •
So back to it's all random. There is no source. It's all genetics and biology? That's what makes trees grow, birds fly and babies birth?

This is obviously something that can't be proven or disproven. I believe there is much more going on than we can see with our eyes and intellectualize with our brains, as I have said before. And people who feel this way will for the most part say "they just know". That to me and everyone else who feels this way holds validy. For you on the other hand, as you have stated, holds no validity. If it can't be intellectualized with our logical brain and proven it doesn't exist. That is your reality and it's a valid one. I'm not going to argue with you about the possible existence or non existence of a divine, something higher than ourselves.

37yrs • M •
"This is obviously something that can't be proven or disproven."
It can and has been proven that evolution happens. It has not been determined if God is behind it.

Its up to you to find out for yourself if indeed there is a good reason to think there is something higher. Apart from unreliable gut feeling I mean.

50yrs • F •
That's what I meant can't be proven or disproven... an existence of something higher.

I know there is a good reason to think there is something higher because I have experienced it. You on the other hand have not. It's something that has to be experienced to be "known". If you're not open to the possibility you may never see it.

37yrs • M •
Well what makes you think the experience is valid though?

50yrs • F •
How do you know yours are?

37yrs • M •
Because mine is based on divine experience and gut feeling.

Its based on treating everything as equally false. Its by making as few assumptions as possible. Its also admitting what I think is true can change from today to tomorow depending on new evidence.

But most important, everything is equally false (not guilt) until shown to have some truth.

37yrs • M •
Clearly you are more open to new possibilities. But is it wisdom if we carelessly except falsehoods. I thinks skeptics are humble, they assume they know nothing and try to be ruthlessly honest against their prejudices.

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
indeed, what has brought such sobering thoughts to such a youth as yourself DT? Is this just how you are or were there perhaps incidents that helped shape or guide you in your opinion.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
Why Do You NOT Believe In God? - Page 11
  5    6    7    8    9    10    11    12    13  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy