Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why Do You NOT Believe In God? - Page 10

User Thread
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think Love is the ultimate reality in a social context, otherwise for a point of life, things become conflicted because life feeds on life and being kind to plants and animals is hard when you have to kill them.

But in terms of common bible themes, that making sense talk, and they aren't for it, besides, in terms of god entities wanting to communicate and get points across, well it stands to reason that they could do a better job ya know? Just say, "Hey, cut that out!" or whatever, just something, leaving it to an old book and oh so trustworthy people doesn't work for shit, and he should know this.

So they are all full of shit to begin with, we need to discover for ourselves how this is just a crying out across the ages for people to get along by others who have lived lives surrounded by war. STOP KILLING PEOPLE!!!

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You said that god could do a better job. How? By speaking to us, maybe he/she/it already does and we don't listen (obviosly we don't).

So your reasoning (just trying to understand your perspective) is that because we act the way that we do, if there was a god it would be able to straighten us up, and because it can't, there mustn't be a god?

"Love everyone, question everything and look up!"
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"being kind to plants and animals is hard when you have to kill them."

Maybe it's hard for some but not impossible. Look at traditional Native ways. They honoured and respected the buffalo (for example), used every bit of it and thanked "creator" for it. It was a necessity.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"You said that god could do a better job. How? By speaking to us, maybe he/she/it already does and we don't listen (obviosly we don't)."
He hasn't spoken to me. He should have made a world in which GOd wasn't a laughably naive idea.

I mean, you say we should try to find what's in common with all religions. Why? How do you know even one of them is inspired by God? Its more likely they are either founded by men with halucinations or simply it is a method of control and indoctrination. Christianity succesfully controlled and justified dictatorship until only about 300 years ago.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 50yrs • F •
I'm being quite serious here. I'm not just talking "fluff". It has been mentioned that emotions are what makes us such a messed up society. And I agree. But if it's emotions that messes us up, isn't it possible that similar concepts is what's going to create change?

Do me a favour... find me a "problem" in the world that isn't solved by one or more of the following:

Peace, freedom, respect, appreciation, understanding, acceptance, patience, compassion, care, grace, courage, acceptance, appreciation, forgiveness, truth, trust, awareness, understanding, health, growth.

If there is one then my concept is flawed and I need to know before I waste any more energy.

37yrs • M •
"Peace, freedom, respect, appreciation, understanding, acceptance, patience, compassion, care, grace, courage, acceptance, appreciation, forgiveness, truth, trust, awareness, understanding, health, growth."
You are also naive if you think any of those have anything to do with religion.

These concepts are extremely important, and they were develloped during the Enlightenment, independantly or in opposition to religion. The French and American Revolutions (brought about thanks to the Enlightenment) were not religious. They were basically secular, rejecting the rule of King's who ruled by God's mandate.

50yrs • F •
I don't doubt that what we now know as "religion" has been misused and the message misunderstood. But the foundation of each and every one of them is all of those concepts. That's what I said about the common thread. That is the common thread. So in that there has to be, in my opinion, some validity. It is not only the common thread of religious and spiritual beliefs but of every single human being on the planet, regardless of whether or not we choose to subsribe to a particular doctrine.

37yrs • M •
"But the foundation of each and every one of them is all of those concepts."
That is not true. The Torah, Bible and Koran have numerous passages in which God calls out for the death of indidels. All religions treat heresy as a the highest evil (heresy's meaning at the time was "choice". All of them deny sexual and romantic freedom in terms of oral/anal sex and homosexuality. There are also numerous occasions in which God himself slaughters human beings.

Religion has one core message "GOD is right, admit it, or die"

37yrs • M •
And don't make me get the bible quotes to prove my point.

50yrs • F •
That's just your interpretation DT. What you see and find in religion isn't all that's there. I'm not suggesting by any means that everyone needs to subscribe to a categorical faith. I don't and I get along just fine.

Where in Buddhism doees it say that god slaughters human beings? Where in traditional Native traditions does it say that? That's not in every belief system. And even the ones that says that god slaughters human beings it also says that god loves everyone. What is the common thread again?

37yrs • M •
First of all native traditions don't say anything specific but tales similar to mythologies.

You will note that Bhuddism is the exception not the rule.

Finally, that doesn't change the fact there really is no reason to believe any religion was divinely inspired. Why should we?

50yrs • F •
Because they all say one thing... love love love. Regardless of all the other stuff that might surround it.

37yrs • M •
And that means God is behind it? That's completely arbitrary.

37yrs • M •
Besides, greek/norse mythologies, native traditions christianity, islam and judaism dont have any love "everyone" stuff.

Islam/Christt in particular have "love thy neighbor" but "hate thy infidel".

50yrs • F •
Greek Goddess of love. I don't know anything about Norse...

Native is more mother earth and creator focussed but the message is still love. Christianity, Islam and Judaism do have "love everyone" stuff.

"Islam/Christt in particular have "love thy neighbor" but "hate thy infidel"."

In my opinion "love thy neighbour" is the truth, "hate thy infidel" is the misinterpretation or misuse.

Why Do You NOT Believe In God? - Page 10
  5    6    7    8    9    10    11    12    13  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy