Why do we fear the dark when all it does is conceal everything we see when its light? - spankster501
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What happens after death?

User Thread
 56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Patrish is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Any theories?

"Life is full of lemons, and the lemonade is sweet."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i "died" for about five minutes once, it was a trip i can tell you that much. did the whole out of body thing, looking down at myself, and then the classic tunnel "effect" happend. beyond that point gets a little personal, and people just think im looney when i talk about it anyway.

even i think im a bit crazy sometimes, just thinking about it

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i've thought about this for a long time, and the most logical thing to me(it ties in with a lot of my other philosophical theories, which i don't really want to write out) is that time ceases, because time is based on memory, and memory based on the brain, but the experience itself is not a physical thing, and beneath everyone's individual minds and memories, is completely the same. so my answer is that nothing happens after death, because time ceases. however, consciousness keeps on going(at different times, in different people), which is essentially like still being alive. a unified-consciousness sort of thing, i guess, in which memory and the brain drowns out our perception of unification. but once it's killed, we "become" someone else, sort of like reincarnation, but not as linear. we "become" everyone else, as we currently are, but without the limits that our individual mind has on us. this is a really crappy explanation, and i wish i write it out better. i don't know, though, i've never died before, that i can recall anyway.

"You are reading this."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, there are various views. The most obvious one is ofcourse Heaven or Hell.
After death, logically you just cease to exist.Like when before you were born.
After that various religions have different views. Some like hinduisim and buddhisim say that you will be born again, while some like christianity and Islam say that you will be ressuructed in a later period, supposedly on the day of judement.

However, our inner being may not be destroyed. But it wont be concious.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that uneasy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
When your brain decomposes, how do any memories or "self" remain? I'd love to hear a logical explanation backed up with scientific evidence, if possible.

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i don't think its possible for anyone's individual memories or thoughts to remain after the brain ceases(because it seems to me that these things are based in the brain and the brain alone). but i don't think memories and thoughts are what make up a person's "self," but it is these things that give it color and meaning. consider this: regardless of any period in time, you are still you. regardless of the thoughts you have or memory, you still experience in the same manner, just that the background is different depending on your thoughts at the time. i don't see what's different about going from one person's experience at different points of their life to another and going from person to person--memory and thoughts change in the same way, just more drastically. there's no continuation in thought when going from person to person, but i don't think this matters. they experience, and you experience, and i think this is the fundamental unit of a person, not necessarily memory or thought, which are generated by the brain. this is the same from person to person, and that's the logic i've come up with. hense unified-consciousness. the sensation of time passing depends on memory, really, because all we're doing when we're looking back and remembering is comparing memories. this could only happen in one individual, because in them memories are a continuum, but this "self" is the same at each moment of experience, as it is in everyone else. when you die, and if the brain and memories die, then the sense of time obviously must die. but i think this is just an illusion--the "self" still exists, individually, in each distinct moment of time ever experienced by anyone. i don't think that anything happens "after" you die, because the sense of time ceases. but i don't think that this abstract "self," or "ability to experience" can ever die, because outside of this time continuum, which i think is basically an illusion anyway, it always exists.

so that's my theory in a nutshell--if you took the time to read it the whole damn thing, i salute you.

"You are reading this."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yes, it's a fundemental principle of meditation that your personality is not the true you. We all make the mistake of beleiving thats who we are. If you are constantly physically abused, then even when it stops, you won't want the abuse to stop, because it has become a part of your sense of self.
A new born baby doesn't have any personality, thus he or she must be 'pure'.
However, once the brain dies, then the 'being' will no longer be concious of itself.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that UnderDawg is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think that when you die, depending on the choices made in your life in the physical world, you will become unified into one consciousnesswoth all other beings, and therefore if you did wrong, you will be in "hell" and if you accepted Jesus you will be in "heaven" Just my 2 cents on it.

"My drum skills > Your drum skills"
 38yrs • M •
Nickel4asoul is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
a friend of mine suggested that once we die we are born in another life, seperate of this world, every death her equals birth there, and so on into other universes.

another friend believes in reincarnation in this universe and that some memories may be so powerful that they survive death and reincarnation but if thats tru and not all of us survive then is it really us. these memories he said cause dejavu.

Personally i believe we are no different from the animals devoid of purpose and reason. we switch off at death, bleak tho it is, its the most logical

"Life is a glitch, deal with it"
 53yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Xris is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Eye has not seen, ear has not heard nor has entered into the mind of man the things God has in store for those He loves.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We are trapped in our own "circle of time"...I think that when we die we are reborn as who we are, in the same place and time we were born before and relive our lives all over again the same way, unless we are conscious enough and strong enough to make changes...This is called eternal recurrence and is one explanation for the phenomenon of deja vu.

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wholly is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
A lucid dream researcher, Stephen Laberge, once used a snowflake analogy do describe his views on death. Basically we are all individual snowflakes floating towards an ocean. Each flake is unique and individual in crystal form. However, when the snowflakes land in the ocean and dissolve, they realize what they had actually been the whole time...water.

"dont got one"
 38yrs • M •
HarshTranquil is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Everything you know is wrong... this is the truth.

What you are reading is the textual manifestation of the voice of Gan, the infinite and omniscient.

Upon the expiration, I will pluck your consciousnesses like cherries and put them in my pocket.

It's cotton, and Jesus-free.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
When you die there is either nothingness or another life (essentially reincarnation).

I can't quite decide which one it is.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 53yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Xris is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"Everything you know is wrong... this is the truth"

Then your truth must also be wrong...oops.

----------------

Something can come from nothing?

And you forgot about resurrection which is not reincarnation.

1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy