Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What happens after death? - Page 6

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Wow! That a very seductive idea. Absolute, eternal sleep. However, I was told by this mystic friend that "descent" into absolute unconsciousness was like a "psychological" fall into what he call "Hell-experience" before utter blackness consumes you. Now that's a scary thought.

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
 33yrs • M •
sticker is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
hmmm very interesting Wizard.. from who did you hear this?

"The possiblities are endless to us humans and to the existence of life"
 46yrs • M •
Sorry--Have'nt been here in awhile. Like I said: a mystic friend who's into transcendence told me this. He explained that, based on certain cosmic principles, consciousness is the source of positive or productive thought and behavior that leads to beauty and creativity , whereas a decrease in consciousness is a spiral downward, and the the true source of negative or destructive thought and behavior leading to chaos and destruction and ultimate non-existence, the eventual descent into utter unconsciousness, blackness, darkness. So, in a sense, one descends into this misery in a bleak journey that ends in complete unconsciousness. My friend's search for higher consciousness seems to be motivated by a desire to avoid this experience and fortify and preserve his consciousness in a way so that it survives his release from physical material existence. Interesting viewpoint, I think.

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would have to agree that it would be some kind of "psychological" fall because with severe cases of neurological and psychological disorderes, one's consciousness can become skewed, but not fully depleted, hence the distorted thoughts which include all forms of negativity.

when you die however, that may not be the same case as if you were living. With no consciousness, you wouldn't/couldn't be experiencing anything at all.

idk just a thought

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Where do our memories reside?
In what recesses of the mind?
Where do those moments hide?
And what processes help us find
their sweet echoes when need be
That seem to haunt us dreamily?

What form do those memories take?
Can they be measured and recorded?
What physical traces do they make?
Can science be rewarded
with some simple evidence
that show they really do exist?
Or must we just simply trust to sense
and all urges to seek out the truth, resist?

And if such insubstantial traces of our life continue,
can they linger on indefinately?
past the spark of life in bodily form to
an even simpler, flimsier existence spiritually?

Are my memories just random neurons firing
electric currents in my brain?
If so how did such complicated wiring
come to form my conscious thoughts
and how do those illusive memories remain?

And if it is just down to simple circuitry
and memories are hiding in my cells
how does that convert to dreams and imagery
and the works of art humanity reveals?

My dreams and memories are what make me so unique,
they are me and I am them in this make no mistake..
So when I am old and my memory starts to weaken
I pray they will continue on and in heaven be a beacon
to any straying soul that life has lost
whose spirit into the four winds has been tossed.

Where do our memories reside?
In our heart and spirit, that is where they hide.

Sorceress.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 46yrs • M •
Beautiful, Sorceress...and MNK, my mystic friend says, "yes," if what he calls "ultimate death" occurs, it is the "descent" into this "utter unconsciousness, blackness, darkness" that is like descending into Hell but, ultimately, in the end there is nothing, no consciousness, no experience when you finally hit "rock bottom. " The question is: Is the end result worth the horrors of the fall? He doesn't think so. However, he does believe in eternal recurrence and that not everyone upon death will be utterly destroyed with respect to consciousness, being brought back as who they are, born in the same place at the same time, and living most of their lives almost exactly as they have an eternity of times before. He says, however, that there are certain people whose lives have degraded to an extremely low level that may not "come back" again. And, he says, there are those who are aware of this truth and, by virtue of this knowledge, must act now or be lost forever. You can see why he is so motivated to attain enlightenment.

33yrs • M •
JusKnoimaRelist is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
idk duz anybody think that this is juss bigger than us. that we juss die they barry us thenwe r jusss no more
i hate lookin at it lik that but thats wat makes real sense neway.
i juss hope that there iz somethin after this. i wuz reading bout sum guy who is freezing his granpa until science can restart his heart. i wuz thinking about doing sumthing uv the such. but then if i wuz in a sense uv blackness until then i wuld be soooooo scarred tu die again. and furhtermore if they culd robotize me sumhow forever, juss think about living FOREVER like FOR EVER. n even in heaven living for EVER seems idk.but id rather live for ever than die forever huh?

get back to me on that

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Sky1234 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
die forever is not a scary thought, but live forever is.
I bet that if one got enternal life, he will choose to suicide at the end.

"Beware of the dog"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I personally have no problem breaking apart physically and becoming one with everything still around us. most people are so attached to this physical world and their material possessions that not experiencing anything anymore scares them.

I would have a problem with not having kids and passing on my essence though.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 40yrs • M •
eukaryote is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
you don think you were dead before the birth and somehow you were taken to the life? therefore, think this way, water, when it dropped upon a surface, it will try to go all the way down as much as poosible since that's his nature. now let's take us, we used to be dead and suddenly god granted us with a real life full of light and joy, happiness and warmth. however, we may act as water, we go down all the way back to what we used to be, where we used to be, the state of death, a state when no pain, no joy, no feelings. i just don understand where the sole will go. the energy that is accumulated within us, in our brains, in our hearts, but however, be just grateful for the light you see, for the heart you have, and fill it and share it with the environment. life is a love, who loves he lives.

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that NicOfTime is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There are so many times during this life that I have loved life so much that I want to live forever. So the notion of life after death -- that is, the continuity of personal consciousness/awareness in one form or another -- is very attractive to me, if for no other reason than just to see what happens, watch how we evolve, watch how it all unfolds.

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, the evidence suggests that, after death, I'll feel about the same way I did before I was born. Which I suppose is a good reason not to worry too much about it.

[  Edited by NicOfTime at   ]
 34yrs • M •
straycatphizzle is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Well a theory i had is, if neurotransmitters and maybe even consciousness itself is a chemical, when you die and decompose it soaks into the earth and you become part of a huge consciousness in the earth

30yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that petre666 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
to xris darkmatter does affect us altough it does so indirectly it still does affect us then the vacuum of space would completely rip us our planet and all other planets apart

"the only pain in pleasure is the pleasure of the pain"
 77yrs • M •
dwittman is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
energy of thoughts radiate out like a beacon. You may have decompose but your thoughts are still in existence. Are antennas need to be in place.

"It\'s funny - we just live to die"
 29yrs • M •
whos_asking is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
The meaning of death is the absence of life. Before the day i was born i was not living so does this mean i was dead? Or my life hadnt started yet? I have no recerlection of any memory before i was born and all you know apart from the present is the memories that you have obtained. Everyone is built on memories, you know how you look because of the photos you'v seen and your reflection, I know the traits of my friends and family because of they're past actions. I believe you live in the present and the past of you didn't doesnt exist anymore. So once you have died and the present is no longer there meaning you can not be liveing and the memories you havee obtain are the only things your recount.

"A life in negativity is no life at all."
What happens after death? - Page 6
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy