Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Two more Popes shall reign and the End is come

User Thread
 56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Patrish is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This prophecy may have some teeth.

Saint's Prophecy: Only Two Popes Remain

When the cardinals of the world pick John Paul II's successor, they may well be choosing the next-to-last pope.

The pope who then follows this choice in the Chair of St. Peter will be the last pope, and after his reign Rome will be destroyed.

Such has been the prophecy of St. Malachy, an Irish bishop who at his death in 1148 A.D. was discovered to have left behind a prophetic list of all future popes beginning with Pope Celestine II, whose papacy began in 1143 A.D.

Malachy included a single line in Latin identifying a characteristic of each pope.

Historians say Malachy's prediction – wherein he listed just 112 popes – has been amazingly accurate.

According to his list, there are just two more popes after the late John Paul II.

Here are the seven last popes as identified from St. Malachy's list:

106. Pius XII 1939 - 1958
Eugenio Pacelli
Pastor Angelicus
Translated: An Angelic Shepherd

107. John XXIII 1968 - 1963
Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli
Pastor Et Natua
Translated: Pastor and Mariner

108. Paul VI 1963 - 1978
Giovanni Battista Montini
Flos Florum
Translated: Flower of Flowers

109. John Paul I 1978 - 1978
Albino Luciani
De Medietate Lunae
Translated: Of the Half Moon

110. John Paul II 1978 - 2005
Karol Jozef Wojtyla
De Labore Solis
Translated: From the Toil of the Sun

111. The next pope
"Gloria Olivae"
Translated: The Glory of the Olive

112. The last pope!
"Petrus Romanus"
Translated: Peter the Roman

Wrote St. Malachy of the last pope: "In extreme persecution, the seat of the Holy Roman Church will be occupied by Peter the Roman, who will feed the sheep through many tribulations, at the term of which the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the formidable Judge will judge the people. The End."

According to his biographer St. Bernard of Clairvaux, in his book "Life of Saint Malachy," the saint was known to have the gift of prophesy and had even predicted the exact day and hour of his own death. Saint Malachy was canonized in 1190 by Pope Clement III.

While in Rome in 1139, Saint Malachy is said to have gone into a trance and received a vision in which he foresaw all the popes from the death of Innocent II until the end of time.

Afterward he wrote a few words about each pope and gave the manuscript to Pope Innocent II, who is said to have deposited it in Vatican Archives, where it lay forgotten until it was discovered in 1590 and published. At the time, some questioned its authenticity and it has been the subject of debate ever since.

The manuscript contains 112 prophecies, which scholars have matched with each of the 110 popes and anti-popes since Innocent II .

Here are the prophecies for the most recent popes:

Paul VI. The words of the 108th prophecy are "Flos Florum" (Flower of Flowers). The 108th pope after Innocent II was Paul VI (1963-78). His coat of arms included three fleurs-de-lis (iris blossoms).

John Paul I. The 109th is "De Medietate Lunae" (Of the Half Moon). The corresponding pope was John Paul I (1978-78), who was born in the diocese of Belluno (beautiful moon) and was baptized Albino Luciani (white light). He became pope on August 26, 1978, when the moon appeared exactly half full. It was in its waning phase. He died the following month, soon after an eclipse of the moon.

John Paul II. The 110th is "De Labore Solis" (Of the Solar Eclipse, or From the Toil of the Sun). The corresponding pope was John Paul II (1978-2005). John Paul II was born on May 8, 1920 during an eclipse of the sun. Like the sun, he came out of the East (Poland). Like the sun, he visited countries all around the globe.
Today the final two prophecies are yet to be fulfilled:

The 111th prophecy is "Gloria Olivae" (The Glory of the Olive). The meaning of the olive is unclear. The Order of Saint Benedict – not St. Malachy – has claimed that this pope will come from its ranks and Saint Benedict himself prophesied that before the end of the world his Order, known also as the Olivetans, will triumphantly lead the Catholic Church in its final fight against evil.

The 112th prophecy says, "In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Petrus Romanus (Peter the Roman), who will feed his flock amid many tribulations; after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people.

"Life is full of lemons, and the lemonade is sweet."
 56yrs • F •

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the prophecy doesn't say what year that'll be?

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 59yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheIrishPagan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
According to some scholars, the list is a fraud, possibly made by a school of Jesuits in the 1600's, and claims as evidence the clear mottos mentioned up until that time, and the 'stretching' to fill subsequent mottos with the actual pontiff. Also, according to some, there is but one Pope after John Paul II in the original manuscripts, and that the second was added by the Olivetan monks. The Order of St. Benedict claims this final pope will originate from within their Order, and that he was placed in the list because St. Benedict himself foresaw that his Order would triumphantly lead the Catholic Church in its last great battle against evil.

The main problem with such 'prophesy' is the vagueness of the writings. The next Pope has been named GloriaOlivæ, or 'Glory of the Olives". This could mean that he is dark skinned, from the Mediterranean (like Italy), could be of any mixed Mediterranean heritage, like Italian-American, or French-Greek. He might also be from any of the many European families or towns that contain olives in their heraldry, or that his family does, or may have, dealt in olives in some manner, or might even have been restaurant or pub owners, you have to have olives for martinis after all. In other words, it will be quite easy to 'adjust' this title to the person the Cardinals choose. If they cannot, then the prophecy will merely 'skip' until one is present, who will fulfill this prophecy.

I would like to hear your opinion of how Pope John Paul II fits with the title De Labore Solis, or 'From the Toil of the Sun'.

"Oops, it appears I have run over your dogma with my karma."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Isn't there talk about there possibly being a black pope?

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ikiris is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I myself highly doubt this, but should there really be only 2 more popes till the end, then I hope they live very long. I did hear something about there may be a black pope myself, or one from latin america. That is another thing I will believe when I see though.

"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun! - Ash"
 59yrs • M •
Well, one or two depends on if you go with the supposedly original St. Malachy Prophesy, or the one 'adjusted' by the Olivetan Monks.

I get a kick out of those that mention the natural disasters as evidence of some approaching apocalypse. Some 12 percent of humanity lives on or dangerously near volcanoes, more in tornado prone areas, and along coastal areas prone to severe tidal and weather phenomena, and even more in earthquake prone areas. Hello, is there anyone in there? Doesn't anyone else see some kind of totally natural pattern there?

56yrs • F •
quote:
I would like to hear your opinion of how Pope John Paul II fits with the title De Labore Solis, or 'From the Toil of the Sun'.

Already answered....read the explanation.

56yrs • F •
quote:
The manuscript contains 112 prophecies, which scholars have matched with each of the 110 popes and anti-popes since Innocent II .

Here are the prophecies for the most recent popes:

Paul VI. The words of the 108th prophecy are "Flos Florum" (Flower of Flowers). The 108th pope after Innocent II was Paul VI (1963-78). His coat of arms included three fleurs-de-lis (iris blossoms).

John Paul I. The 109th is "De Medietate Lunae" (Of the Half Moon). The corresponding pope was John Paul I (1978-78), who was born in the diocese of Belluno (beautiful moon) and was baptized Albino Luciani (white light). He became pope on August 26, 1978, when the moon appeared exactly half full. It was in its waning phase. He died the following month, soon after an eclipse of the moon.

John Paul II. The 110th is "De Labore Solis" (Of the Solar Eclipse, or From the Toil of the Sun). The corresponding pope was John Paul II (1978-2005). John Paul II was born on May 8, 1920 during an eclipse of the sun. Like the sun, he came out of the East (Poland). Like the sun, he visited countries all around the globe.
Today the final two prophecies are yet to be fulfilled:

Underlined the highlights.

59yrs • M •
You merely support my argument. First, the titles as related in the Prophesies are general enough to be applied to anyone. Second, the Cardinals are very aware of these titles, and this very well may have influenced their decisions in the past, and in the future. And third, which form of this questionable document are we to use, the 'original', or Benedictine version?
----------------------------------
'John Paul II was born on May 8, 1920 during an eclipse of the sun.'

The Pope was born at 5:30PM on the 18th of May, 1920 dear, not the 8th. Also, this eclipse was centered in Russia, not Poland. (69.1S 107.7E) There have been some 228 eclipses in the 20th century, partial, total, annular, and hybrid, the numbers of people born during an eclipse run into well into the millions.
'Like the sun, he came out of the East (Poland).'

And last time I checked, Japan was the only country to be related to the 'Rising Sun', since when has Poland been known for such? For this subject, this explanation is absurd. And the last time I checked, Poland was north of Italy, not east.
'Like the sun, he visited countries all around the globe.'

And so has many other people, in this, the Pope was not special. Other Clergy, politicians, businessmen, service personnel, the scientific community, early explorers, airline pilots and personnel, etc.

59yrs • M •
*wonders if he should get out the sarcasm sponge?*

59yrs • M •
Lets see how they stretch Pope Benedict 16th to fit into the prophesy.

53yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Xris is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The Benedictines are also knows as the olivetans and their symbol is the olive branch. That the pope chose the name Benedict is amazingly chilling as is the fact that Ratzinger was born on the day that celebrates St. Benedict in the Catholic calendar. A betting site, familiar with St Malachy's prophecy, actually placed the name Benedict as the one most likely, giving it the lowest odds of all possible names, in the days proceeding the popes election.

Regardless if you believe in St Malachy or not, all should be awed at this latest stanza. Also the fact that St Malachy prophecized, as a Catholic, that the last pope would be evil fits well with the description of the religious leader from Rome, the third person in the anti-trinity, detailed in the Book of Revelation.

For those that find this interesting check out Saint Hildegard (12th Century)

"The time is coming when princes and peoples will reject the authority of the Pope. Some countries will prefer their own Church rulers to the Pope. The German Empire will be divided.

Before the comet comes, many nations, the good excepted, will be scourged by want and famine. The great nation in the ocean that is inhabited by people of different tribes and descent will be devastated by earthquake, storm, and tidal wave. It will be divided and, in great part, submerged. That nation will also have many misfortunes at sea and lose its colonies."

[After the] great Comet, the great nation will be devastated by earthquakes, storms, and great waves of water, causing much want and plagues. The ocean will also flood many other countries, so that all coastal cities will live in fear, with many destroyed.

All sea coast cities will be fearful, and many of them will be destroyed by tidal waves, and most living creatures will be killed, and even those who escape will die from a horrible disease. For in none of those cities does a person live according to the Laws of God.

A powerful wind will rise in the North, carrying heavy fog and the densest dust, and it will fill their throats and eyes so that they will cease their butchery and be stricken with a great fear.

59yrs • M •
Unless we all repent and subject ourselves to the will of the Church?

Sorry buddy, but the world has been ending for millennia now, and your explanation does not fit into the Prophesy at all. There is one major concern with any prophesy that is made public, and that is people will go out of their way to make it happen. In 1958, before the Conclave that would elect Pope John XXIII, Cardinal Spellman of New York hired a boat, filled it with sheep and sailed up and down the Tiber River, to show that he was "Pastor et Nautor", the motto attributed to the next Pope in the prophecies. Also, this is supposed to be the second to last Pope, so the Benedictine angle is one to soon.

The Malachy Prophecy, as well as the other you mention, are part of a long line of doctrines and policies designed for one thing and one thing only, to keep people in the Church, to keep as large a power base as possible. Preaching religious intolerance is another. What easier way to keep people in your faith and Church, then by disclaiming any other Gods exist, or are evil?

1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy