Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

School uniforms - Page 3

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
sexy_kate is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i live in england and ive had to wear a school uniform since i was four and in a way its kept me from expressing my self (when i was at school). but i think its just there so the teachers/professors have another way of keep the students in line. i would say the only thing a school uniform does is teach pupils how to look after belongings or pay the price for new ones

45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
For us to fully understand your pain, I think you should post a pic of your uniform for all of us to see.

50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
LOL Firebird... I can feel the pain.

I've thought a bit about the idea of wearing uniforms and I personally have never had to wear one but I can see pros and cons. It definitely hinders expression to a certain degree to it also encourages other forms of expression. If you can't express yourself with your wardrobe, hair and make up (I'm assuming there were also regulations on your hair and makeup) you had to find ways to express yourself verbally and through your work. It also keeps students more focussed on school work rather than possibly judging someone based on what they're wearing. Family income/status wouldn't be as much of an issue because clothes are always the first sign that someone is poor.

On the other hand (and it's basically the reverse of the same point) clothes are a powerful tool for expressing oneself. And having to wear a uniform could lead to over-compensation in expression in other areas. If someone has a tendency to rebel (like everyone at one time or another) because clothes aren't an option, it could come out magnified in other ways.

Thanks for the post it's an interesting topic.

"Love everyone, question everything and look up!"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
With clothes its not common to express yourself, however it is common to display your conformity, your allegiance or desire to be among a certaim clique or crowd.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 62yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lady Tazmanian is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My daughters go to public schools and the district is constantly discussing the possibility of uniforms. I think it's a wonderful idea, as long as they would be able to choose their socks and/or shoes.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that iSOUGHT|THOUGHT is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
so you want to buy a completely new set of clothes for your children? those trendy new styles worn "outside of class" are still going to be begged out of you... wanna shell out more cash? advocate uniforms/

so i say only if the schools feel like paying for them.

but then again, that equates into tax dollars you pay? i see no good coming of it- along with the point leftwood mentioned.

"as i see it the only "variable" in the equation is THOUGHT. you are capable of changing this and this alone."
 62yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lady Tazmanian is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Oh, I know that 'street clothes' will still be needed, but that's irrelevant when positive results can occur with wearing uniforms.

When my daughter was six, she came home from school and was telling me about a classmate that was gross because she wore the same pants every day. My heart sank. One reason being that my daughter thought this way towards this little girl. I sat her down and tried to explain (as much as a six year old can absorb) the problems with labeling.

The young boy down the street is labeled as a trouble maker, Satan worshiper, because he dresses gothic. He's a brilliant and very conscious child.

I don't want my daughters to think just because they might wear Aeropostale or Hollister, they're better than their classmate that wears Walmart.

I'm sure there are many that choose their attire as a way of expressing themselves. However, there are many that define others by the way they dress.

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that furbuggy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would sapport school uniforms if i lived in a city distrect, or a big school. I live in the country however and just about everyone here is either a rebel against all authority, or a hic. So half of the kids wouldn't wear them and the others would probly drool all over them.

"don't worry, be happy, otherwise people will worry about you"
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Ana Rpo is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have to use uniform but it isn't too bad

"In the sea of ilutions and frustations that life is, some swim and some drown"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that iSOUGHT|THOUGHT is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
it's all well and good to promote the positive "equalling" effects of a "uniformed" environment, but isnt that setting the wrong stage?

"here you go kids, let's all wear the same things... find another way to express your individuality"

not to mention that "satanic" kids parent's can't afford him more than one pair of "street clothes". bringing up the problem for some of- where are we going to get the money to pay for this...

conformity- stagnation

diversity- continuance of creation

i have been forced to wear them, i have been forced not to...

the "judgement" passed by innocent's like your daughter aren't removed when the street clothes are-
the differences between each other still arise, the atire just dosen't play into their discrimination on that level.

"as i see it the only "variable" in the equation is THOUGHT. you are capable of changing this and this alone."
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that niners69sgirl is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well even if the clothing is no longer an issue there will always be those kids that get picked on the other kids will just find somethin else to bitch about like ew you didn't wash that before you wore it again or your hair is just gross or something kids are the biggest asses ever they always find a way to hate some one they don't realize hate takes more effort and causes more stress than just lettin somethin go i so don't think uniforms will do much of ne thing but force everyone to look the same n btw i was one of the kids that was constantly picked on over everything n senior year everyone was kissin my ass cuz they needed help to graduate

and as far as having a life on the weekends and friends yeah thanks to my parents that never happend

and the reason they have headstart and kindergarden and preschools and day cares is to teach small children how to properly socialize for when they get to be older so school is part of socialization whether its striaght out about it or not and if it wasn't why would they teach english or spanish or ne other language ....so you can grow up n properly socialize without sounding like an idiot ..

just because the gangs have gotten their "color distinction"
taken doesn't mean that the gangs will disapear they still have the weekends to cause trouble or do whatever they please to do not to mention the part of the week days when they aren't in school

ok i'm done rambling

"sonrisa siesta y fiesta ...if ya wanna know don't be afraid to ask i only bite on days that end in y"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think uniforms would suck, but they'd still be alot better for those either unable to figure out what to wear or who cannot afford to wear what's "in fashion." I think dress codes would be alot better than uniforms, though, setting general guidelines on style and color. That would be cool.

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that niners69sgirl is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
even so you'd still have to pay for the uniform in one way or another and thats just taking more money out of parents pockets money for the uniform and for the out of school clothes so your spending twice as much unless you have a older sibbling and then you get made fun of for hand me downs ....ever seen harry potter the weasleys are a perfect example

"sonrisa siesta y fiesta ...if ya wanna know don't be afraid to ask i only bite on days that end in y"
 33yrs • F •
the_dark_one is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
In my oppinion, uniforms don't solve anything, they only cause problems, like in my school, if uniforms were introduced there would be a protest in front of the office. They just keep us from expressing ourselves through our clothes, yes, some people do get picked on because of what they wear, like me for instance, but i deal with it, tell them that i don't need a 50 dollar shirt to make me happy, and move on. Also, just because you all look the same, in the sense of style, doesn't meen that people won't say this uniform looks better on me and making fun of what size you wear. There will always be bullying of some form

37yrs • F •
guitargirl78 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
In my opinion school uniforms is a BAD idea. For one you people keep talking about the way the kids get teased. But you dont think kids get teased with uniforms? Kids hate uniforms expecially the junior high kids and the high school kids. They would hate to all look alike! I mean shouldn't kids have the right to express themselves? School uniforms do nothing but cut down kids individuality! Theres also been some posts about dont kids have another life out side of school. Do you know how long we stay in school?? Then after school is homework. Kids mostly spend their lives in school! I know myself that schools dont care about the kids personal lives unless their a counselors but kids do socialize in school. Alot of them get their boyfriends in school and even plain friends. Have you people forgotton how it is to be in school? It sucks having to be in a class room with teachers talking and teaching. This is my point a view from public schools.It sucks kids dont really like school at young ages but what makes it interesting is the friends and boyfriends and everything that goes on. I know that once your out of school and have a job your just like "yea kids should wear them" but when your standing in the kids shoes in school with teachers and making it so much damn harder by having to wear uniforms. U HATE IT. I know school is for education and its not about the kids personal lives but god damn someone needs to speak the truth!!! I know a million married couples that met in school!!! Not only that the kids in schools are the kids that are gonna be running the damn world later on. Their gonna be artists and counselors and politcs and all these different people. Also when their in school they start learning about judgment on curtain things and the way to fight for their rights. There use to be so many protests by kids in my schools,and hell i use to cheer those kids on because one they fight for what they believe is right and 2 kids arnt stupid these days! MY BIG POINT IS KIDS HATE UNIFORMS AND IF SCHOOLS WANT TO STOP VIOLENCE OR LOWER DOWN THE PEER PRESURE UNIFORMS IS NOT THE WAY TO GO!! Schools should already be doing their god damn job making the kids feel safe and have consolers their for the children and set consiquences for the kids we make it bad. I mean how come schools blame curtain stuff on the clothes the kids were?? If their concerned so much atleast set some rules for APPROPIATE CLOTHING WEARING BUT AT THE SAME TIME NOT GET RID OF THE KIDS RIGHT TO EXPRESSION.

AND DON'T JUDGE ME I CARE ABOUT THE KIDS EDUCATION!! I KNOW I SAID THAT KIDS LIKE SCHOOL BECAUSE OF THE PERSONAL STUFF AND I KNOW PEOPLE SAY THAT WHY WE SHOULD TAKE THEM OUT SO THEY WOULD FOCUS ON SCHOOL WORK.BUT KIDS GET GOOD GRADES STILL WITH REGULAR CLOTHES ITS JUST THE PERSONAL STUFF THAT MAKES KIDS LOVE SCHOOL AND MORE INTRESTING AND MY SCHOOLS USED TO SCORE HIGHEST IN THE DISTRICT AND NOT ONE STUDENT IN MY SCHOOL WORE A DAMN UNIFORM AND YES KIDS STILL FOUGHT AND HAD PROBLEMS BUT THEIR WILL ALWAYS BE PROBLEMS FOR THE KIDS NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO

GETTING UNIFORMS IS POINTLESS

and also i understand uniforms for a job because it a damn buinsness

"the worst part about being lied to is knowing you werent worth the truth"
School uniforms - Page 3
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy