Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

School uniforms - Page 2

User Thread
 40yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that sjmf is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Good Points. There are a lot of people who do read books by their cover, and that people do have personalities. But how do you get people to get to know you?? Most people take one look at a person and decide, "That person looks like a loser, because they don't have name brand jeans! I don't want to be their friend!" So how do you get people to notice you? Do you go out and spend $150 on one outfit, so that you get noticed?
Just some thoughts!

"I'm every where you don't want me to be!"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that §hÄDÉ is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well If someone Judges you like that, they don't deserve to be a friend!

"I'm afraid of the dark,and suspicious of the light"
 43yrs • F •
ethereal is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
sjmf (in reply to your first post)
as someone who has actually worn a uniform since the first grade, i'm more than a little appalled at the ignorant view you presented:

>"but the personalities would almost be the same."
like what was said in subsequent posts, it's not what you wear that defines who you are. if that truly was the case, then i'd be hard pressed to say anyone had their own personality or was unique unless they designed and made their own clothing. and even with that, it better be original because otherwise you've just taken someone elses idea and assuming their personality. not your own.

>"Think about it, if the school you went to in First Grade made you wear uniforms all the way up to your Senior Year, you and everyone else that went to that same school would be so much alike."
uh, if anything, the uniform made our DIFFERENT personalities more pronounced because you found other ways to present and define yourself.

>"Think about all those kids that go to schools that have uniforms, how many of them do you think actually go to college."
practically ALL of us went to college. the following statement is a gross over-generalization -> most schools that require a uniform are private schools and students tend to get a better education. as a result, more of them go on to post-secondary education.

>"I wouldn't think very many of them would because I don't know of any colleges that have uniforms and that is all those kids are used to. They would be scared to go to a school where everyone looks different, and have a personality of their own!!"
after 12 years of wearing a uniform, wouldn't you think they'd be glad to finally be able to wear whatever they wanted? don't get me wrong, having a uniform was great - you could roll out of bed and not have to think about what you were wearing to school that day or worry what people might think. but after a while, as you might guess, that gets kinda boring and wearing pants rather than a kilt on a cold day is a definite plus. honestly, scared of your own personality? c'mon - that's ridiculous to say.

"Quit complaining and do something about it."
 40yrs • M •
Very well said Ethe, Mind If I call you Ethe?

43yrs • F •
ethereal is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
hehe...why not

"Quit complaining and do something about it."
 40yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that sjmf is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ethe--I am sorry that I have offended you. I guess it is just harder for me to see the whole picture, as I have never had to wear uniforms. You helped me understand a little better to how someone can have their own personalities and still wear uniforms. I am sorry once again for offening you, those were just my opinions.

"I'm every where you don't want me to be!"
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that lynniepoohs is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I had to wear school uniforms and didn't like them then at all. However, after thinking about it kids didn't make fun of you for what you were wearing. Now days kids have a tendancy to ridicule others that are less fortunate and/or having a different taste in clothing.

"Enjoy your family as they are our lives."
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Aladinsane is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think they are a good idea and probably necessary these days. It helps all the kids feel like they are on an equal playing field to some degree.

I wish it would become the norm nationwide.

""One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.""
 37yrs • M •
living_life is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
YEs.... Uniforms one of the many tools of war.
Lucky my school doesnt wear uniform or we be more like our rivaled school.
But in any case for Jr high and elementary uniform is essential because it teaches one about responsibility. It even gives training to how work is gonna be, because when you work you know you have to dress a certain way.

"living large is not as important as living life."
 61yrs • F •
sweethomeala40 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
school uniforms have created a financial burden on parents and the rich kids are still the rich kids and the poor kids are still the poor kids

parents who have the money are still buying the expensive uniforms and the poor kids are still being picked on and singled out about what they are wearing

it has not created an even playing field

the schools need to spend more time teaching children how to write instead of punishing them and keeping them out of class because of uniform violations

what you wear is not going to change your attitude

example: The next Joe Millionaire - you dressed him up gave him some money - but he was still a cowboy

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Dugbug is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I differ in opinions. As a high schooler myself I have a strong opinion on this matter. I find that uniforms can't really help the student body. I also think that they are a bad attempt at it and is a mistake taken by the heads of the educational system because they don't think through the minds of the kids.

I go to a high school that was built to hold 4 surrounding towns. Some kids came over from the catholic school and in the catholic school they are forced to wear uniforms, and having meet them, I can tell you that wearing the same thing doesn't really effect your personallity. You still go home after school each day and do your own thing. The only way it effects your personality is that it limits your ways of expressing it.

Also a school is a place for socializing. If you ever noticed when you are in pre-school and you have to play with the other kids, they said it was to help you with your socialization skill. And when you get older they make you do the same with group projects and assignments. A school is a place for developing a childs mind for their future life.

And since socializing is a part of school and since expressing ones personality is a part of socializing and since clothes helps express personality, differences in clothing is a neccessity for school.

(sorry for it being essayish)

"If the opposite of Pro is Con, then is the opposite of Progress, Congress?"
 57yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Dreamer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Many public schools are opting to uniforms.
In general it could help the populice of children relax about their clothing.
If indeed they all wore the same attire, then who could possibly seem more affluent, or in turn, less able to buy the most fashionable.

In addition to the obvious taunting the less wealthy recieve, it will also save lives.

Many gangs wear certain colors, and that's how they identify one another. Take that away, and the gangs will be less apparent.

Let me submit one more opinion, IT certainly doesn't hurt. (and the parents don't have to buy an entire wardrobe either)

"Even though is difficult, I can still dream."
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that [MiA] is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
DugBug thanx for pointing that out, i forgot to to add that
THE SCHOOL IS A PLACE FOR SOCIALIZING AND LEARNING

"The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care .... right ?"
 40yrs • M •
Yes socializing to a Certain degree, Like in class your there to Listen, Outside of class whatever.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Dugbug is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Dreamer brought up a good point. It might also have to do with gangs. But for most schools that are outside cities this isn't a problem.

"If the opposite of Pro is Con, then is the opposite of Progress, Congress?"
School uniforms - Page 2
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy