Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The last leg for Atheism - Page 8

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What tells you light and warmth exist? There's no certainty behind what you see as truth. Only the mind is certain.

If the question of God's existence defines right and wrong then everyone that believed in God would be incabable of completing a defined wrong action.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
If the question of God's existence defines right and wrong then everyone that believed in God would be incabable of completing a defined wrong action.

I wish it were true but we know its not.

I don't ask anyone to believe in God, but lots of people seem to want me to stop believing in God as if that would be something good and there is a problem with that.

Back to the subject - light as I recall is an energy - one that we cannot see but witness and it has been recorded, a prominent scientific theory and the same can be said of warmth.

Nothing however is darkness and cold - one might say the devil doesn't exist but God does, if we was to use this as a guide.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 36yrs • M •
I could care less about someone's stance on the question of God's existence all I care about is good people.

Ok yeah if you look at the science spectrum light and warmth exist. But I don't think that's what ancient is talking about now is it? Understanding comes before criticism.

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Conway is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As to all of this, I think it is bull shit. I see where ok was going with that, but it is still irrelative. We call darkness, cold, etc... things we can not physically study. This is true. But that does not bring it to the level of "non-existence". It is simply a phsyics that is beyond us. It is the same theroy as anti-matter. The absence of matter. But that doesn't mean that anti-matter is nothingness. It is rather just the opposite of matter.

As to good and bad. They are just another duality. But we as humans chose to do good because good things are the only things that make us want to exist. Because the bad things make us not want to exist. Simple as that. So if we exist, then why not live in what makes us want to exist.

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
 48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PeteSmith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
we as humans chose to do good because good things are the only things that make us want to exist

How do we define good and bad?

If we want to know the temperature of something, we measure it against some fixed standard. Wouldnt we have to do the same with good and bad?

""What we do in life echoes in eternity" Maximus"
 64yrs • M •
quote:
But I don't think that's what ancient is talking about now is it?

quote:
when any trully logical mind examines the situation such creatures become childish vagaries.

what is Ancient taking about?

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Very good explanation conway. I have thought about such similar things. AW likes to quote me when I say stuff like that.
"You are dead once you stop complaining."

"Dark and silent and complete."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Conway is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
PeteSmith

Love, Joy, Happiness = Positive, GOOD = things that make us want to exist

Pain, Suffering, Depression = Negative, BAD = things that make us not want to exist

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
 48yrs • M •
What one persons idea of joy and happiness is completely different to anothers.

Some person may think that killing people brings joy and happiness and another thinks it is bad!

What is the frame of reference?

64yrs • M •
Creation is good

Destruction is bad

So whatever creates is good

Whatever destroyes is bad

In nature we have both destruction and creation. According to the bible, God is the creator of good and evil. If there was only creation the world would soon overpopulate with life and run out of resources. Destruction becomes new life in the physical world.

What we seek is spiritual and those who fail to reach this are simply swallowed up by the physical world.

So God cannot be seen but only believed and its only proof is the physical world many in science seek to disprove. When they are able to duplicate the creation of God then they can claim the proof that God doesn't exist - but for now its all talk.

Its all a matter of beleif and we choose what to believe.

But I think its easy not to believe in God and be the top of your class in science. But should you decide to believe in God, how do you become the top of your class in religion? Its not easy, but easier to just say God doesn't exist.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
it's easier to say God exists just because than to question it and realize the whole religion makes little since where you don't have to simlpy "believe".

"Dark and silent and complete."
 36yrs • M •
It's definitely easier to believe in God because it's more pleasant. What's not appealing about eternal life a supreme being looking over you and loving you. People who believe in God can't look at the question of God not existing and they don't even know they can't.

Good and Bad is bullshit. People keep trying to define what's good and what's bad but unless you see every factor and perspective this is impossible. Thou shall not steal. But, yet someone wouldn't argue or wouldn't think as much criticism if they stole to feed their family. Only you know what's good and bad.

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that KGB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Actually, it's much easier to say God doesn't exist. When you're living for yourself you have only yourself and other people to admire and aspire to be like. Thus, your only models for behavior are imperfect at best. But, when your model for behavior (Jesus Christ) is the perfect man who did not commit a sin in His life and gave the world everything He had how do you justify your sinful actions? You can only aspire to be like Him and will never truly reach the position you wish to attain but because you love Him you owe it to yourself and Him to at least try, however hard it is.

"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Why does it matter whats easier?
Everyone is different.
etc etc

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
 48yrs • M •
quote:
Creation is good

Destruction is bad
Does everyone believe this? Is this a frame of reference we all use to determine good and bad. Who defines what creation is and what destruction is?

The last leg for Atheism - Page 8
  4    5    6    7    8    9    10    11    12  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy