If you're a sexist, racist, homophobe, or basically an arsehole, don't buy this CD. I don't care if you like me, I hate you. - Kurt Cobain
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Can someone disprove this logic? - Page 2

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
People limit themselves by fear. But would you not challenge a frightened child to look under the bed and see for himself that there are no monsters? With God basically we have a bunch of people who have made up horror stories about who He is and then choose to forever believe their own lies. Why not get up and look under the bed and find the truth? It may be scary at first but then it brings calmness.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That requires one or two things:

1) Faith that there will be nothing.
2) Gumption to actually look.

In any case, the faith could be religious or just common sense, or to be precise-education of mind.

In actual fact to look requires belief in the belief...or rather faith in that belief...and this may be blind or true....

...only success will tell. But even then (though less credible in this example!) one may say...see what you want to see.

""No words""
 39yrs • M •
Faith is required in most if not all acts in life. For example you sit on a chair because you have faith that the chair will support you.

You should recognize this quote
quote:
'Curiosity killed the cat' is a quote I passionately dislike. It is a motive for lame, ignorant people to bring up more lame, ignorant people

You cannot avoid asking just because the answer scares you, that only leads to ignorance.

41yrs • M •
I fail to see the logic here...

You quote me correctly I did say this. But my quote actually means the opposite of what you are suggesting: I suggest by this that curiosity is something we should hold dear....It is in essence saying that we should question....we should always question...Some answers scare me because sometimes I may come up with what I perceive to be a new idea. But faith in your own selfreinforces this belief.

As for faith...I have also qouted somewhere:

quote:
Faith is the driver; without it you will not achieve anything. But truth will prevent you from doing certain things like lifting up 1000 tons of concrete. The latteris common sense; the former should not be forgotten.

Once upon a time satanism was seen as belief in oneself. But I do ask if you do not believe in yourself how is it possible to ever question things beyond what we are taught?

""No words""
 39yrs • M •
I agree we need to question things in spite of how scary the answer may be. Maybe I was unclear but that's what I was trying to say. I have no faith in myself because I know that when I try I ultimately fail, instead my faith is in God because He can give me strength to life 1000 tons of concrete if need be.

41yrs • M •
This is a very good point:

If god does enable you to lift 1000 tons of concrete, rationally this would be indirect; for instance you alone do not posess the energy to do so. However, if you could persuade others to help it would be possible. But think about this...in order for all of this to happen the chain must start, given the message, in the mind and that message must pass into the minds of oithers also.

""No words""
 39yrs • M •
If God enabled me to lift 1000 tons of concrete it would be only His work and not mine because no man can lift that. But this same faith that would allow me to get this assistance is the same basic faith through which all things are done. As for convincing others to help well that would be much more difficult because I would have to prove to people that they wanted to lift that concrete but even so relying on other humans alone would be a mistake.

41yrs • M •
There is more than humans...Methods and the tools. Faith, in yourself to do this?, or faith that you have guidance by God?...that is the question!

This is the question maybe that should be posed to the theist and the atheist.

""No words""
 39yrs • M •
Faith in yourself is basically saying that you can do it without God and that is fundamental to Satanism.

What this comes down to is just two religions one of God and one of Satan.

41yrs • M •
And that is the theistic answer!

""No words""
 39yrs • M •
And the other answer is of course Satanic.

41yrs • M •
that is your faith.

""No words""
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
God can do anything. That doesn't mean He always does everything. How narrow minded it is to think that God must always exert full power with every move. The question in and of itself is a mockery of God so why should He dignify it with a response?

I'm afraid it is your response that is a mockery, but a mockery out of context and off the subject leading nowhere with no reference to your own point.

No one had said God needed exert any level of power, you bring an out of context point with no justifiable reference as to its relevance.

The narrow mindedness shown here is your own in that you act as if you addressed the question, which you did not, and then as a mockery of God decided you knew God well enough to determine that the question you avoided was a mockery of him, and finally futher insulting yourself and him in addressing the unadressed question as not even worthy of man to ask of God, as if you again knew God so well to make such an assertion.

quote:
You're thinking inside the box. What if mankind simply cannot fully understand God?

Perhaps you should keep that in mind when next you speak for God.

quote:
The real question is can man outsmart God? The answer is simply no. If God made a boulder that He could not lift then we would fry our brains trying to understand it, because a lot of the things of God are far beyond our comprehension.

And you can of course validate your assertive speculation with what? Your own lack of understanding? Where does that leave you an authority on the ability of others, let alone of God's?

quote:
People accept the idea of being connected to nothingness but they will violently oppose the idea that there is a God in control.

Who says that the only thing we can be uniformly connected to is nothingness? If God is the source of all energy in the universe that is shaped and directed, then we are not connected to nothing, but instead connected to God.

I find it very sad that so many others, perhaps yourself included, have deemed it blashpemy to call ourselves Gods or God, as we are all obviously connected it seems to me a far more likely reality.

Be it as bacteria in the bowels of God, figments of his imagination, an extension of himself, his children, or any other form that probably exists somehow somewhere.

If infinity is the reality, then all things are both true and false, exist and do not. For all infinite possibilities are mandatory, including nothing.

Contradiction, paradox, this is reality.

As for the question of God's all powerful status, it is a question of the logic we use to describe and therefore understand to the best of our ability, your calling it a mockery is pointless, we know we don't know or understand everything, thinks for acting like you do while explaining you do not captain obvious self contridiction.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Faith in yourself is basically saying that you can do it without God and that is fundamental to Satanism.

What this comes down to is just two religions one of God and one of Satan.

Ah, I see I came exactly on time, your limited assumptions were addressed, and unless you correct them, they will limit you from all God has offered you and perhaps even desires of you.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 39yrs • M •
quote:
they will limit you from all God has offered you and perhaps even desires of you.

You do not even believe in the God that I do so how can you say that I am limited from His desires for me?

Can someone disprove this logic? - Page 2
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy