Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

why do you believe in god? - Page 10

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I camped outside yesterday. No tent, just a sleeping bag and the stars. Was pretty cold but otherwise pleasant. God didn't grace me with his presence though.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
God must have been busy doing other things, maybe next time.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Perhaps He did but you were not aware of His Presence?
As you lay upon the earth ( Maka Ina) mother,
did she hold you wrapped in her webs of being called life?
So you say the olde man waziya cold presence
intensived the vigor of life?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 37yrs • M •
Well it was pretty windy so it felt more like being wrapped in cold air then earth. I did feel real fresh in the morning though even after only 5 hours sleep.

"God must have been busy doing other things, maybe next time."
One can only hope

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 35yrs • M •

43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Strongclad is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
sleepingwraith said:
quote:
so im guessing weve all settled on the fact that we know nothing and no matter what we say we will get no where...
Most might say yes to this, but I would say no.

More times than not, I find that those who say we can know nothing haven't given a fair and serious look for God. I even say the same thing about many Christians who know nothing about their faith; they beleive blindly without looking and their faith is based on emotions and feelings or the need to fill a gap left by tragedy in their lives.

The complaints from those who deny God are typically the same. Most outright deny God exists at the beginning of any such conversation, therefore being bias from the get go. I'm not saying that bias is completely wrong in every such conversation. Everyone is bias when they hold any certain viewpoint - even when that viewpoint is thoroughly refutable. The problem with bias comes when someone shows their closed-mindedness to said topic without showing that the other's viewpoint is irrational and unreasonable.

It typically comes down to that, or they choose not to believe in God based on the actions of human beings. Many complaints have to do with atrocities such as the Crusades or the seemingly mindboggling way that different factions of Christians, Muslims or such said religion do not get along. Although these may be valid reasons to turn your head and walk away from these kinds of people, remember, humans will act the same way they always have - in an imperfect human manner. This has no bearing on the answer for the existence of God and in no way refutes God's existence.

Although this is kind of a rant, I see that the majority of this thread hasn't given much of a refute to the existence of God. Maybe this is because no one here has given very much evidence for reasonalbe belief in God's existence. You can only refute proposed ideas and evidences, not a figment of someone's imagination.

I still wish to make a lot of the evidence known for the existence of the Jewish/Christian God, but such is a hard task in that there is a lot out there and that much of it must be considered as a whole to understand its reasonableness. The studies of history, archaeology and science hold numerous evidence for the existence of Christ and belief in his resurrection. And if this is true, taking into account that Christ believed that God was his father, we can see that belief in God would be reasonable. That is, if it really came from a man who had the authority to do the great things he did, and on top of that, rise from the dead.

But like I said, I can't write a book about all of it here on this forum, and being that there are numerous books out there on this topic I don't really see a reason to.

But as for sleepingwraith's comment, I would still have to say no. No matter what we say, people are still going to believe what they want to believe. And most are going to do so without taking a serious look at what may be true. This will get us nowhere. But to those who keep asking valid questions and look zealously for answers, only good can come. Those who don't will stay here at captain cynic looking for arguements to get into.

"All statements are false. The last statement is false.--One of these statements is true."
 37yrs • M •
There is not enough historical evidence, if anything it is circumstantial at best. Theologians argue God exists based on reason, philosophy and nature, not a history which can always be contested.

35yrs • M •

72yrs • M •
quote:
Thus, he concluded that the idea must have come from the perfect entity itself, or, in other words, from God.
Well said with perfect timing, another important aspect.
quote:
i think, there for i am. thats all i know. but what i am i do not know. teach me what ive missed if im wrong and ill take yet another look at your god.
I think Jesus said, that each must form our own relation with GOD.
quote:
....and I have no idea where that smiley face came from.....I just don't do smiley faces!
note that at times I use alternates for parathesis?
Ya, I found out that certain combo produce a smiley face
I found it when chat board for go (game). Every time I made a perticular statement ' To make Life you need 2 eyes (open spaces) & a nose (stones) separating them.' I ended up with a face in it. So I started using brackets.

[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 37yrs • M •
Cturle that was a weakness it Descartes' reasoning, not a strong point

Just because I can imagine a perfect chocolate sundae doesn't mean a perfect chocolate sundae gave me the idea of the perfect chocolate sundae.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
your memory, feelings senses can creat and mix things creat whatever mental images or feelings we can label "sening god" or "sou" (continue of dumb teen) i wanna answer should have before willlater..

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 72yrs • M •
Hmm . . . at times I will use quote to identify a particular statement, but I use it to reference the whole statement w/o quoting the whole statement? I don't generally don't like taking things out of context so I assume the reference will be read in its fullness by others while I may take exception to a particular point.
I would agree Descartes didn't prove GOD's existence but referred to his belief just as noted about Einstein, etc. As pointed out science is based on logic & religion upon beliefs, yet many recognized leaders in science, etc came to some belief in GOD [their prefect time].
At the time of the Olld Testments, who would have the slightest comprehension of atoms, foundations were need to lead to the conception of the atomos by the Greeks.
Revelation was written within a general frame of understanding basic principles (war, famine, etc) yet the use of metaphors shows lack of comprehension of the specifics.
patape, you lost me on the last statement?

37yrs • M •
patape - Sorry I don't understand much of that

cturtle - Many scientists are religious of course. But we seperate their scientific theories from their religious beliefs because they do not argue for them the same way.
I will not believe in God because Einstein did. Nor will I believe in general relativity because Einstein did. I will believe in Relativity because Einstein used a good method to prove it. I will not believe in God because it is based on Faith.

35yrs • M •

why do you believe in god? - Page 10
  6    7    8    9    10    11    12    13    14  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy