Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

why do you believe in god? - Page 8

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
it makes sense to me Chrissie, do you think that some people may just choose to fill that void with other things aside from god? how do you think a person comes to the conclusion of filling it with god or something else?

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chrissie2006 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hmm, that's kind of a tough question. But I deffinatly think that people can fill that void with another God. Like i know you like Video games, right, well for some people, they make video games their god. Anything that pulls you away from the Lord, can be considered a substitute God.

I dont really know how I decided that I needed God. I was at a camp with a Youth Group my sister had invited me to, and we were all just sitting around the fire and I felt an over whelming Love and Joy... And I just KNEW!!! So I prayed, and That's when I became a Christian.

"Dont complain that roses have thorns. Instead, be thankful that thorns have roses."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
haha the video game god... funny example, but i totally see where you are coming from.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Interesting, although not everyone thinks this thread worthy.
http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/thrdid=26269-u-frmid=17-u-page=1

quote:
Dumbteen
Well, we've seen the process occur with moths if nothing else (black moths became dominant in England once trees were polluted with soot). In addition, we know genetic mutations occur and allow this sort of long-term evolution. It is also clear our universe is NOT static, it is always changing, it seems absurd to me that the environment can change and the animals would not (they would eventually all die out).

The other day I was talking with a neighbor, he was cleaning up his yard & planting. I noted his hummingbird feeder so we discussed the subject, the next day the paper ran a picture of a hummingbird moth! news photos are not good quality but I was struck by how closely it resembled a hummingbird. The point is I just don't see any mechanism for it to have evolved? (Which is used earlier to counter belief in a creator) But as stated by another arguement, 'not understanding the means does not nullifiy the theory.
quote:
http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/frmid=17-u-thrdid=15973-u-page=6
Subject of Discussion moved to more appropiate string

http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/thrdid=26269-u-frmid=17-u-page=2

quote:
Somehow when people use the word God they expect it to be 'sufficient answer' when in fact it doesn't solve any problem.

(Same page)
quote:
A case for God must include evidence of him interacting with his creation, if indeed he is the creator.
I liked Strongclad statement as it gives reason 'why', a Creator, GOD would allow His presence to be known but accessible by faith.
quote:
Sleepingwraith
you guys have all put up good statements but something i think might get to elemental is that the universe from what we know doesnt allow something like god to exist. he uses no energy, never dies, never gets old, can create what he wants when he wants, etc. this is not the definition of something existing in our universe.
Probably why the bible states GOD existence as separate from our existence.
http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/thrdid=26269-u-frmid=17-u-page=4

quote:
Sleepingwraith
Now tell me, who still thinks we are watched all year by a jolly fat guy in a red suit? Because i see no evidence that our choices are outside of fate since we are part of the universe.

Actually the Santa Claus resulted from Christians relating Christianity to Celtic Traditions.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
" The point is I just don't see any mechanism for it to have evolved?"
This is pretty well established and common knowledge, but here we go :
In the 19th century, England became the first industrialised country. There were many factories created, which resulted with considerable soot and blackened trees. People studied forests close to the factories and ones further away.
The ones close to factories had mainly populations of black moths (presumably to camouflage on the black trees).
The ones further away had mainly white moths.

This illustrates how through a change of environment (change of tree colour), a characteristic (moth colour) can become negative or positive. The positive trait (in this case black colour) replaces the negative trait over time. The net effect is a modification of the genes of a population.

That is evolution. Please tell me if I was clear >.<

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 72yrs • M •
quote:
And if what i say is true than god either doesnt exist or those of us who "do" bad are going to have to burn in hell.
Nice little religion now isnt it.

Hmm . . . I will assume you are speaking of Christianity & the fire & brimstone variety of hell? Of course you could see it more like : We are here at this level of existence. Those who worthy to evolve to the next level of existence after death. Those who don't remain in this (realm) existence, an eternal nonexistence (death) separated from life (GOD).
Perhaps rather hard to accept like dropping out of college because you didn't apply yourself to making good grades?

[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chrissie2006 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Dumb Teen, as far as your moth/evolution theory goes, who's to say that the the maths evolved, as opposed to different moths being attracted to different trees??? Also, you gyus claim that christ's times were so long ago, that we are "foolish", for lack of a better word, to believe that our sources are reliable. But you little story you claim took place in the 16th century. Why is it that you can believeTHAT? Isn't that kinda contradicting?

"Dont complain that roses have thorns. Instead, be thankful that thorns have roses."
 37yrs • M •
"Dumb Teen, as far as your moth/evolution theory goes, who's to say that the the maths evolved, as opposed to different moths being attracted to different trees???"
Because the black moths had never been seen before in England.

" But you little story you claim took place in the 16th century."
First of all, its the 19th century.

" Why is it that you can believeTHAT? Isn't that kinda contradicting?"
Secondly, 100 years ago is not the same as 2000 years ago. We have continuous records going back much further then 100 years ago, but nowhere near 2000 years ago.

This is a simple concept, we don't always know with much accuracy what happened a long long time ago.

37yrs • M •
"the real amaising thing about all of this is that no one has found the time to write a real good book on the absoulute countless documents that are out their"
What are the odds of that, HUH?

37yrs • M •
"Chameleons change color to camoflage themselves but what activates & deactivates these changes to blend into the surrounding colors?"
That is something different, the chameleon does not change his genes to change colour. The moths can only change colour through multiple generations, because it is genetic.

"More like someone had taken a piece of wood (plastic) comforming to the general (size) proportions & imprinted (painted) a hummingbird upon, like a piece added to a floral arrangement."
Whatever the implications are, I think this is daft. There's more then 1 moth, they found many many black moths live and kicking.

"One might accept (expect) that genetic similarities to reproduce in different species, the genetic introduction of an vivid image to be reproduced in the hairs(?) on the moth to the feathers of a bird certainly leaves the chances extremely remote. Which begs the question of some outside infleunce or action in it's creation ?"
I hate your vague implications. As if our British industrialists decided to paint the moths black. Yes, this happens in other species.

Hell, its happened for humans. I'll compare Native Americans, Blacks and Whites. Blacks are more resistant to sunlight, white are not. Why is this? Because whites lived in Europe, where its colder and cloudier then Africa. Thus, there is less sun, and the sunlight resistance becomes less useful. Hence we whites are less resistant to sun. Most whites have been living in cities for roughly 2000 years. Cities have diseases due to lack of sanitation and the tight conditions. Today, whites are more resistant to diseases then Indians. We saw this when the Spanish landed in Mexico. Spanish diseases (smallpox in particular) decimated the locals, but not the whites because they have become immune to it through the generations.

I can go on with other examples if you want, but this pretty much undisputed fact by anyone with any knowledge of the subject.

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
patape : : 21yrs

why do you believe in god?

what is good reason to believe "god" exists..

il try to show how its not a good reson and even how that reason could support that god dosnt exist unles you convince me otherwise

What happened to patape?

This is a tough question because I don't know the answer. I believe there is a god because I do, that's why. I can't give you a good reason because I don't have a bad reason. I don't even have a reason.

There was a time in my life when I did ask myself, "maybe there isn't a god?" Five minutes later I decided, "there has to be a god, all of this could not have been created by accident."

And I have experienced things, and seen things in my life that confirms my belief.

(off subject to answer Strongclad)

As far as Jesus goes. I believe he is the first and we are the second. He came to lead us back, as false teachings had lead us astray. He knew he had to die. Greatly skilled in cause and effect, he knew that if he died, his teachings would be remembered world round for a very long time. If he did not die, his teachings would be forgotten. And if you want to know the power of his teachings, study Ghandi, who brought peace to india and pakistan using the teachings of Jesus. Religion takes a lot of heat for the chackles it has chackled humanity into. But think if Jesus had not come, how much worse it may have been.

Todays Christianity teaches to much salvation and too little Jesus. If they just taught their followers to follow Jesus, salvation would come, but instead they teach salvation and forget about the teachings of Jesus. They do not do unto others as they would for themselves. They don't concern themselves with the laws Jesus taught while he lived, they're too concerned with his death. Believing that if they only believe he died for them, they are saved. We'll see.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Figure out how to take gravities hold off of yourself so you can fly around like super man. then figure out how to shut time up and live forever. Do these things then tell me im wrong.

Nobody can tell you that you are wrong can they?

Figure out how to take gravities hold off of yourself so you can fly around like super man. then figure out how to shut time up and live forever. Do these things then tell me (you are right).

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 72yrs • M •
Loosen the bonds that tie body & spirit, your spirit flies beyond the bounds of superman . . . the body is bound by time, not so the spirit.

why do you believe in god? - Page 8
  4    5    6    7    8    9    10    11    12  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy