Truth is like the foundation of a building. To cover its lack up, you can build over it. But that only hastens the inevitable collapse. - Chained Wings
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

why is suicide frowned on???

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
LostDreamer is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Now when anyone talks about or thinks obout or does commit suicide it is highly frowned apon. i just want to know why. how many people out there have actually been in a position that bad that you would want to. not many, so you don't know what it is like like i do. Yes i admit there have been lots of times that i was just a second away from suicide but still in that short time my life changed i realized that for things to get better i would have to learn how to get my mind off it and started to find many different ways to get my mind off of it. first was of course drugs and alcahol but it didn't fit the level of mind that i wanted it seemed more like relying on someone else and i am VERY independant then i found the book astral dynamics. it actually gave me a great idea. an O.B.E. seperates the spirit from the body thus giving different memories so in this way i could start fresh and solve the problems that i knew could happen in this i also found the place of happieness and no worries that i desired. and basically that is all that happened from a self-caused near-death experience i completely changed the path of my life. so now i ask you people if all suicide cases are bad then why did mine give me a better understanding of the value of life.

any comments good or bad are welcome i'd like to see what people think??

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
LostDreamer you be careful.

Twelve years ago I was very suicidal and tried several times to kill myself. My domain name is theinsideout because that's what I did. It was a good thing. I learnt a lot about people and I learned a lot about myself. If someone was to look at me the wrong way or say the wrong thing it would send me down that path of wishing I was dead.

We have walls or we wear a mask that we hide behind. It protects us from other people. If we take that mask off or take down those walls, it is true we will learn so much. But it is also dangerous, we might also end up dead.

You might think "So What." Your death will cause someone else to want to die. People do care about you even though you don't right now realize it. And so what - you learn something - what good does it do if your dead.

I care - I don't want you or anyone else to kill themselves. It's not the answer. We can stand together and fight whatever is bothering us so much. You know - I have discovered this. If you just tell someone else what is bothering you - they don't have to have an answer - yet you will feel much better. That's what I did. The last time I felt like killing myself, I called the suicide hotline. The lady on the other end of the phone didn't offer me any advice. She just listened and I felt better and never thought about suicide again, that was nine years ago.

This is the time of year more people kill themselves.

Take It Easy - Be Cool - If you have lost your mask or taken down your walls - you need to rebuild - here - you can talk about anything you like.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This is an interesting question indeed, gets me to thinking, and...why is it illegal to commit suicide? Very curious.

I often thought about suicide when I was split with the love of my life, it seemed to be the only way out. I think we get overloaded with emotion and don't seem to have the capacity to deal with them. I knew that I had people that cared about me, and I still considered doing it, so I don't think that it depends solely on support. I had to come to terms with it myself, and that, I think is what alot of people need.

In any case, there is alot of life to live that is there for enjoyment. I agree that getting to rock bottom is sometimes the only way to re-make yourself, so it is not always a bad thing IMO.

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 45yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that rossetti is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
When I was younger, I believed suicide was a personal choice that neither government nor religion should put restrictions on. Then, as I grew up and was submerged in death and dying (I worked at a nursing home for a few years), I saw suicide as an easy way out; that is, I believed that no matter how much people suffered, taking your own life should never be an option because suffering and affliction was a natural thing for human beings to experience. As of now, I was have ambiguous feelings on the subject. Since I am a borderline existentialist, I don't care one way or the other about what others do. I do know that I would never kill myself--I'm going to tough it out until the end--no matter what.

"Les enfers sont les autres."
 64yrs • M •
I do think that if I make it too old age I should have the right to end it. It should be my choice to spend my life savings on medical bills or leaving it for my children or grand children. I should be able to choose whether I lived in pain or let go. Such was the practice before medicine.

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I can wholly agree with that Okcitykid, I have seen enough people with Cancer and Aids to know that the quality of life is freakin terrible. Anyone who says that these people shouldn't have that right should be shot, IMO.

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 35yrs • F •
Biancass is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Suicide to me i s a concieded act.. Because you're only thinking about you and how your life is oh so bad when theres starving children around the world! And when you do commit suicide All your friends and familly and people that cared are sad! you can't just think about you all the time!

so maybe it is good that suicide is Frowned on O.o?

"You don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t wear personality on your sleave"
[  Edited by Biancass at   ]
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Suicide is the single most selfish act on the planet. this thread is flawed though, lostdreamer didnt actually commit suicide, getting through their problems was good, but had they actually gone through with it... well this thread may not even exsist! suicide is bad, thinking about it, considering it, and even attempting it are not. id be willing to bet that the majority of society has at least considered suicide at one time or another. it really does come down to how we all deal with our problems, the better you are at it, the less likely youll kill yourself... i would almost go as far as saying that being suicidal is a part of growing up! ALMOST!

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"Suicide is the single most selfish act on the planet."
Why?
It can be a very honourable thing. It can save another's face and can be a way of admitting deafeat.
Though this is not how suicide generally is today (which usually involves a depressed teen/middleages/old person) but the more military suicide can be a very honourable and noble, if only symbolic, thing to do.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 40yrs • M •
save face? im not seeing how... admitting defeat? no one wants to be defeated, and should fight to the bitter end no matter the circumstances. the only acceptable scenario for me is if a person had some sort of information and they were being tortured endlessly for it, and this information would have to bear a very large significance upon not only the people directly involved but also many around the world.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"save face? im not seeing how... admitting defeat? no one wants to be defeated, and should fight to the bitter end no matter the circumstances."
If surrender can save lives, by all means surrender is a good choice.
Suicide in the japanese and military sense is not a bad thing, or at least I don't see why it is a bad thing.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 40yrs • M •
yes, im more or less agreeing with you here.

43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that oatmaster is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If a suicide would have no effect or a beneficial effect on everyone else it wouldn't be selfish.

But of course, that's never the case.

And there's a difference between suicide and euthanasia.

"happy to be corrected"
 64yrs • M •
To the person who commits, tries to commit or thinks about it a lot (suicidal). They see it as no other way out. The worst thing you can do is make them feel guilty. If someone tells you they want to kill themselves, don't tell them they're being selfish. It is guilt that usually leads one to this place. The best thing you can do is help them feel better about themselves. Sometimes all you have to do is just listen. This is the time of season that the suicide rate is the highest.

40yrs • M •
thats good advice, i would never say to a suicidal person that they were simply being selfish. they obviously have their reasons for feeling the way they do, whether its something chemical or they have just had a rough time (perhaps both). its just that in my experience, nine times out of ten, all the person is doing is crying for attention. and that is very selfish.

1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy