But yet I am firmly persuaded that a great deal of consciousness, every sort of consciousness, in fact, is a disease. - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

why is suicide frowned on??? - Page 2

User Thread
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that oatmaster is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
So if someone was unhappy and about to leave a child to starve calling them selfish is wrong even though they are being a shit?

"happy to be corrected"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Suicide and attempted suicide are not selfish IMO. That's just the consequences of a person who feels that is their only real option to stop the pain.
Being flaky about it and talking about it, scaring people but not taking it seriously is selfish.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"Being flaky about it..." that part i totally agree with DT

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't like to boast. In the Navy suicide was becoming a problem. To curtail things they developed a suicide program, anyways, I was sent to a class on the subject. One of the worst things you can do when someone comes to you threatening suicide is to tell them they are being selfish, even though they probebly are.

But the truth be told - the one most likely to commit suicide is the one who says nothing, just does it. So if a person was to talk about it, we were to be thankful and be glad that they told us first. We were told to look for those who appear to be depressed.

Suicide is selfish, but be careful not to say I never will or this won't happen to me. My experience is that very, very, very few of us are truely righteous when in certain situations.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 40yrs • M •
quote:
the one most likely to commit suicide is the one who says nothing

that seems to be the case. i think people who talk about it probably dont actually want to commit suicide, while the people who dont talk about it are simply so far "gone" that there is probably not a whole lot that could have been done to save them anyway, other than them having an entirely different life perhaps, or at least someone to have been there for them. one thing i say over and over to people is "never say never" ... perhaps i should practice what i preach i do feel that i would not tell a person that they are being selfish, even tho it is what i whole heartedly believe. i care about people too much in the real world to do or say anything that would "set them off" so to speak. i know i sound messed up, but im young, i have a lot of crap to figure out still... thats why im here

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that deletion_of_me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe that there are only two possible situations when suicide should be allowed/not frowned upon:
1. When faced with a terminal illness/become a "vegetable" with no hope of ever recovering and you will just deteriorate further until death. Why be forced to last out your life in pain, eating away money that you could give to make others' lives better, sitting until you fade away into nothing.
2. When faced with a situation from which there is no possible escape, such as slavery. If you are forced into slavery and there is no possible hope of getting away, then your choice to commit suicide should be seen as a viable choice. To live a long life of misery rather than die free, I know which I would choose.
Finally, I don't think that suicide is a selfish choice, per se, just the wrong one. Apart from the two scenarios I mentioned, I believe that every situation can be bettered or gotten out of.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that UnderDawg is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, i haven't really read but the last few posts, so here's my take on suicide.

First off, it IS selfish and stupid. Is it really worth giving your family and loved ones all that grief just because you aren't happy with your life? Hell, everyone's been through shit, but how bad it actually is is a combination of what the person actually went through/ how whiny and fragile they are. I've been through things, I've had 2 fathers die, an aunt, and a grandma and granpa. I've never actually met my real mother or father. I also hate the house I'm living in, which I understand is normal for a teenager, but this goes deeper into a loathing for my stepdad in which I really don't feel like discussing. I don't have too many friends at school because I'm not really in a "click" and my grades are slipping, so I'm grounded all the time. Have I ever attempted suicide?

NO

Because it is a stupid decision. It doesn't solve anything. And (this is for non-Christians, so people who are Christians just ignore this part) if someone really thinks being dead is better than living through w/e they are going through, tie them up completely, put them in a coffin, and leave them in the darkness for a while, with no interaction whatsoever. THEN maybe they will see death is not a very wise choice.

"My drum skills > Your drum skills"
 39yrs • M •
Despair is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
What you guys do not understand... is a lot...
the world can be a dark and scary place, and most people who are suicidal feels alone.. cold and ugly.
Suicide is a choice for those who needs to make it... in my eyes, there is no god, God died a long time ago, there is nothing but darkness, blackness, oblivion, nothing, no point in living in the first place..
so between living in constant pain, so unbarable, or to just leave it be.
do not hate those who are suicidal, for some suicide is the last option they have, all the option a person has used, and suicide is the only one that seems to fix everything.

selfish.... who here has never been selfish... you buy your selves toys.. to make your self feel better, do you buy toys for everyone else... to make your self feel better, is it so selfish to love your self enough to take your self out of the world that has treated you so badly... cold alone, and no one is there for you?

those who are suicidal are in need of help, if you need to help them show them options of other ways, but do not lecture them on how well they have it.. they heard it a million times, its pointless to change a mind of those who are set in their ways who has lost all hope, and udder despair.. I would like to quote an intresting song I heard while typing this, its from the mash theme song

Suicide is painless.. it brings on many changes, and I can take or leave as I please.

suicide is a choice one person should make, and those around him or her, should respect it.

-newest newby Despair

"Fasion is a form of ungliness so intollerable, it must be changed every six months -Oscar wylde"
 35yrs • M •
Despair:

That right there is the biggest load of bull shit I've heard in a good while. Yes, the world is a scary place, but is it also a joyful happy place. There are just as many good things in this world as there are bad things, and committing suicide just because of that is well....pretty fucking whiny. Alone? I feel alone all the time. Everyone feels alone sometimes, maybe some more than others. I don't go killing myself because I'm alone, I try to meet people, make friends, take that loneliness away. Suicide is not a choice for those who need to make it, it is either for 1. Stupid ass whiny people who think they just because they don't get along with their parents their lives suck. or 2. People who've had such horrible things happen in their life that they feel it is the only way out. The second one, I can understand, but these people still need help. The 1st one well....fine, if your gonna be that whiny about things, kill yourself, because the world doesn't need someone like you anyway.
Yes everyone has been selfish. But unless you are a pretty bad person, you don't do it intentionally. Yes, I buy myself things, but it is money I worked for and earned. I also buy things for other people, hell I just spent every dime I had ($240) on a necklace for my girlfriend.
A world that has treated you so badly? That's another load of bull. The world itself does not treat you badly, people in it do. I have been treated badly, everyone has. All the nway until I was 14, I had practically no friends and was picked on in school all the time. Most people would see that as a case for suicide or homicide (Columbine), but I am not that stupid or whiny. I promise, THERE IS SOMEONE IN THIS WORLD WHO CARES ABOUT YOU, whether it be family or friends. Hell, if you can't think of anyone who cares at the moment, call a hotline, go to a chat room, TALK TO PEOPLE ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.

Suicide may be painless, and it does bring on changes, bu they are not good ones.

Suicide is not a one person choice because it affects all those around you. Maybe you would feel differently if you had a child who wanted to kill themselves, or a girlfriend you loved who wanted to, I've been through that. And I refuse to respect suicide. I certainly wouldn't respect you if you killed one of my friends, why should it be any different if you killed yourself?

[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 40yrs • M •
hmm except for 2 and 7 ive got that whole list covered lol and both of those were covered at one time. guess i should have killed myself. my wussyness must have stopped me.

no but seriously, ive had about as crappy a life as it gets (not looking for sympathy) but ive never given up, doing so is just ridiculous. especially if all we have is this life and nothing more. it shouldnt be thrown away for any reason. and please dont go into the whole war scenarios again, already established that something like that is acceptable under the right circumstances.

35yrs • M •
No, you can't judge someone elses pain. But you can't deny the fact that some people are just plain whiny.

Actually, suicide does come easy. It is the easy way out of a situation. Instead of trying to work through it, you just give that. I don't call that brave, actually I find that cowardly. Yes, some suicides are acceptable, such as if you are about to be captured by an enemy who will torture you until you gave them information that would lead to the death of your comrades. That is a case in which suicide is a selfless act, but those are few and far between. And again, you are right, sometimes people become so emotional that they can't really be held responsible for their actions.

About the pedaphile, that is a very weird situation. In my opinion, you cannot be born a pedaphile, but for arguments sake let's say you can. Well, obviously you would be mad at yourself, but masturbating and giving yourself pleasure over something you know is bad isn't too smart. That's likesaying "Oh it's so wrong to steal, I wish I could stop" while at that moment you are stealing a car. You find it disgusting, but obviously not so disgusting that you try and stop. Make sense?

39yrs • M •
Despair is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
quote:
Actually, suicide does come easy. It is the easy way out of a situation. Instead of trying to work through it, you just give that. I don't call that brave, actually I find that cowardly.

Underdawg, not being mean or anything... put a knife to your heart, and seriously contemplate about it, not saying I want you to kill your self, but fear of afterlife scares a person into not plunging that knife into your heart... now the fear of dieing, yes, the fear of dieing is out weighed by the fear of life from others, imagin the fear a person would have to kill them selves... cowardly? hardly

"Fasion is a form of ungliness so intollerable, it must be changed every six months -Oscar wylde"
 35yrs • M •
That's right, the fear of doing it may stop someone, but your still missing the whole of what I was trying to say.

Instead of trying to work through it, you just give that. I don't call that brave, actually I find that cowardly.

I'm sorry, but I don't consider someone brave just because they don't mind pain. Brave is when you risk yourself in hopes to better the world in some way. By the way you are saying it, someone who likes to cut themself is "brave" because they can take, and sometimes enjoy, the pain.

40yrs • M •
Decius - i see the error of my thinking in my last post. it is very wrong to try and compare my own life to others, i do realize that. and i am very fortunate for everything i have, a roof, a family, 2-3 meals a day... im a lot better off than a lot of people in this world.

people who commit suicide (in the non war scenario) should in no way be considered "brave" but i do follow how a person with the prospect of either an afterlife *heaven* or "nothingness" would (at times) feel like dieing is a much better option than living. still, choosing the "better" option for yourself, pertaining to almost anything is a selfish act. it is human nature to be selfish, suicide is simply another act of selfishness... in no way is it a "brave" thing.

oh and lastly, it really is no ones business if a person chooses to commit suicide, they clearly had their reasons. i wouldnt be one to say or think "oh so and so is weak and pathetic, they just couldnt hack it in the real world blah blah blah" all im trying to say is that it is selfish, just like everything else that people do. and to me being selfish is not a bad thing, its just how we are.

why is suicide frowned on??? - Page 2
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy