If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you. - Oscar Wilde
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Questioning Reality: Are we for "Real"?

User Thread
 49yrs • M •
Plato2003 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I have a rather perplexing question that has been haunting me (& im sure many others) for some time now (hence, the subject title). I would appreciate any feedback from anyone interested on this subject.

"Carpe Diem"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that akexis is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yeah i said we r for real... it's no matrix thinggy.. lol we r for real..

"i'm not everyone n eveyone not me :) i'm ME"
 39yrs • F
A CTL of 1 means that Danipog is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Just think of us like a smarter version of a dog and we aren't so amazing anymore.

In my view, that's what human kind boils down to.

43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Crimson_Saint is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If you weren't real, you wouldn't be asking the question.

However you indeed have no idea whether or not I or anyone else is real.

"AIDS is God's way of sending Catholics to heaven."
 41yrs • F •
Unique is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Are we real? Well we have to look at the alternatives. We could just be sitting somwhere dreaming all of this like the matrix. Or this could be a giant video game and we are being played by beings that are really real.

Or this is it. We are hear and this is now. I'm going to go with door number three. Even if we weren't real to others (the people playing us in their video game) To us this is as real as it gets us and we can only base things off of what we know. Therefore this is reality, our reality and it is real. Does that make sense? Because it does in my head.

""Everthing is always o-kay in the end, if it's not o-kay it's not the end.""
[  Edited by Unique at   ]
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Just what do you mean "are we real?"
Do you mean 'does life really exist' or are you questioning 'does existence matter'?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that gothabomber is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well if we didn exist we wouldnt be thinking about it for one, so we can say weve got a mind but the mind can be decieved (some more easily than others) right? so whos to say we exist or not i mean how can u tell if this realyity and all thats init isnt a dream and were just sleeping, thers no sure way to tell...really confusing and deminishing once ya think about it

"everything but never anything"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well, when you think about it, what we think of as "reality" basically consists of a chain of moments that we experience. these moments are infinitely small and pass by us instantaneously so they all kind of blur into one. once a moment is experienced, it disappeares forever. however, if something is infinitely small timewise, it is basically nonexistent. so, individual moments are essentially nonexistent, but added together they form what we consider reality. so if reality is the culmination of basically nonexistent instantaneous moments, does that mean that it is also basically nonexistent? our states of being and thought disappear just as quickly as they emerge, even if there are a large number of them to make it seem like it takes a long time. so, my conclusion is that time is basically insignificant and meaningless--a culmination of illusions making up one big illusion, and this is reality. but, this is as real as it gets, so if reality isn't real, then i don't know what is.

"You are reading this."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that kevosworld is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What if we are the dream of another person in another world/ demenshion? I dont know i had this dream once that can pay tribute to this comment...

This is what i for sure think: i think therefore i am... lol thats it folks

"How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"
 40yrs • M •
Lifepost is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I believe our ability to learn is good enough evidence for the existance of our reality.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
theres really no way to know for sure, you could beat yourself up your whole life and never figure it out. just run with what ya got, whether its "real" or not isnt all that important anyway. altho i do wish i had the answer...

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 37yrs • M •
wats better, find out the answer or accepting that u cant but wishing u could. What could be accomplished if we can devise realtys

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Okay - If too many people climb out on this limb, it will break.

We may not be what we think we are. But we are something, because we're not nothing. So ofcourse we're for real.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 37yrs • M •
im not doubting that we are real becuase of course we think and feel but to what extent do we exist? What are the foundations of our reality?

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Elemental is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"I think, therefore I am"-true

I expand on this saying, I percieve it, therefore, it exists.
If it were "I think of, therefore, it exists" then whatever you think of would exist. That is either not true, or there is a part of our mind that stops us from actually thinking beyond the point of keeping it in our heads that some day we can breach.

What I think is strange is what are the foundations of our existence. Maybe there are other existances that have different rules, like no gracity, or no space and time.

Reality is based upon the definition of what is real.

"Fate is the shadow cast by the light of our choice. We can change our fate by altering that light."
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy