Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come. - cutencuddly
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Questioning Reality: Are we for "Real"? - Page 5

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
Misplacedmarblz is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Actually, I'm new. I stumbled onto your topic and was intrigued enough to join so I could comment : )

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yes, i've wondered over this as well. I mean ur entire perception of life would be different!. withought ur sense, there wouldn't be a 'I' per se. It would be like being unconcious, u wouldn't even be able to think withought any sort of language, in other words, it would be like non existance somewhat-and that 'state' is our true nature, one which is not defined by our experiances, which is pure.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 39yrs • M •
Misplacedmarblz is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Thats a good point. I wonder if the reason you don't remember your first four years or so is because your in this "blank state". I usualy though it was a more physical problem, being that your brain hasn't developed enough to remember those early years. However, I see what your saying about it being similar to an "unconsious state".

You probably don't remember the early years of your life, because you become aware of yourself and your need/ability to form memmories as you mature. When your young, you simply don't realize that you can remember, and haven't detected the patterns in the signals coming from your senses and memorized them (ie. formed memories).

I hope that made sense...

45yrs • M •
j222d is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
HAs anybody seen the simpsons couch gag where they sit on the couch then the "camera" pans back back then out of the house then to space then to milky way then other galaxies then dna strands then homer... what if we are just another proton/atom or insignificant particle in another giant galaxy.... trippy huh....

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
ok sleepingwraith tell us about your memory.. which i dont think is possible to remember..

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 93yrs • M •
drmk is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Plato 2003, questioning reality, asks: "Are we really for real?"

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic, some of it quite good. At this point I'd like to attempt a definitive answer to Plato's question. (^__^)

{This discussion that follows assumes a background in Formal Axiology, for this reason:
Since "reality" has some value, it helps to have a logical system explaining values to shed light on the subject. Formal Axiology (value science) does just that. It derives three basic positive, integral dimensions of value. They are designated S, E, and I. These are abbreviations for Systemic Value; Extrinsic Value; and Intrinsic Value. The system also derives -- by use of its 'value calculus' -- Transpositions of value. (These are mere fractions of value, worth little.)
The integral dimensions form a hierarchy, with S-value worth the least; E-value worth more; and I-value worth the most.}

In order to answer your question, Plato, we shall construct a miniature Ontology. Employing the dimensions mentioned above to measure and define new values, we arrive at -- when we apply them to the (undefined) primitive term: substance -- various degrees of substance, [Modes of Being], as follows:

Transpositional value: Ephemerality.
Systemic value: Essence.
Extrinsic value: Existence.
Intrinsic value: Reality.

As to their modes of subsistence: Ephemeralities desist.
Essences consist.
Existents exist.
Realities persist.

You ask "What is reality?" I have defined it as: Intrinsic-Being.
It is a high degree of subsistence, worth aleph-one (if the Continuum Hypothesis is accepted, as is reasonable to do, this cardinality is known as 'the power of the continuum.' In other words, Reality provides one with a treasure of value, an uncountably infinite amount of value. Conclusion: don't fight it, accept reality. Face it. You'll be glad you did.

Out of an undefferentiated universe we each carve out some properties which we designate as "real." When you call yourself, or anything else, "real" what you are doing is Intrinsically valuing it. You are calling it special to you. You are saying: "I'm going to give this my attention. I am going to give this a certain amount of focus!"

So, are you real? My answer is: If you say so. All valuation is subjective (to the valuer); and it is objective when analyzed by a value scientist, pure or applied. When a formula about values is put on the blackboard that makes it somewhat 'objective.'

You are as real as you want to be. Assert your own reality -- which is far better than merely to exist. To exist is infinitely better than merely to be an essence on paper -- a construct in someone's mind. Essences are posited, stipulated. Things in this world, including human bodies, exist. But you, as a person, are really real! Enjoy it!

To learn more about Formal Axiology go to this link and read some of the Articles, especially the papers by Dr. Robert S. Hartman:

http://www.hartmaninstitute.org/html/Research_topics.htm

37yrs • M •
wow very nice drmk..
i've always thought that too, that we allow things to become important, stressful, and overall "real"..

51yrs • F •
biggem28 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Big Grin from Big Gem..... Are we for real? first of all observing all the responses to this question, what do you think? Second of all..... what do you think? What I, or anyone else thinks doesnt really matter. does it? no offense to any and everyone. The beauty is is that we are ALL ONE. Notice how everyone answered differently? You can learn something about yourself just by reading each and every one of these answers.
In the end, you still have to answer the question for yourself. Are we for real? What ever your answer is, just brings you a little closer to who you REALLY are. In the greatest version of the greatest vision you've ever had of yourself.

LOVE and LIGHT

"WE ARE ALL ONE....there is no RIGHT or WRONG way.... just ANOTHER way."
 62yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lady Tazmanian is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm just a vivid of my imagination.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would think most people would take for granted that they are real since we think and experience. The question I often ask myself is 'Is anyone else real?'

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This point was stated earlier, the man in the video game is real isn't he? the cartoon is'nt non-existant, however the question is what 'state' of reality that thing is in. Me u are all real, but we do not know what we mean by 'real', as there could be countless other reality states

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 64yrs • M •
Just-a-Fool is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
We exist because we are a thought in God's mind. THIS IS THE ONE TRUE REALITY THAT WHICH EXISTS IN THE CREATORS MIND.

"Even with all its sham and drudgery your world can still be a beautiful one"
 37yrs • M •
then what if there is another dimension of reality that exists which we created in our own minds

where we're their god

[  Edited by analytical29 at   ]
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
which is precisely what takes place everyday.... we create and destroy...if your thoughts are constantly of poor quality.. death, destruction, fear, greed, desire...then you are the devilish creator to the creatures in your mind.......... If your thoughts are one of purity, love...then your creatures are harmonious...therefore making your reality harmonious, therefore your thinking becomes the substance of the almighty..........

YOU LIVE IN A DREAM......what form of thinking logically states that air is the substance that water is made from... air, an invisible thing!!!!........what form of thinking logically states that a lion, mane, teeth, saliva....is made from dust!....you live in the reality of a thought!...of sound, color, and thought.... your life is unimaginably wonderful and innocent....yet complciations arise when you don't know who you are!!!

and if you don't believe me...then leave a glass of water out in the sun...it will return to its making.....leave a carcass of a beast out in the open it will return to its making.....leave a flame/light to run its course....and it will return to its own making....Darkness!!!!............only in a real dream could this happen.....only a real dream creature like you, could think it!!!

"Being is not knowing!"
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Unclassified is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
reality cannot be separated from the way people make sense of it....NOTHING exists until someone forms it's existence....

"Do what YOU want to do in life, not what everyone else does..."
Questioning Reality: Are we for "Real"? - Page 5
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy