Choosing between republicans and democrats is like choosing between diet communism and fascism lite. - Marty Beckerman
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Inner Voice

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Inner Voice
I have been meaning to write up a thread about this in long while. I have thought about this longer than I can remember. This is a psychological phenomena that I find most remarkable.

I take a mental journey down a deep 'rabbit hole' and dive into a realm of mentality that can only be experienced individually. My inner voice continuously explores and explains, asking questions to myself and answering itself, almost simutaneously. Automatic, cyclic, unstoppable, eternally, it is the powerful base of my conscious thinking life. This is the window through which I perceive and explain my own experiences and emotions. My inner voice is primarily the same as my centre of speech in the brain. If I am engaged in speech, my inner voice is silent. But not always. It usually can't multitask, yet it is the system that requires the most brain power and is the most potent output of conscious thought. It can respond automatically. It can queue up a linkage of words and send them off to my medulla and think about other stuff whilst my body computes with the technical procedure or turning a queue of words into actual verbalisation. I may let my inner voice wander off on its own tangents as long as I hold onto this autopilot that controls the over-learned patterns of speech. My inner voice becomes silenced once I discover non repeated over-learned patterns of words.

When I look at something, my memory may recall something else and instantly start internally talking about that. This inner voice works symbiotically with memory functioning. My brain interacts with external stimulis found in the surrounding environment. A cyclic process of monologue. A machine is at work; my brain, as I wander through the maze of memory and the sensual experiences of my surroundings. This system is self-referential. The concious inner voice continously meanders through topics and responds with memory...stimulating more memories and thoughts. This is chaos theory at work. This is the cyclic beauty of the mind. This is the complexity of the massive neuronal and biochemical network, which will be occupied for the rest of our lifes. It is the ultimate expression of our consciousness.

It is part of our limbic system. And everyone has it.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 37yrs • M •
The Limbic system connects the upper and lower functions of our brains. So it is known as both the "Emotional Center" and the "Conscious system" of the brain.

Out of any part of the brain your limbic system is the core of your personal consciousness.

Feel free to share your thoughts.

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In my japanese class we very roughly touched upon 'Zen' And that got intoa discussion about what you are trying to say. From what I have read it seems like this is your intuition at work... A lot of people know what this is but choose to ignore it and refuse to take advantage of this phenomena. I'm not quite sure how to explain it but I know exactly what you're talking about.

It seems that the more you are in tune with this 'inner voice', the more clearly it is heard and more it shares with you. your conscious mind automatically filters out useless junk that passes through and goes to your subconscious thoughts.. If you have missed something or a problem just isn't clicking it pops in a tells you the answer. kinda like you forgetting someones name and you're sitting there and all of a sudden you hear that voice shouting out their name.. The answer has always been there. You're inner thoughts are there to help you out because your conscious mind is incapable of certain things...

I think I'm just running on now soo I'll just leave you to the translations please forgive me it's still early in the day for me.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 37yrs • M •
quote:
the more you are in tune with this 'inner voice', the more clearly it is heard and more it shares with you

A very valid point mugen. I am reading some psychological texts atm, but I guess at the same time, I want to ask members; does determining how one wishes to subconciously control their inner voice, inevitably determine their path in life? I think of it every day. It seems that the notion of a cognitive map is more than a figure of speech: there really is some representation of spatial layout in the limbic system, that determines our 'inner voice' so to speak (no pun intended). Our account of learning relies partially on this.

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i'm not quite sure how subconsciously controlling your subconscious would work.. Maybe I just read that part wrong =__=;

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That inner voice is a step in the direction of showing who you really are. It shows that in essence, you are not your personality, you are something greater. It is something spiritual, something which shows you a different side of existence, deviod of popular logic.
Summit, if you don't practice meditation already, I strongly advise you to start. There is so much more than one's inner vioce, you can go beyond simply listening to it, you can become it, letting go of your pre conceived notions of who you were and at the final stage realizing who you really are, that you are god.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 34yrs • M •
I was reading around about intuition and this article seems to fit very nicely with what angel is trying to say

http://www.innerself.com/Miscellaneous/awareness.htm

37yrs • M •
Mugen and Angel:

I appreciate your input. Thanks for the link as well. I understand what you are discussing about, and it is indeed interesting. I do meditate a little. Now of course what you guys have mentioned is very relevent, as it acknowledges another form of 'inner voice'. However the 'inner voice' that I explained initially, was not so much referring to the 'spiritual' connection but rather the internal voice that we experience every moment of the day. In other words, the way we speak to ourselves silently and how we think to ourselves. For example, if you approach a girl, your inner voice will be busy speaking during a social interaction, ie- "I wonder if she will say hello"....."I like it when she says that"...."I wonder if she will talk about so and so...". To put it simply, the cyclic process of monologue that your mind controls as an "inner voice".

Feel free to talk about either forms and expressions of the 'inner voice'.

35yrs • M •
hmmm, summit, if thats what you mean by inner voice, wouldn't it then be your thoughts then?
Inner voice in the traditional or spititual sense is something like intution.

34yrs • M •
Well summit, that's what I was trying to go for in my earlier post. I was just looking at stuff angel had said.

Angel: no, that inner voice is not just your thoughts. That would be your conscious mind thinking, not the other one. There is definitely a really big difference.

I've also been looking into some text about the limbic system and I'm starting to see the connection of that whole thing. But I need to read up on it a bit more before I go say this is that and this is why.

I actually had an experience not to long ago, maybe 10 minutes ago. I just had this funny feeling when I was playing my shooting game and something told me to just through a grenade in that direction. and of course i always listen to my intuition and needless to say I ended up killing someone by that grenade and winning the game. idk maybe that's not a good example but it sure does seem like it.

37yrs • M •
Angel, I'm not exclusively refering to the process of concious thought.

Thats funny Mugen, thats probably a better example than what I mentioned.

35yrs • M •
yes, situations when you just have a gut feeling, where you 'know' for some reason that does not appear to be logical, may be your intiution.
Where do our thoughts come from? Notice that no matter how hard you try, you can't quite figure out what is their source. Thorugh meditation you can suddenly realize the origin of these thoughts, and attain enlighnment. These thoughts are divine, since they come from an unknown source, and the source that they originate from is bigger than us, is bigger than our personality. Thats why moments of intiution come when we are not 'thinking' as such, when we are not engaged in logic, then our inner voice has a chance to speak.

37yrs • M •
The origin of thoughts is known already. Thoughts come from neuromagnetic signals which arise from structures that mediate our various sensory and cognitive mechanisms within the limbic system of the brain. Memory of our experiences as well as our cognitive state plays a key role in determining the 'inner voice'. Yes spirituality is a form of inner voice, but the majority of the inner voice has no relationship nor interaction with the stimulation of spiritual awareness.

35yrs • M •
yes, but you are only explaining how thoughts are formed, not who or what causes them.

37yrs • M •
Well Angel, if you correctly read the initial post the motive and focus of this thread was to explain the phenomenon of how the 'inner voice' are formed within the limbic system. Perhaps you have interpreted it differently.

Inner Voice
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy