Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Body Art/Piercing

User Thread
 2024yrs • M •
Otter_ is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Body Art/Piercing
I've noticed that there seem to be many more people with visible body piercings and tatoos so it seemd a reasonable topic of discussion.

Let me start by saying that I have a few piercings (3) and I'm in the process of finding a tattoo artist that can execute a design that took me years to make.

with the exception of a 14 guage single ear piercing, none of the modifications I've had done are visible, so I know, or at least believe, in my case the motive was not to either be part of a crowd or to distance myself from one.

I want to hear what other people's motives or thoughts, either for or against having things done.

What are your thoughts?

52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I like tattos and peircings its interesting to see them but i myself hve non and dont care to get any I like to look and not so much to show.....

Anyway it seeems a lot of folks get peircings or tatoos to show there individuality but so many look the same - There's the classic thorns or barbwire around the arm - sailor anchors on the forearms and the the the pattern over the kidneys for women- have not see this on a guy seems to be some sexualized thing but good god they are frighteningly ugly! So my thought is if your heading for something individualistic go for it.
Worst tatto i ever saw was this dude who had a picture of the fuzzy dice on the strings beneath each ear... Good lord I just about broke into a hideous laughter when i saw them.... poor dude must have been drunk.....(I hope)

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i very much want a single tattoo, but havent had a good enough reason, nor decided on something that i would really truly be happy with. it will probably be something only my wife and i will share and be aware of. (assuming i ever get married).

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I see most piercing as mutilation and body art as vandalism. Maybe because of my cultural background. I dislike pierced tongues, bellies, eyebrows, and chins. I think the human body is fine the way it is.

Like IR Me said, people get piercings to display their individuality, personality or social group. But when I see three rings on anyone's face, it bothers me.

Same thing with tatoos. The skin looks so clean until you get a tatoo.

I'm also against nail polish.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that A Distraction B is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
piercings are definitly a stupid way of fitting in. who knows if it works. i have 13 piercings. it started out when i was 4 i was like oh shiny!. i never did it to fit in with a certain crowd. I do it b/c i love the way it feels, i love the way it looks. yes it is very sexual, to me that is.

"you held my hem as I traveled blind listening to the whispering in my ear"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that starforsaken is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I am getting tattoos. i honestly don't know what of.

The best idea that i can come up with are two matching alpha/omega characters on my shoulders or forearms.

Something that describes me and the way i think in the abstract...and if someone saw me who thought alike, they would know it right away. Suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

"www.starforsaken.com"
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that AngelicUpstart is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have 3 tattooes. No piercings. I feel the same about tattooes as I do about designer brand labels. Nobody thinks its classy to have the designer brand splattered across the front/back of your garment in 6 inch high lettering. We don't need to know who makes it... or more importantly how much you paid for it!

Regarding tattooes: Mine are all on my back. This leaves me with a choice. I can walk into a room wearing a short sleeved blouse and skirt ..possibly in a work situation.. and nobody has to know that I have body art. Some situations call for discretion. I don't have tattooes so that I can publicly display them at every available opportunity. However, if I feel inclined to display the art, then I can wear a strappy vest and low riding jeans. This however, causes the additional problem of displaying my "love handles"

In response to starforsaken: I was 27 before I got my first tattoo. I personally, am glad I waited, because I know that the stuff I liked when I was a teenager is not the stuff I like now. However, using that theory, in 10 years time, I may come to hate the ones I chose.. hmms.. so,, I conclude,, I have no suggestions

"Be Afraid - the world needs more fraids!"
 38yrs • M •
haha...thanks

i'm mature enough (maybe that's being conceited) - i think i'm mature enough to decide on a tattoo i won't be embarassed of in the future. I just don't know what of . :S

"www.starforsaken.com"
 39yrs • F •
SheDiesTomorrow is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
maybe its not about fitting in. Maybe its about Standing out. Being weird is comforting.

"vegetarians taste better"
 38yrs • M •
agreed. This issue is really plaguing me.

"www.starforsaken.com"
 38yrs • M •

"www.starforsaken.com"
 38yrs • M •

"www.starforsaken.com"
 38yrs • M •

"www.starforsaken.com"
 59yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheIrishPagan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hey, starforsake, we hear you the first time!

I have four piercing, one in each ear, and the other two not visible, and I have my whole left arm sleeved, and working on the right, the upper arm is done.

When I got my first piercing and tattoos, it was still a sign of non-conformity and sensuality, depending on the pierced area. As I aged, and incidentally these things became popular, I switched mental gears. Now, my tattoos are an avenue for my self-expression. My left arm is covered in Dragons, each representing one of my children, and the other will be filled with wolfs, Celtic designs, and dominated by a Greenman Design. Those represent my Patron, and my primary Spirit Guide.

"Oops, it appears I have run over your dogma with my karma."
 38yrs • M •
that must have been a forum bug..

"www.starforsaken.com"
Body Art/Piercing
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy