Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

School girl frustration

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
School girl frustration
Why d people judge me based on my grades? People who don't know me call me smart and are in shock when I receive bad grades. I tell them that I work hard for my grades, but they never care about that. They never ask, "How many times have you been tutored this month" or "How much time did you sacrifice in order to study?" Geez. One of the main reason a lot of people get ahead in life is because they work hard to get where they are. (I'm not saying hardworkers always get to the top.) I just want to yell at these people!

Ok, so I'm being emotional. It's just that people I know well still attribute my grades to my intelligence. I'm not asking for praise, just understanding. Am I asking for that much?

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ahh the struggles of grade school..... how long has it been yet the wounds are as deep now as were they when I was just a lad in school.....

Looking back I wonder why I just did not cut out at grade seven and spend Tuesdatys in the Library i would have learned as much... except those cruel lessons society bestows on us and what not a better place to learn them over and over and over again in school.

It seems there is some huge need to have a concrete scale for everything - this is so that people don't become uncomfortable with abstract thoughts or ambigous results- everything needs to be measures in some way so all that info can be studied, applied etc with a minimum of hardship.

It is good that your trying hard school can be good and rewarding.... But mostly grade school just sucks.. College is way more fun, rewarding, meaningful etc....

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I know what you mean. When I first moved to my school, people were surprised that I got bad grades when report cards came along because for some reason they automatically assumed that i was smart academically. But the thing is, even through my bad marks, I get credited for other things like my artistic talents and giving good advice and for just knowing things your not taught in school--life things. So I guess you can either get new friends or just don't mind those people. Your doing the best you can so thats all that matters.

"Crap. I lost my watch, now I'm lost in time."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that [bastard_earth] is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I understand what you mean completely. most of what I was taught at school was of no aid to my life on the outside. basic english, and maths (only multiplication, subtraction, division and addition) were the only subjects that proved usesful in any way, because if you cant read, speak, write or count...what can you do? fucking vegetable. I liked english best though. it thought me alot, and still does.

"Never love anything enough that you cannot bare to see it die"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that White_Bishop is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree with you Attolia, I don't think that grades should be a representation of your intelligence or your charecter. If you need an example of this thought take Einstein High school dropout, who later became the man of the century. Some people are just not school learners. I am one who pulls some not so good grades in school but it is because I see much of the work as meaningless busy work, and I also have a tendency of skipping class often. My school is often in the library and the internet. I wish that school was structured in a style that allowed you to go into class, learn what you need, and leave when you're ready. I have a hard time sitting in class all day wasting my time away when I could be learning valuable things that interest me and will have more meaning in my life.

"Words are but the pathways for thought to travel from mind to mind"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that JimmyK is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yea i got the same problem. When people look at me they think "Oh! NO! another high school reject!".

They dont know me! Everyday when i go home i read a different book. Sometimes philosophy, or science, theology, physics, i cant learn at school because the teachers dont understande me, so i teach myself. I may look like a pothead, or a dropout, but inside im also a hard-working individual.

Hope that helps.

35yrs • M •
Yea i got the same problem. When people look at me they think "Oh! NO! another high school reject!".

They dont know me! Everyday when i go home i read a different book. Sometimes philosophy, or science, theology, physics, i cant learn at school because the teachers dont understande me, so i teach myself. I may look like a pothead, or a dropout, but inside im also a hard-working individual.

Hope that helps.

35yrs • M •
oops

36yrs • F •
Forgive those who misjudge you JimmyK. I was one of those people once, and there are times I still judge people from what I see. I've been less judgemental over the past few months and more open-minded. It sucks being judged on something like your performance in school. Have you ever tried bringing in one of your books to class and reading it? I think you would get different responses if you were seen reading about philosophy and science.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yea, like a swift kick in the face. unfortunately people are judged even more harshly for excelling academacally.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 59yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheIrishPagan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Having worked in the education field, I have witnessed exceedingly bright people fail miserably. I personal think it is the fact that public schools must cater to all students with one curriculum, regardless of that students learning capacity and capabilities. That leaves those at the upper edges of the 'curve' simply left behind, and in many cases ridiculed by their peers for being 'too bright' or a 'teacher's pet'. One young man in particular I came into contact with was tested well into MENSA level intelligence, but he failed his classes repeatedly, and eventually dropped out. Quite simply, he was bored, especially at the lower grades. This snowballed and eventually he lost all will to learn. A tragic situation, that seems to be happening more frequently.

There simply is something inherently wrong with the way our children are instructed in public schools. Charter, Catholic, Private and Sylvan institutions all appear to have a superior curriculum. When I participate in Living History demonstrations and lectures, there is a marked difference in the quality and type of questions students ask, between public and alternant school students. Teachers just do not seem to have the material, time, or support to apply additional materials to those bright students who desperately need the mental stimulation.

So to answer your question Attolia, do not blame yourself. Ask your teacher if there are subjects you can do for extra credits, I have always believed it is not up to the student to seek out additional studies. Or, as I have suggested to my oldest son's teacher, learn something new together; they are both learning gemology and the German language, the teacher literally one-step ahead of my son.

"Oops, it appears I have run over your dogma with my karma."
 37yrs • M •
I really liked your comment IrishPagan. I personaly do not consider myself at all to be stupid, and I am incredibly bored with school. Today in face I didn't even go to school b/c I Just didn't feel like sitting around in my classes. I really wish that teachers could be more personal, and stimulating. Without stimulating my brain I often times will overlook the schoolwork that is given and turn to my own personal research.
I really wish that school could be more of a learning experience rather than an adolescence holding camp.

36yrs • F •
You know what I really hate? People making me believe I am intelligent for having good grades. Ha! Good grades are a result of memorizing and spewing out material learned. Anyone who can cram can earn good grades. I've been living a lie.

37yrs • M •
Amen to that.

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Vortex271 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah, Amen to that! I know a lot about english and Science and other stuff, but I suffer from a complete lack of motivation. I get nineties on the tests and quizzes, but when I get home any incentive to do more work vanishes. I get sixties regularly on homework. I'm still smart, but if I don't know what year the Magna Carta Was signed and by who and where was it written and why I DON'T CARE!!!

Ahh.....That felt good.

""As I sit before the fire, I wonder how many before myself have been burned.'"
School girl frustration
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy