Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

why is suicide frowned on??? - Page 3

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
Extreame Angel is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Think about this.
who's gonna clean up the blood on the wall where you shot yourself? your mother? father? wife? husband? sister? brother? CHILDERN?
who's gonna cut you down from the fan where you hung yourself?
who's gonna drag you out of the water where you drowned your self?
who's gonna take your blood stained clothes from where you drove your self into wall, tree, whatever?
your Mother, Father, sister, brother, wife, husband, bf/gf, friend, kids????? huh? think about that!
take the person you most care about/love. how would you feel if they killed them selves because they thought no one cared about them. you never told them how much you appericatied them, loved them, cared about them....
how would you feel?
what if YOU were the FIRST PERSON TO FIND THEM DEAD?
that's what happened to my dad.
he found HIS MOTHER DEAD!!! she took a whole bottle of sleeping pills. he was 15. my age. he was with his best friend. (still his best friend today.) so ANOTHER 15 yr old had to see a dead woman. who he knew. pretty scary. he's 54 today. (today's my dad's b-day) he still has nightmares about that!! he's always telling me, "don't EVER claim suicide!!" can't say i don't think about it though. but, things always get better.

another thing to think about. what if you attempted suicide, but it didn't work and you still lived but had permente damage? what if you shot your self, but you still lived but you turned into a vegtable? or some other brain damage?
what if you tried to kill yourself by driing into a wall but a innocent child (or wo/men) walked out in front of you and you killed them? but you still lived?
what if you jumped off a bridge but landed on sharp rocks where they had to amputate your arm, leg, whatever because it was so screwed up and infected? and you still lived?

think about that

"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, and in purity"-1 Timothy 4:12"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yes exactly, and thats only a small portion of the things people should think about!

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 42yrs • F •
jen0807 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I think a lot of you guys miss the boat completely when it comes to suicide. Most likely because you've never really been educated about it, or you've never been seriously suicidal yourselves.

For one thing, you need to realize that studies show that about 90% of people who commit suicide, have some kind of mental illness. (Most often, mood disorders, like Clinical or Manic Depression.) This means that most of the people who kill themselves, are experiencing life in a way that you can't imagine. If you've ever had Depression, you'd know that it's a lot worse than any kind of "normal" sadness that the rest of the population would experience. So, you can't really judge the kind of emotional pain that someone has been experiencing...

As to the numerous comments people have made about being selfish...for one thing, most suicidal people have a constricted way of thinking. This will often (but not always) lead them to honestly believe things that aren't necessarily true. A lot of times, they will honestly believe that the people close to them are just burdened with them while they are alive, and that those loved ones will be better off once they're dead.

On another level, maybe they are thinking of themselves when they decide to kill themselves. Maybe they do finally want to end the pain and suffering that they've been going through. So I suppose, because they are acting in their own interest, that's considered selfish. But in that definition, most things that people do are selfish! In fact, if you think it's selfish for a loved one to kill themself, *because* it'll hurt the people he/she leaves behind, that's selfish too...you're putting your comfort/convenience over that person's suffering.

It's almost impossible to not act in a selfish manner...that's the way humans are, we act in our own interest. I don't think it should me made an argument for or against suicide.

Lastly, I find it amusing how some of you will say, "I think suicide is selfish", but "I'd never actually tell a suicidal person that." What do you think you're doing right now?!?! I found this website because I typed "suicide" into a search engine. This is completely open to the public, and anyone can read this stuff, including people who are suicidal.

Did you ever wonder why people don't seek help when they're suicidal? Part of the problem, is that there's this horrible stigma associated with it. Why would anyone want to admit that they're thinking of killing themselves, when society considers that weak, and selfish, and cowardly, etc etc etc. Maybe if people were more tolerant about suicide, then those who are suicidal would be more willing to seek the help they need, and not end up dead. So if you want to help people who are suicidal, maybe try educating yourself on the matter, and thinking with a more open mind.

Just a thought...

37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that [MiA] is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
you're 100% right

"The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care .... right ?"
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"get busy living or get busy dying"- Shawshank redemption

-I will confess to suicidal thoughts many times in my life and have turned back typically from a lack of courage rather than a from a sudden embrace of life. I struggled through many episodes of these thoughts and here is what I came up with. I thought that suicide would be a message from me to others as to just how unhappy I was- I think sometimes the Suicidal person wishes to convey this- that they are rejecting life as they feel they have been rejected from life. Also to me I feel many times are hard- I hate working, I hate where I live and sometimes the love from my signifigant other grows very thin etc,,, There are great times as well- I enjoy interactions with people, seeing new and wonderful things etc etc..my point is that the good aspects of life are worth wadding through all the crap. There is plenty of time for death in the end but the time for life is short.
Why is suicide considered selfish? God forbid someone cause pain for others in their passing- they should keep their chin up and tough it through anything to avoid causing hardship for others. I just can never understand that line of thinking- perhaps it the old "greatest gift of all" BS.
It is so damned sad that so many people can feel this way and there is so little help only shameing and guilt trips for them along witrh some very expensive counciling sessions.
For me life seems to be a dark path but the lights along the way seem to make it worthwhile.

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 52yrs • M •
"who's gonna clean up the blood on the wall where you shot yourself? your mother? father? wife? husband? sister? brother? CHILDERN?
who's gonna cut you down from the fan where you hung yourself?
who's gonna drag you out of the water where you drowned your self?
who's gonna take your blood stained clothes from where you drove your self into wall, tree, whatever? "

------------------------------------------------------------------
What a sad poem, so if your suicidal plan things out so its not an inconveinience for others....

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that UnderDawg is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't know if that was sarcastic or not, so if it isn't, just ignore this. Inconvenience? Don't you mean more like "permanent emotional and mentral trauma that you caused to all those you love."

"My drum skills > Your drum skills"
 52yrs • M •
There is some sarcasm therea swell as cynicism- Certainly there will be emotional damage to others my thought is that there are two sides here the sucidal person who is obviously going through a tremendous amount of emotional turmoil and ongoing trauma- vs the pain and suffering that will be felt by there loved ones So as someone who loves someone who is suicidal whould you want them to continually suffer to spare your emotional suffering if they should die? that is my point.

But let me be clear I do not think suicide is a good idea- we have all been depressed at times- life is not perfect but is worth living.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that UnderDawg is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

"My drum skills > Your drum skills"
 45yrs • F •
jade is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
The idea of someone wanting to commit suicide is somewhat fascinating and alarming at the same time. Many would agree that suicide is the most selffish act you could commit because you leave your loved ones behind. Although, I completely respect this opinion, I also feel that if someone is in a difficult situation like having a terminal disease and is in a lot of pain they ought to have the right to escape. No one else is going to truly understand the pain they are going through. If someone is having a rough night or they broke up with the one they loved, I tend to be less sympathetic. We all have bad days and the heartache of a break up is difficult but you move on. These are temporary situations that anyone can get through if they are willing to make the move. To me, it all relies on the personal situation. I do not frown on the idea but I think sometimes use suicide as an easy way out--a quick fix. One really needs to evaulate their "difficult" situation and seek help before making a permanent decision like death.[b]

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
a terminal disease will kill a person eventually anyway. what about a disease that isnt life threatening, but causes them chronic and severe pain? then can they kill themselves? wheres the line?

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 51yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Blissfull doom is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There must be very many reasons instances and situations that make people commit suicide, maybe I cant even begin to comprehend the simpler ones, maybe some think its a positive move and others dont know what they are doing, if you dont know I dont think you can judge them on selfishness, it just makes you realize that there is that raw edge on life and people and you have to take people seriously, instead of thinking its just a a carefree frolic, even when it is for you it might not be for someone else.

80yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that squatteam is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As far as why suicide is illegal, it goes back to the times when people clearly belonged to the royals and weren't freemen (as is the case in England today). Like any good 'farmer', they counted on the production of every 'cow'. If you commit suicide they lose production and money. Thus, the penalty, often exacted from the 'heirs'.

As for suicide itself, it is the extreme method of shutting down the senses. When I was going through tough times in my life - confrontations - I would close my eyes and try to get that old movie calendar to blow off some pages and 'fast-forward' to the end of the confrontation, or just go to bed and go to sleep: Shut Down. When my first wife died, I contemplated suicide. Instead I retreated inside myself until pulled out - with no help on my part. I can fully understand someone wanting to shut down. Individual values are so varied, that I'm 100% positive that each of us has a 'hot' button that if pushed would bring about the total desire for a total shutdown. It just depends on where you are in your life and how much that 'button' means to you in relation to the other 'buttons' in your life.

Instead of condemning suicide, we need to get in touch with our friends and family and find out what really makes them tick. What is that 'hot button'? No ridicule, no scorn, just an attempt to understand and make certain that that button doesn't get pushed, no matter how trivial it may seem to us.

"Popular dissidents are merely pacifiers given to us by the Government to keep us in line and thinking someone is making a ruckuss."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Warriors_X is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The best way not to get caught in suicidal thoughts is to have a future planned, to know exactly what you want to do and keep going for it.
I for one, want to leave a big scar on tyhe human race

"No matter how fast light thinks it is, it will always find that Drakness has beaten it and is already waiting..."
 56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Patrish is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Murder is wrong, and self murder is wrong.

taking a life, even your own is taking a life.

IF someone is capable of killing themself, they are not loving themself, and have a HUGE pride/ego issue to deal with.

IF everyone would kill themselves...what would we accomplish?

They are reasons for lives.....and if someone kills themself, and they were predestined to do something wonderful...they cut off the life's path for someone else possibly.

(Ex; future children, grandchildren...etc)l

"Life is full of lemons, and the lemonade is sweet."
why is suicide frowned on??? - Page 3
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy