One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man. - Elbert Hubbard
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

why is suicide frowned on??? - Page 4

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that weltanschauung is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Suicide is complicated. When you ponder on the thought of suicide, whether it be planning the act, or just suicide in general, you touch upon several different realms of life. You ask, why is it WRONG to commit suicide, and I ask you, why is it RIGHT to live? In order to answer your question, you would first have to know the value of life, because although the ultimate outcome of suicide is death, the foundation, and causes that motivate the person to commit such an act, is obviously,and undenyably [/i]life.
So the question for now, shouldnt be why is suicide frowned upon, but why is living, enticed? What is so great about living...Well, i've got my philosophy, if it weren't for life i'd have nothing to do. Which isn't that all life is...an endless succesion of time, within this time random events take place, and our minds kind of absorb all of these images and patterns, and all of this is taking place in the existence of space? When you put life down to a science, not even just the primal, and natural part, such as, we are here to mate,kill,and eat, but the foundation of the mating killing and eating, namely space and time, what is there really worth living for? I could go on relating this to religion,and all things spiritual and moral (not saying i would be totally accurate) but, thats for a different forum...lol, this all is extremely unorganized, sorry for any inconvienence.

""That all knowledge begins with experience, there can be no doubt...""
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
that is a very good point. life is the one reason why suicide isnt committed. aside from those with obvious mental disorders, when a person is contemplating suicide, the main and if not only reason for not actually going through with it is because of life. even if you believe in reincarnation, killing yourself marks the end of a chapter. my personal beliefs toward suicide stem from my value of life, not only my own but those around me. and as if i havent said it enough in this thread already... it is very selfish for a person to take their life away from themselves, as well as others.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
suicide as the most selfish thing huh?

Hmmm, I've come to notice that peoples all consuming (literally) desire to live and preserve all human life to be the most selfish thing I've ever seen.

Don't see how you say, well, as i've been saying lately on other threads we consume and destroy everything we come in contact with, including us and everything we make.

We claim to have God given rights to everything.

Killing yourself may just be pointless, we don't really know, it may be a big mistake, if you end up somewhere you like even less per se'.

But while we are still attempting to be politically correct and are determined to promote that a meaning of life exists regardless of no one knowing it, you won't hear many people in american society promoting it, killing of any sort (other than non human entities of course, kill away right), mainly cause that challenges religious beliefs and you know how stubborn they are.

They do actually have japanese insurance policies that allow payment even in the event of suicide, which under a discrace or family emergency is indeed considered honorable, I've heard of a policy like that around the states but don't know if its true.

Once overcrowding becomes more widespread around here we will have very different feelings about the value of life and issues like abortion, euthinasia, suicide, capital punishment, even murder.

Suicide is only bad if indeed all (human or other) life if truly sacred and if we aren't the plague of the earth, so once you get all figured out then we'll see what we have

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that secret07 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Decius, so its ok to kill yourself if your in a bad position compared to someone else? i agree that no one can fully understand someone elses views on life, but you dont have to have an awful life to be miserable. take me, i have a perfect life, really, and yet before i became a Christian i was truly miserable. i was never suicidal, but i think that was just becasue i have a naturally optimistic view on life.

if what you say happens, and society stops caring about what happens to the people that make it up, wouldnt that be the end of civilization?

"life sucks but its better than the alternative"
 62yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lady Tazmanian is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Firstly, no one can ever judge another person's level of pain, nor can they judge the threshold every person has.

Exactly, Decius.

Suicide is final.

Final for a person that has suffered so much.

Final for a person that had a chance to live a wonderful life.

I'm older than most of you, albeit not necessarily wiser. With age, it's conceivable that I've experienced many years of triumph along with tragedy.

The only words I can offer to anyone who is suicidal; the pain you feel today, tomorrow or possibly in the near future, can be substituted. You're pain can be terminated, while continuing to live.

It's so flippen unfair that anyone has to endure so much pain by themselves. If anyone ever needs to talk, please feel free to write to me.

50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Suicide is a choice. Just as there is a reason and a purpose for life, there is also a reason and a purpose for suicide (same for every possible experience that has ever and will ever exist).

I don't think that by saying suicide is okay means that suddenly the suicide rate would skyrocket. Just like by legalizing drugs, the entire world would suddenly become drug addicts.

They are choices we all have

Sometimes suicide teaches the people remaining to be more considerate and compassionate. When we see someone die by any method, especially someone young it makes you sit up and take notice of what their life represented. Suddenly the words they spoke carry so much more meaning.

A good friend of mine killed himself in high school it altered my perspective greatly, and many other people who knew him, for the better.

I guess all I'm saying is that there is a purpose for everything.

"Love everyone, question everything and look up!"
 46yrs • M
well at least that there is a good and bad too all based on general notions of the words, purpose is debateable, seemingly only able to be understood or implemented by an intelligent source of all existance, then only such a source could say that purpose exists in regards to a meaning of life, because so far what I've seen described as purpose didn't seem to serve much more purpose than to make others believe that purpose exists.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
But wouldn't you consider the idea that sometimes suicide makes people more considerate and compassion a purpose?

That's just one example of the effect suicide may have and I'm sure there are many.

Purpose is just something that leads to an end resuilt. People still living becoming more compassionate and considerate would be one possible end result.

"Love everyone, question everything and look up!"
 46yrs • M
Because of the word purpose's infinite possible applications I specifically was referring to a purpose or meaning to life, in terms of is there any and who would know (besides "god" and would we know if they know for sure.

Honestly on one level I regard consideration and compassion byproducts of social emotional interaction based on, as living biological creatures, nothing more significant than survival instincts. If the concept I refer is unclear let me know, I've gone into it some more on other threads but just want to answer only the questions you have while repeating and rambling.

But on another, such as the current existance of a consistently existing (in terms of reality, I wake up everyday and the same world and emotion based society is still here, unchanged for the most part) From that perspective I believe greatly in such concepts of compassion, it is one of the base concepts for what I understand to be or lead to a higher understanding.

I have had my own experieces open my eyes on some things from a young age as well, and so far from what I can tell, I can understand and agree with what you said in the context aforementioned.

62yrs • M •
NixonsGhost is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I think individuals who feel that suicide is "wrong" have a self-elevated sense of themselves within the universe. From a macro-universal perspective, it's really insignificant if an ant in a far corner of the galaxy jumps off of a bridge. Suicide, like abortion, is a personal choice that each individual should have the right to exercise without any correlated bullshit from society. It doesn't necessarily have to mean that they hate themselves or are self-loathing. We over-emphasize the quanitity of life without any thought to the quality of life. My life is good and I'm having a great time, but I can tell you, at the point that the quality sucks, if there's no chance of it improving, I'll gladly check myself out. I mean, we put our dogs to sleep because it's the "humane thing to do". In that the word "humane" derives from "human", why don't we apply the same lack of judgment when the issue is applied to people?

"Is there a pragmatic society?"
 46yrs • M
"I think individuals who feel that suicide is "wrong" have a self-elevated sense of themselves within the universe."

I think you give people that make blanet statements too much credit. They usually only say that because thats what they were taught (don't forget its a one way ticket to hell according to some), and that they may not want to lose someone, obviously.

38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Astarte is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I tried suicide twice,
and honestly looking back,
if I had succeeded,
I would hope people thought I was a cop-out.

We all suffer, life .. the ones who end it are the ones who take the "easy" way out, and honestly, I have no goddamn respect for them. Even Elliott Smith, his work is beautiful but his suicide was a bloody negation of the respect I once had.

But then again, like its already been mentioned, it's a personal choice. How I choose to react to it is my ordeal, and since they're dead anyway, I don't care to think back on it. They just shortchanged the world of what they could have offered, who they could have touched, who could have loved them. They're non-existent.

"Milk, almonds and pistachios."
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ITISASISEEIT is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think suicide can be justified. If someone is in pain for long periods of their life and medical science cannot help then why shouldn't they be aloud to terminate their life? I think that Free will should give us this choice. This issue becomes blurred when it involves euthanasia, no not youth in Asia, Euthanasia, which means Good Death in Greek. This is assisted suicide; I think it can be justified as well, for example if someone is in serious pain. Other reasons such as depression, I think do not justify suicide. Its an easy way out I can see why this is frowned upon. I know a severely disabled guy who lives life to its fullest, this attitude can inspire us all.

By the way how do you add a picture to profile?

"Great visions often start with small dreams"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have to admit, I have thought about suicide as well, but like Hamlet, I worry that being dead might be worse than being alive...Besides, everything about the nature of life strives and struggles to survive, to continue living...It's seems part of the principle of life...I wonder if the nobility of a human being is achieved by what he does to overcome pain and misery, that living despite adversity and conducting himself in a way that expresses bravery is beauty itself...Suicide may be eliminating one's possibilty of achieving spiritual nobility...Just a thought...

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
 32yrs • F •
jesusfreak16214 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
suicide is frowned on because it is killing. is not killing wrong? it goes against moal standards and laws. that brings me to another subject. is not abortion wrong?

why is suicide frowned on??? - Page 4
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy