Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

I met my boyfriend on the internet..so what!

User Thread
 41yrs • F •
NightSkyz is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Im posting this because I am frankly FRUSTRATED at the responses I get when I tell people I met my boyfriend online.
Here is the story -->
When I was sixteen, a guy IMed me and we talked. As time went on, we had really good conversations, intellectual fun, lively conversations. Nothing about sex or cybering or whatever. This guy became a really good person I knew online that I wish I could see in person. Eventually, we turned to talking on the phone. He was in florida, I was in new york.Then when I turned 18, during my winter college break, I decided I would finally go down there to meet face to face. So we met. And we wanted to continue our relationship in person. And we did. This coming January will be three years that we will have been together as a couple.

Now, people think that I was online looking for people to go out with, or that I am one of those people on tv who go meet people they meet on the internet just to have sex with them...and all the other really stereotypical impressions that are out there.
Yes, the internet was where we first "met". But ours is a really meaningful relationship. In our modern society, the internet has become another way to communicate. Yes, it is also a dangerous place, but dating people in "real life" can also be dangerous. All I'm saying is, please stop making immediate judgements just coz people meet online!

"Live and Let Live"
 48yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that brann22 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
All I'm saying is, please stop making immediate judgements just coz people meet online!
--whoa!! Whos judgeing you. Sounds like your a bit insecure there! Just tell people you met him in Florida. That is were you officialy met him right!
CHILL and dont care what others think!!

"Why try so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out!!"
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't think its necessarily a matter of caring what others think, even though we all do to an extent, I think its more that people prejudge on the basis of, in this case Internet dating. If I told someone I met my wife at a strip club what would they automatically assume?

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that UnderDawg is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would just like to applaud you on your honesty. I myself met the one I am deeply in love with (yes, I'm 14, so what?) online.

I have hard a time with my friends, and family (mostly my father) in the fact I am in love with someone I've never met in person. A good friend of mine, Tyler, uses the words "pussy" and "loser" when I mention my online girlfriend. And to make things worse, MY FATHER uses words like "desperate" and "sad" when I mention her. So, I feel your pain as people do need to be more understanding as to how relationships start.

"My drum skills > Your drum skills"
 67yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that ForumFan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I met my husband online in 1998. I lived in Georgia and he lived in England. I moved to England and we've been married almost 5 years now. We both had businesses and were just too busy to date. The computer was a bit of diversion, and neither of us ever thought we'd meet anyone *important*. Well we were wrong. In less than a month we found ourselves deeply in love and talking the 'M' word. I guess stranger things have happened.

Everyone back home thought I was going to get mixed up with 'Jack the Ripper'. Once they met him, they chilled out big time. They all love him and are thrilled that I'm so happy.

I find people over here are fascinated by my story (and my accent).

"My Dogma ate my Karma"
 44yrs • M •
Does anyone ever ask you if you were in Golden Girls?
It takes a big man to admit he's watched that show, he he he.

67yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that ForumFan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Golden Girls??? HaHaHa.... Maybe Designing Women, or Steel Magnolias, or even Fried Green Tomatoes. When I'm ready for Driving Miss Daisy... maybe you can be my chauffeur-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r.

"My Dogma ate my Karma"
 44yrs • M •
Oops!!!! I said Golden Girls, I meant Designing Women...oops, what a dumbass.

45yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Aura is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah, don't worry about those people.

The internet is just another medium of communication. Maybe it's because it's relatively newish so people might be iffy about it (when the first car came out, people were like "yeah, that's never gonna last. you should get a dependable horse" ).

Nowadays you can even get creative with webcams, mics, and speakers and all.

"I'm here to live... OUT LOUD!"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Designing Women

I went online to find a woman and read my email. I found one, she is my wife, we've been married for almost two years.

http://theinsideout.us/wedding.html

We met on Third age. I think one reason it worked out so well is because there were no photos. You exchange messages and then photos. You know you can't judge a book by its cover.

I did it because, why not, nothing else worked. And suppose my wife did the same thing, as she also had been married before. We dated for about six months. Moved in with eachother for a year and then got married.

Here is a wise saying. WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Don't know who said it. But I bet you think things that other people don't like.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that [MiA] is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
okcitykid
i'd like to say that a book's cover is imortant too , just like the title
i know that judging by looks is "BAD" but that's the way we do it ... a person's appearance can tell a lot about that person a lot of times i see someone and i can tell if i'll get along with them or not
so i don't think the photos is the case
of course it proves that you were really intrested in eachother , so interested that you didn't even care about looks. but i think it would've still worked out well even if you saw her picture

and about online relationships - those are kinda silly
but nothing wrong with using internet to meet people
a guy i know just got married - he met his wife online , got into a nice convo , and then found out that they live one block from each other
so they met
and they're happy now

"The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care .... right ?"
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Maybe meeting people online is the way to go- you can pick up info on the person and find common intrests without dealing with physical attraction complications or biases.
I have heard of a few couples who eventually married and one horror story- This dude I knew chatted daily with this girl from Barbados I beleive anyway the decided to meet at an airport in the US they flew there and did not find each other each sat around waiting not realizing they were within feet of each other for hours- that was how bad there discriptions of each other were.- True story if not dumb

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 44yrs • F •
a fallen angel is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
yeah i agree that we have to look at the cover too,, for myself! i caaan never live with a guy that is,,,,!!! yiikh!

but meeting ppl online,! oh dont think it is good, u never know they r saying truth or not, u have to thanx God that in florida u didn meet a fat guy instead of ur wife now!!!

"where i am?!"
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hey what is wrong with meeting a fat guy?

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Warriors_X is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
lol, the opposite of whats bad about meeting a skinny guy =D

"No matter how fast light thinks it is, it will always find that Drakness has beaten it and is already waiting..."
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy