You can't truly see the connections between things so how do you truly know they exist? - gothabomber
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Does Time Even Exist?

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that UnderDawg is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Does Time Even Exist?
This is a question I was pondering for some time in geometry on Friday.
People say that time in itself is a dimension and affects all things, people, stars, etc. But in a way, time is only what we use to measure certain events happening. People say that time can weather mountains, but isn't that just the effect the wind is having on the mountain?
I'm just sayin that in my opinion, time doesn't exist, because it's just the effect atoms have on other atoms. Any thoughts?

"My drum skills > Your drum skills"
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Crimson_Saint is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Time is a way of measuring change. For example, the expression "time weathers mountains" means that yes, technically its the wind, but that they are not timeless (ie changeless).

We often lose track of time if we are in a situation where change is not easy to measure (say in a cave) and we have a great grasp of time when things are recurrent and change at the same speed (knowing what year it is).

"AIDS is God's way of sending Catholics to heaven."
 40yrs • M •
Deadpool is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Time, in my opinion does exist, and ill tell you why.

1) Time is a man-made principle, based of the movement of the heavenly bodies, which were set in motion by God. We can, literally watch time tick away, both from measuring devices, and by watching the sun set. And, as Crimson_Saint said, timeless equals changeless. Everything changes, therefore time does exist.

2) If time didnt exist, think how chaotic the world would be. We already move at our owns speeds enough, without thought of others. How much more scary would it be without any kind of accountability?

-Deadpool

"Im not predujiced, I hate everyone equally -WC Fields"
 70yrs • M •
Horace is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Time exists, but it is relative, not constant. We measure time compared to our accumulated experience: to a one-year-old, six months is half a lifetime; to a fifty-year-old it is one one-hundredth of a lifetime. By the time one is 100, years flash by like reflectors on the interstate. The actual year is the same length for the one-year-old and the 100-year-old, but it seems 100 times longer to the one-year-old.

On the physical level, I think the Einsteinian relationship between time and the speed of light is misunderstood. I don't believe the speed of light is a barrier to travel, as early twentieth century wags believed the speed of sound was a barrier to travel. I also do not believe as many science-fiction writers apparently do that traveling faster than the speed of light will reverse the aging process. But as the recording of images or patterns conveyed by light or other radiation is the only means available for verifying an event (say, a bolt of lightning), being able to travel faster than the speed of light would in theory enable one to see the same event twice, once as it occurs and again at a distance ahead of the transmission of light. As there was in reality only one occurrence of the event, seeing it twice would imply a traveling back in time to re-witness it.

But the time-reversal theory breaks down when one imagines attempting to witness the same event twice from the same location. If traveling faster than the speed of light really reverses time, then it should be possible to witness our original lightning strike, zoom an appropriate distance out and back faster than the speed of light and re-witness the same lightning strike from the same position. But no matter how fast we fly, we are using a discrete amount of time from our perspective to do so. We may witness the lightning strike again from some distance out on our way back to the original point, but when we get back the lightning strike will be gone no matter how fast we have travelled.

Gotta go. Out of time.

"I love you to the height, and depth, and breadth my soul -- is that a cheeseburger?"
 43yrs • M •
We probaby cannot go faster then the speed of light , no matter how hard someone might try.

56yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Rushuka is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There can be no Measurement without Existence. Time and Space (Volume) are measurements of existents / continued or repeated manifestation. The questions ... 'Does time really exist? or... Will the Universe come to an end? We must first answer the question that proves we have obtained Existence. Which we have not...
More?

[  Edited by Rushuka at   ]
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yes, time exist and it's existence is one dimensional. Not to confuse the measure of time with the passage of time, the time line we relate may be guaged by motion of heavenly bodies or the motion of electrons even cyclic events represent distinct segments of time. Everything exist relative to the first order of existence, time.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 56yrs • M •
I know of which travels faster then the speed of light...

43yrs • M •
Really?

56yrs • M •
Processing Thought ...
Einstein,Hawkins and others have not examined the reactions caused by the speed of Processing thought. Travel at or beyond the speed of light causing a rift in space/ time. Everyone has been working the equation forward. (Common Theory) "Build a rocket ship that can obtain the speed of light and that will allow us to go back in time.
We have already figured out that we dont need a rocket ship to travel. Our journey has been taking us back.

43yrs • M •
Thought is a very slow thing. It can take seconds for us to react to something while driving, hours to figure out a mathematical equation and it took humans 2 million years to figure out what we have so far.
I doubt you will have anything to back up your theory, but please feel free to say so if you do.

56yrs • M •
You refer to an action/ movement after the fact. Thought is processed on multiple levels...Most are only aware of the first 2 levels. Example: You are working a math problem in school but at the same time you process a future unwanted appointment with your doctor, all of a sudden you process that you didnt turn of the the bath water briefly touching the 3rd level.
I have techniques to obtain the 5th level so far..will make your hair stand on end...Im not talking about mega memory stuff...I refer to processing 5 events simultaneously...Care to journey...?

43yrs • M •
I'd say yes, except I've had bad recent experiences with an arbitrary panacea on these forums from a person who's style of posting is remarkably similar to yours.
So, no thanks.

59yrs • M •
deja-who is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
"Build a rocket ship that can obtain the speed of light and that will allow us to go back in time."

NO! this is a mis conception
if you where on the rocket and you traveled away from earth and was able to keep your home town and people in it constantly in view.
as you gradualy moved up to the speed of light you would notice that everyone is slowing down and eventualy stop.
the same would be true of the observer from earth watching you.
However if you stoped traveling an the rocket stoped and you looked back at the town people would then continue moving and you would perceive the pasing of normal time.
however, if you now make the journey back to earth while watching events in you home town
your experience would then be that as you speeded up on your way back to earth you would notice that people in your vilage are now moving faster and faster up to apoint where it be comes a blur.
and if befor you made your journey back you notice a young girl starting to paint a portrait.
if your journey was instant from far enough away.
then when you arive you would find the young girl has painted 100 pictures.

so traveling at the speed of light d does not allow back ward or forward time travel it simply suspends it or allows you to get closer to the the events you are perscieving from your location in space.

41yrs • F •
Nem Qué is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Isn't Time best viewed as a co-dimension of Space? Time doesn't exist in it's own right -I mean, the concept of Time would make no sense if there was no physical Space for it to take place in. There would be nothing for Time to happen to. Distances make sense by virtue of Time and vice versa; it takes a certain amount of Time to travel a certain distance. Can you imagine it taking no time to travel from one physical object to the next without imagining both objects to be in the same place? This implies that every physical object must be located both spacially and temporally, as we can only conceptualise physical activity as taking place within a kind of framework of Time.

Time is possibly a human construct but this doesn't necessarily make it less real; we can, after all, only view the world from a human standpoint. I haven't really read anything on this subject so I've no idea how time can be applied to abstract concepts like thinking, apart from the physical process of brain activity (which I don't believe is the full definition of thought -I don't believe the brain = the mind). but for all else I find it impossible to forma concept of either Time or physical Space without reference to the other.

"boredom is the only crime"
Does Time Even Exist?
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy