In order to be free, you must first know that you are free, and then you must believe it, because what you know is what you are and what you believe is who you are. - ravenclaw
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Does Time Even Exist? - Page 3

User Thread
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
wow you guys think to much i cant even comperhend what you are saying ur on a totally different level than i am.
A good & valid point, not a put down. the current theme is rather the theoritical & subjectiveness of time & space?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Danny123 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In response to the first question: Yes, I had the same thoughts myself. A few other things you might like to know:

-This theory is taught in philosophy class in college as one of the accepted theories of time.
-I've learned that this is a common insight gained by people practicing certain kinds of Buddhist meditation.

-I think also that 'the atoms affecting each-other' in our brain give the illusion of time flowing outside. Which in my opinion is the real reason for people being lead to believe that time is a dimension.

-Also that if people are to understand this theory of time they must first understand cause and effect. And to do that would mean accepting the absence of our 'free will' among other things. And that would be a real threat to their sense of self.

You're real thinker. I hope you have the confidence to believe in what you think is true and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

72yrs • M •
ok, & as boilogical life is based upon the effect (distinctions) of molecules whose basic structure is atoms & their geometric relationship to themselves. (not only type of bonds but the rotation & spin relations as well)

205yrs • M •
::F34L3SS:: is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Time dose not exist ,it is man made , a restrictive to stop us from finding the truth , a restraint, it boarders our harizons , makes us hoo we are? and makes us late for skool !!!
I am much looking 4rd to Philosophy in the coming years.

"ignorance is bliss"
 72yrs • M •
Of course, time is relative to what space you are in (discussing). the nature of individuality, as a living being is a perception of it's being & therefore the nature of his existence relative physical existence. It is subjective as well as substantive. The spritual nature is exist as part of that relationship to the physical (realm) nature.

[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Time itself is not relative, only the perception of time is relative. Everyone has his\her own perception of time. It is also a mystery as to what is the true speed of time. Imajine that a bird is flapping it's wings. We will view it at a particular speed. Now, if a higher being from some other universe comes, who is mentally superiour, it will seem to him that everything is very slow, becasue he processes everything more quickly., while to us things may seem normal.

Time is not a seperate quantity. You can say it is just a process. It is just a feeling.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 72yrs • M •
Ah, yes a bird on the wing but looked at the bird itself?
Our perception of self we see the bird as being less (lower)
then us yet to take wing, to sense the air flow though the quiles of feather,
thin hollow bones made light to fly?
Is the atomospheric pressure unconscious awareness felt in these bones too? To see with the eyes of the hawk, dim awareness we perceive of what his mind sees?
Ppl have pets to which they apply perceptions of human life.
Some dress them in linens while others prepare some feast.
Each being is different but does these differences effect the flow of time?
Does not the clock reain constant, even though some pass,
the rate of grow may differ but all grow old & die?
The more things change the more they remain the same.
As the river of time (life) flows by . . .

35yrs • M •
I don't see what clocks have got to do with time. They have got nothing to with time.
I am slowly starting to beleive that there is no such thing as a 'Life force' called time. We have just given a name to one of the many parts of life, for our own conveniance.

51yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Blissfull doom is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Time to early humans was the course of the earth round the sun and the seasons,so is time not just distance, were the first clocks then regulated measured against the distance around the sun, is it not then just a human measure, like any other. Something that always perplexed me is how can the beginnings of the universe be seen through a super telescope, in which direction through space do you look to see the past, why cant you see where the earth was 100 years ago surely there is no direction in space as there are no magnetic points to to give you north etc. Try breaking time down on a calculator as seconds minutes hours days weeks months year as in 365 days and back to seconds.

72yrs • M •
Nice thought,
quote:
We have just given a name to one of the many parts of life, for our own conveniance.

By Jove I think he has got it!
quote:
surely there is no direction in space as there are no magnetic points to to give you north etc
well I would question that perception? As the earth spins & the moon rotates the axis of that rotation point toward specific locations. As molecules form dipoles which act upon the molecule as a whole then does not the spinning of the galaxy (Milky Way) form magnetic poles?

35yrs • M •
We can't see the earth' past because we are on it! Right now if I went some 100 light years away, than I would see the earths as it was some 100 years ago or something.
Technically, we can see the earliest stars etc, but we can't actually see the big bang it self Because the big bang didn't take place at one point of the universe!

51yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Blissfull doom is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I may be wrong but im sure that a compass will just spin round and round in space, the milky way doesnt appear to be one mass like the earth, hmm and i've never heard of any magnetic poles in space, a lump of mass reacting to other lumps of mass may effect rotation to specific points, but I dont see how void and space can have magnetic poles, do molecules have magnetic poles? Is the milky way just a whirlpool in space , whats at the centre of the spiral galaxy, a black hole? or is it the effect of other galaxies and bodies outside the milky way that make it spin around a centre point? Maybe its all the super small quantum things that effect the larger bodies .

72yrs • M •
Good question?
Where does the earth's magnetic field emiminate?
Electro magnetic fields are formed when an electric or magnetic field spins or the field strengh varies?
1) So does the magnetic field around the earth come from ferro-magnetic material in the earth?
2) Or do charged particles in the earth (atmosphere & crust) produce an electric field?
3) The moon - earth rotation produces the electromagnetic field?
4) other?
quote:
do molecules have magnetic poles?
Yes, they do. http://home.earthlink.net/~clayturtle/maza_1.html or http://home.earthlink.net/~clayturtle/bio.html Also note http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/thrdid=24986-u-frmid=23-u-page=0

quote:
Optical isomerism is a type of stereoisomerism that arises when an object & its mirror image cannot be superimposed on each other. (Pg. 595)
Unlike structural isomers, optical isomers are identical in all but 2 respects: Optical isomerism plays a vital role in living cells. Nearly all carbohydrates and amino acids are optically active, but only the one isomer is biologically usable.

35yrs • M •
C-Turtle, u really know how to make an interesting conversation go dull!
Anyway, we can continue discussing electro magnetic firelds in some other thread.

So then, is it agreed that time is not some mysterious 'force', it is just comparing different events?If no events took place, there woud be no time. Of course, maybe we are talking about psycological time here, but isn't physical time the same thing.

72yrs • M •
Science says the is so old via radiation technology, halflife of carbon-14, etc, etc . . . Does it really make the earth that old?
quote:
Of course, maybe we are talking about psycological time here, but isn't physical time the same thing.
To whom does it matter? A 100 years from now will any of this have had any determining factor?

Does Time Even Exist? - Page 3
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy