Your heart understands what your head cannot yet conceive; trust your heart - cutencuddly
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Does Time Even Exist? - Page 5

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
Part_time_punk is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I'm just about to do physics at degree level, so I know some things about time.

firstly, you can not go faster than the speed of light.

When something moves, it'll spread all the energy it has got for movement, out among the dimensions. (just think about the normal 3 dimensions and time for now.) We're always using some of the energy to go through time right now because we're getting older. If you move faster, you have to 'give' more energy to moving in that direction and take it away from moving through time. That's why when the astronauts were in space for 6 months, their watches showed that less time had for them - because they were moving so fast. The speed of light is the smallest possible mass (light - effectivly having none) using all of it's energy to travel in one straight line..therefore, the lightest possible 'object' moving through just one dimension can move at that speed, c. You cannot get faster then that.

(Plus, anything with a mass at all gets heavier the faster it travels, so the closer a spaceship were to get to the speed of light, the heavier it would get, the more power it'd need to get to the speed of light, the more power would make it go a little faster, but then it'd get much heavier...you can't get that much energy really).

2) time does exist. the arguement that it's something developed by humans is such a pretentious statement. just like we move through space and we can measure it (in miles per hour for example), we move through time, and we can measure it (in seconds). Just because we have devices for measuring them on our wrists, doesn't mean it's a concept invented by us.

umm...that's about it. I agree with the guy going on about einstein's theories, i read a couple of books about it and it's nice to see someone educated put a view forward, rather than someone just sitting about thinking up something as ridiculous as 'time doesn't exist' just because they don't have the understanding to work out they're wrong for themselves.

scientists take the fact that time exists and is relative, and that nothing can go faster than the speed of light, and other assumptions you can't really understand without an education for granted. and look where it got them - satellites in space, trips to the moon, splitting the atom, nuclear power etc. Scientists 1 - idiot sitting in chair who thinks up stupid things 0

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 35yrs • M •

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
so PTP...if I may say....Time exists......grant you that.... came with a pretty good argument......but if you have no perception of something then it doesn't exist to you!!!....is that stupid?? or is that facts!!!...... If you consider yourself timeless, freemoving, then you're without boundaries....no measurements to keep you boxed in....and if you have no perception of the measurements then it doesn't exist!!...right? Now time will exist to everybody that's dependent on the measurment of momentary intervals.....anybody who's in some sort of order pertaining to the laws of mankind...... And for people like me, who consider the laws of mankind as dead weight....I say that time doesn't exist...The laws of life are the only laws that matter right now...the laws of nature... the laws of being!!.......and when those are your only laws.. then you're lawless to man.....yet able to keep mans laws without much effort........Time?...I laugh at the thought of it... you take it seriously and are stressed by it....lol....ahaha

"Being is not knowing!"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the very question that 'what is time' remains unanswered to this day, probably because time is an abstract concept.
the fourth dimension does not exist literally, the so called 'space time' is just simple common sense, a concept we'v all been using.
ptp, define 'time',

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that starforsaken is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Of course the foruth dimension exists. Since Riemann's mathematical formulae of the 1800's, we have been using it's structure. Humans are simply not capable of grasping it visually.. yet.

"www.starforsaken.com"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i agree with 730..

Man sets his own limitations, and if man sets time as one of those limitations then it will exist, period.

i think that it is naive to say that there is nothing faster than the speed of light.. (do i have to mention when people thought we would never step foot on the moon, or even when they were confident that the world was flat)

try to get away from all that you think know ptp.. and try to realize that all that we can be sure about is nothing at all..

have an open mind..

a true wise man will not call anyone an "idiot" cause he knows that that would make him one as well

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 35yrs • M •

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
to S.W....statements as ordered...

1. but that's where confusion comes in......I accept that people consider time and that there's a measurement created by mans need for pace......things just appear as they are, time will always be there as long as you say it's there.....so to me it doesn't exist...to the next person it does...we both move at the same pace...and Time exists and doesn't at the same instance.....

2. Am I incorrect or have you just answered your own question??....The insect has percieved that there is something blocking its way...not that there is a glass there... but that there is something blocking its way...the glass doesn't exist...but the blocked pathway does!!

3. everyone can say what matters to them....you say what matters to your SELF...... and when you can see that you're just like everybody else...then what matters to yourself will teach you how to care for what matters to other people....

"Being is not knowing!"
 37yrs • M •
yes like i said YOU set YOU'R on limitations.. and i believe that if more people would think on a philosophical level then we wouldn't have to argue.. after all that is what this topic is about, philosophy not physicists..

35yrs • M •

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Time as we know it is a function of consciousness, not a property of the external world. Mopreover, it is not constant in its flow and can "beat" very differently for different people and under different circumstances, and may be radically different for different life forms. Just my opinion, though.

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
 37yrs • M •
time is hard for us to keep track of being that we aren't clocks.. we are people, human beings with things to do.. these outside forces make us lose track of time and sometimes not having these outside forces make time stand still

does time really stand still for the individual tho? the clock will tick the same speed for the busy person.. but I'm thinking that there's more to it

I know what time is, it's a measurement from one period to the next, a continuum in which events occur in an irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future....
but what I'm saying is that time does in fact simultaneously change speeds but as humans we cant understand how this is possible

think about how age doesn't matter on alot of occasions..

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think we only convince ourselves that there is some kind of universal time. Say, for instance, I'm mentally preoccuppied or under some kind of duress, time may go slower or faster for me. When I look at the clock I tell myself how amazing it is that I experienced time so differently than what the clock implies. Other people will tell me to look at the clock and I will realize how much time has really passed. But each of these people may experience the beating of the clock differently than I do. Therefore, clocktime may be an illusion.

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ryunoskei is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
do not think of time as the traditional scientific concept. Time is a word, what matters is the connection the word implies, which is change.And as you may have noticed things change everyday. The problem with most of your answers is that they're too redundant to simply explain a very novice concept.

"Be shapeless, be ready to adapt -Bruce Lee"
Does Time Even Exist? - Page 5
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy