Music is about hearing a beautiful sound. Not about seeing a beautiful face. - Chained Wings
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Does Time Even Exist? - Page 2

User Thread
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Isn't Time best viewed as a co-dimension of Space?
Between the discrete mass of the particles of the atom is a void; between the planets is a void. Are they not the same void? The only distinction between these is the time-distance factor?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Experience seems to be composed of two big categories. One is the the sensations and ideas we get. This lasts only a moment, they are the now and then are gone.
The other is our memories, chemicals in our brain which let us know a sensation or idea without feeling it.

Time is the explanation we give for those memories.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ambition is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Now I'm no expert on this travell faster than light theory. But to me it would seem that to actually reverse time you would have to reverse the entire rotation of each planet in the universe, not just altering the human perception of time which can be achieved merely by travelling to a diff country.

My next point however is about your reasoning as to why time does not exist, because it is a human creation. They surely numbers do not exist either, they are human tools that we cannot hold or touch, they only exist as representations of themselves ie: pen on paper represents a number but it isn't actually the number....

"Lifes battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man but in the end the man who wins is the man who thinks he can"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ambition is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Now I'm no expert on this travell faster than light theory. But to me it would seem that to actually reverse time you would have to reverse the entire rotation of each planet in the universe, not just altering the human perception of time which can be achieved merely by travelling to a diff country.

My next point however is about your reasoning as to why time does not exist, because it is a human creation. They surely numbers do not exist either, they are human tools that we cannot hold or touch, they only exist as representations of themselves ie: pen on paper represents a number but it isn't actually the number....

"Lifes battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man but in the end the man who wins is the man who thinks he can"
 72yrs • M •
quote:
But to me it would seem that to actually reverse time you would have to reverse the entire rotation of each planet in the universe,
hey just roll over &look at it from the other side?
If you were in a flying sauser, appraoching this solar system you would percieve its rotation, etc as being in a certain direction if you roll the craft over a 180 degrees then you would see it rotating, etc. in the opposite direction. Relative?

36yrs • M •
Anomaly33 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
As far as time travel goes, I think deja-who gets the idea, but I'm not sure because it's a very complicated theory. You might not realize how strange the explanation for time dilation is, but if Einstein's work isn't correct, then there is likely room for even stranger stuff in our universe in order to keep time and space in order.

"As we kill Time, Time kills us"
 80yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that squatteam is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Speed of light travel may or may not be possible but to what avail. One would be travelling into and out-of total darkness. One would be travelling so fast that light would not even have time to travel far enough to illuminate the object to your eyes. Faster than reflected 'radar' images. It would be the thing of TV ads: "Do not attempt. Professional drivers on a closed course." But speed of light and travel diverge. You keep using time related devices to determine if time exists. Why not point to a clock and offer its counting as proof? Time is truly relative. I've got lots of relatives, ergo, time exists.

"Popular dissidents are merely pacifiers given to us by the Government to keep us in line and thinking someone is making a ruckuss."
 72yrs • M •
quote:
And, as Crimson_Saint said, timeless equals changeless. Everything changes, therefore time does exist.
Sensei used to say ' the more things change the more they remain the same', oreintal philosophy I guess?

59yrs • M •
deja-who is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
as you say.. time is a human consruct
time is the passing of an event from when it began to a point where it continues or stops
our own method of percieving time is a means which measures how many times or fast we can count between these events. The result is the calculation made and then recorded to represent the points between the begining and end.
what we do with these results is upto us.

Space is simply a vacum which expands to accomadate the matter that exists.

Space and time co-exist in a relationship that complements each other.
without space there would be no matter in whiich to measure events since there would be nothing to measure, therefore time would not exist because it would be infinatly meaningless.
once space exists you have a medium in which time can now be used.
obviously space is a medium that we are familiar with, however there maybe other relms of existance where space does not exist in the way we understand it, but as long as there are events to perceive, example; the interaciton of mater, atoms, chemicals, light etc..
then there will be a perception of time to deal with if one in that relm would care about such constructs in the first place.
who knows... maybe in another relm there is some form of imortality that goes beyond the need to account for such existance.

80yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that squatteam is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Immortality doesn't imply 'no time', it simply means your time doesn't run out.

"Popular dissidents are merely pacifiers given to us by the Government to keep us in line and thinking someone is making a ruckuss."
 72yrs • M •
quote:
your time doesn't run out.
or the passage of time has no effect upon you?

39yrs • M •
MultipleMinds is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I think we only percieve time because events that happen are recorded in our memory and therefore we get a notion that something has taken place in the past and something is happening now. Events are just occuring and that's all thats happening, but what still puzzles me is whether events are linear like one after the other, like you have a cup of tea, then read a book, then watch a film whats accounts for that "frame of existance" if you like between events. Where you know that there was something between one event happening and another, is that then time, but take away the recording of events in our memory and how then will we perceive the "frame of existance" between events. Maybe it's all one long moment where everything is happening at the same time but somewhere in the brain translation of reality the true reality of things gets misconcrewed.

"The dimension of the multiple mind is multi-dimensional"
 72yrs • M •
quote:
who knows... maybe in another relm there is some form of imortality that goes beyond the need to account for such existance.

ya that is a good thought to have fun with preceptual realities! NICE

61yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that imn2caves is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The answers to all of your questions can be found in the song "Time" by Pink Floyd.

If you want to see time fly, have children. That's when you really wonder where the time went. They grew so fast and I got old. But the time was very well spent, and that my friends is the key to life.

"No one died when Clinton lied!"
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MrPink is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
wow you guys think to much i cant even comperhend what you are saying ur on a totally different level than i am maybe i'm just dumb i dont know but i think time does exist cuz i use it all the time so how can it not ? thats kinda like saying does thought exist cuz its not there you cant see it feel it touch it smell it or anything else but it is there you use it all the time so in my mind it does exist

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didnt exist"
Does Time Even Exist? - Page 2
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy