When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. - Franklin D. Roosevelt
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

GOD and goofy belief systems. - Page 8

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that isilomir is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
DdragK has a good point. The Bible as it stands today, is entirely hearsay. It was written by people who were interested in Jesus' life and then compiled by Roman emporers when they Christianized the empire. This doesn't detract anything from the book or what it says. But the point stands that it was not written by god.

"Balance comes to all things in time. Some make it their duty to tear it apart. It is my duty to balance it out once more."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
But the point stands that it was not written by god

So? It wasn't physically written by Him what's your point? The Bible was inspired by God in the same way that an author might dictate the words to a typist.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
true - so why do we only call the bible inspired word, did the inspiration end with revelations?

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 39yrs • M •
The Bible is complete and needs no more inspiration. However as individuals we are inspired by God through the Holy Spirit this usually happens while reading the Bible.

[  Edited by etherealmeekle at   ]
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Who says the bible is complete?

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 39yrs • M •
God did

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
that's not an answer, where does god say this? in the bible? or did he tell you personally?

"He who does not question is lost."
 39yrs • M •
18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Revelation 22:18-19

37yrs • M •
That sounds to me as if God is saying the book of Revelations is complete. This does not necesarily refer to the Bible as a whole, considering the book of Revelations was written before the Bible as we know it was compiled.

"Balance comes to all things in time. Some make it their duty to tear it apart. It is my duty to balance it out once more."
 39yrs • M •
But if you cannot alter the end then what makes you think it is acceptable to alter anything else. While it doesn't refer specifically to the whole Bible Theologians consider that it was intended to warn against any alterations of the entire Bible

37yrs • M •
Revelations is only the end of the Bible because the Roman's who compiled the Bible decided to make Revelations the last chapter. Just because The Return of the King ends conclusively doesn't make it the end of Tolkien's mythology. God did not necesarily say to John that Revelations will be the end of the Bible. I could be wrong, but I don't remember God ever mentioning the Bible to anyone. As far as I know the New Testament is just acollection of gospels and letters written about and inspired by Jesus' life and teachings, and compiled by the Romans. Thus, it would make sense to view the Bible as a work in progress, something to continually add gospels and letters to, if it really is supposed to be a guide to Christianity. If it wasn't in progress, if it was a finished, finite, work, than Christianity itself would be stagnant. For a religion to survive it must adapt to some extent to the time. Otherwise, it will just become obsolete along with the numerous other inflexible ideas in history.

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Azhrei is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
How is it that God creates us just so we can go to hell? That seems very unfair and extremely cruel. How come someone goes to hell for eternal hell fire to burn forever just because of one sin, that surely is not just.

"The Problem With Evil" <---- Look into it, very enlightning

The bible, in my opinion, is only meant to be a guide. When faced with a problem we should be able to just open it and find a relevant situation that it can help with. It is supposed to help people who feel lost, it should not be worshipped.

"What is true power?"
 39yrs • M •
quote:
Revelations is only the end of the Bible because the Roman's who compiled the Bible decided to make Revelations the last chapter.

But you totally dismiss the fact that God designed the Bible. He intended a certain order to things.

37yrs • M •
Before I go making any useless and/or stupid comments about your statement, maybe you could tell me where it says that God designed the Bible. I was under the impression that the Romans, who were not Christians at the time, compiled the Bible based on what they wanted the citizens of the empire to adopt. Again I could be mistaken and I will gladly admit you're correct if you could show me a passage from the Bible where it says, "and you shall compile all the prophecies, laws, and teachings into one book, and it shall be laid out such." The Bible was written in chunks. Each chunk was written by a person who observed events and interpreted them, or was trying to convince a group of people to convert. As far as I know, the only book in the Bible that specifically claims to have been dictated by God, is Revelations. The rest of it is hearsay written by third parties and then put together.

39yrs • M •
The Bible was written over hundreds of years by several different authors. But all of them wrote what God had intended.

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.
2 Timothy 3:16

As far as I know God didn't tell people how to arrange it and the order is not particularly important some versions have different arrangements. But the content is not to be added or removed.

GOD and goofy belief systems. - Page 8
  4    5    6    7    8    9    10    11    12  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy