Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why do we exist?

User Thread
 42yrs • M •
zakary6 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Why do we exist?
We are born and DING here we are without any clue as to what this is. What is this thing we are experiencing and why am I here? It doesn't make any damn sense. How can anyone carry on and do anything as if they know what they are doing when nobody knows what this is. This existence is a prision, we are all very confined and unaware of what else there is. Either that or there isn't anything else, this is all there is and we will cease to exist upon death. I would gladly die now if that is the case.

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ikiris is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I ask myself that alot, and haven't even come close to an answer. I also wonder why people go about there business, whatever it may be and don't seem to even be curious as to why. Most people I know seem to be much more interested in whats on television then whats the point to life. I myself tend to believe that this is it, and that when we die thats the end of it. I do not however think that means that it doesn't matter if I die tomarrow. In my opinion people give themselves a purpose. I do not think there is any supreme being controling everything that has decided your purpose. People give themselves purpose because in my opinion they have to, there is no decided fate as to what is going to happen to you.

I think it's up to you to decide what you want to make your purpose in life. If you have something in particular you want to do in life that can be it. Find something you like or think is important and give your existance meaning by working towards that.

If I am right and this existance is it, then by making that choice you have found a reason to exist. If I am wrong and there is a supreme being of some kind, well then he must have known the choices I was going to make and have lead me this way. Either way by doing what you feel is important you would have made a impact on something, which if you died tomarrow wouldn't have happened.

I myself am currently trying to find what I want to do with my life. I am unemployed, out of school and really don't know what I want to do with myself. I know things I don't want to do however, so at least I'm narrowing things down. I am not for example willing to work a job I find boring and pointless just for the money. I want to find something that can make me feel as if it is important. I am trying to find the meaning to my life.

As far as if this existance is it. I really don't know. As I said I tend to think it is. I am no expert though, there could be so much more. I guess we will all find out someday. Ultimately I feel I must act that this existance is it, since I cannot be sure and if it is then I need to make it count. If it isn't then there is plenty of time to do extra stuff.

Well I might be rambling on now. I'm new at this so I hope I got my point across and it didn't sound like a bunch nonsense.

"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun! - Ash"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fairy Boy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe that the point of existence is to ascertain as much knowledge as possible
When the required amount of 'life experience' is reached then you become enlightened and shed your mortal coil. So when you die you just reincarnate over and over and over till that happens.

As far as mortality goes short term I reckon we are all here to influence each other so that we can experience as much as possible from diff perspectives kind of a 'chaos theory' ripple effect

Unfortunately society forces us to work so that we can 'live' live a life where we waste countless years doing jack shit so that we can barter green pieces of paper for food and material possessions we cant even take with us when we peg

""Veritatem quaere et insaniam inveni""
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There's no point at all.

Just try to enjoy it.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 39yrs • M •
my_last_breath is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
we exist to build the perfect human or life form through evoloution

"When Im God Everyone Dies"
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Vic_Silver is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Does it have to be through nature's evolution or can we engineer ourselves to be more perfect.

"Somethings out there.. Oh wait thats me"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 39yrs • M •
my_last_breath is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
through nature, if you we engineered ourselves perfect it would'nt be the real us

"When Im God Everyone Dies"
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cujo0424 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Some of these great philosophers, those who don't believe on God, but rather their own opinions (though there's nothing wrong with that) say that the creation of the universe was unintentional and might have even been a mistake. Well, nature doesn't make mistakes, living things make mistakes, so it must have been something that made us, and whoever made us, made a big fucking mistake because we've been around for quite some time.
I'm not some religious nut posing as a philosopher to influence my opinions on others, I'm just saying that if the universe was a mistake, who made that mistake. If the universe wasn't a mistake and was pefect intention, who's intention was it.
Throughout my life I've found some comfort in telling myself that there's a reason for everybody's place on earth and every event happens for a reason. To follow what I've been telling myself throughout my life, I guess that we all have a purpose on earth. Even if we don't do anything great, maybe we can cause something great and not even know it. Maybe we're some huge science project in which we're being tested to see how long it'll take us to discover all of the secrets of life and cures ofr aids and cancer ands stuff like that.

""Scared is not the right word...I'm frightened of it..."---Love & Death"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
...lol...there's no such thing as chaos, or mistakes... you only say something is confusing when you don't understand... and the moment you do, you laugh your ass off from how simple it is/was......and if this is a project who else are the lab professors and lab rats but ourselves??.....think about it!..lol

"Being is not knowing!"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
we are only human.. thats all we can ever be.. meaning we will never know anything for sure.. including the meaning of life

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Conway is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Have hope Analytical that at some time, your soul will know as a God. If you do not have this, then there is no reason for you to live. Nothing short of complete enlightenment is worth anything. Show me some one who can argue this, and I show you a man who knows nothing.

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yea i get what you're saying.. life is about hope..

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 41yrs • F •
existence is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Why are we here? Life is about judgement and placing. Life is a large competetion because noone wants to help anyone out, everyone is trying to be better then the next person. Were trying to climb the ladder of success and reach the highest level of the pyramid. But, what comes after the highest level. Do we even know what the highest level. Once we have enough food to survive, and we are surviving in shelter, we have clothes, we have a job, and we have reached full potential.. What is next. What is that point of all of this. To live life. What is life? Why is this some huge planned out system.. that noone can see. Everyone is clearly obvlious to this system that we are being controlled. We are being controlled by something else, but what. and why would be we controlled because what satisfaction would it bring to the controller. I feel life is just a waste. Its undefined.

34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that FreakishOne is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Just because we dont know what or why life is, it should not be considered a waste. And we dont even know that we have a controller.

The way you are talking sounds as though you feel that all life is predetermined. Maybe it is, I believe that some events happen by chance of fate...but our entire lives? I would say that would defeat the purpose of our existance, but I dont know what that purpose is.

But life would not be as interesting if we knew what that purpose is, either.

"Give me the freedom to destroy"
Why do we exist?
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy