Do not dissect a rainbow. In other words, do not destroy a beautiful phenomenon by overanalyzing it. - Denise LaFrance
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why do we exist? - Page 2

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
When using cause and effect its always a good idea to think of both perspectives; of the cause causing the effect or of the effect casuing the cause (hope this makes sense).

Can you imagine a world with no life to perceive it?

Could you imagine a mountain just being there for teh sake of it?

Could you think that all this, up to now, for that is all we know, existed so that we could be here?

""No words""
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I like to think of life like fire. Fire has no purpose... needs no purpose. It just burns. Life is this.

And god damn my sw pic is bad ass.

"Dark and silent and complete."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that gari is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
life = the power of semen.

72yrs • M •
LucidZeal is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Doesn't chaos allow for all posiblity - just may not be our lifetime or our planet. Chaos is the ultimate creation or accident - depending on how one looks at things in their universe.

"Everyone takes the limits of [their] own vision for the limits of the world." -- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860) http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/schopenhauer/

""Everyone takes the limits of [their] own vision for the limits of the world." -- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860) http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/schopenhauer/"
 31yrs • M •
CreativeDoom is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I believe too that humans are a mistake... Look at what our kind has done so far, war, chaos, pain, offcourse their is a good side but that dosent make up for all the wrong that some of us did. That who created us just wanted to see how far can we go and I guess we went so far that he (the creator) could not stop us so he backed down from us. (Those are my thoughts)

I dont believe in god but I believe that their is an energy of some kind that created us that some people started to call it god, if their is such a thing as god so why havent he given us sign that he is here, maybe becouse it would ruin our existense or maybe becouse of some other unknown rules.

It could be that all this existence talk could be just a piece of shit and that we are just a very sophisticated computer system, but offcourse I dont know the truth and am probobly wrong.

For now I know what is the purpuse of my existense, to find out that purpose, but offcourse I cant focus everything on that becouse I have to live the life that I was given.

I hope one day someone of our kind will find out the answer before our time runs out and are existense will be destroyed.

"Time will kill us all... Time..."
[  Edited by CreativeDoom at   ]
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ziltoid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If life had a purpose then it would be greater than existence itself, so there is no purpose but to understand what is.

32yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Arcanum is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Misanthropic, yes, but I believe humans are a destructive species. The only species, for the record.
But humans are also the only specie able to love with that much zest and passion.
Flip sides, if you must.

I don't know why we exist. But I can theorise why we go on with whatever we get ourselves stuck in.
Once we are born, we sign a social contract. This contract is signed against our will. And this contract cannot be broken. PArents, relatives, friends, on cannot be born without bringing joy.

And so we toil and strive and slave our lives away, trying to fulfill this cruel contract. And along the way, we try to find as much happiness ad possible to make up for this unfair pact. And in the end, these two merge. Fulfilling the contract would be finding happiness. Fools we are. Helpless fools.

As for why we exist, I've no idea. Humans are a mistake. They are overqualified and start destroying things for personal gain.

I hate and love humanity at the same time.

"Some men are wise. Others are otherwise."
 31yrs • M •
jacisc0416 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
There are many reasons one can conjure up for the reason humans and life alike exist; however, I believe each and every individual's purpose is to create their own purpose.

There is no "divine" reason for our presence, only the knowledge that we are here, and it is up to the individual to fulfill his/her own purpose - or fate, if you will.

Of course this could just be the most simplistic and easy to accept answer, but is not the search for an answer a purpose as well?

Just some random thoughts while sitting in my Computer class...

"Time has fallen asleep in the afternoon sunshine."
 31yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that XFreeGlowStickX is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The meaning of life is for the individual to decide. You have to find something that gives you a reason to live. No one can tell you what the most important aspect in your life is, because it only matters to you.

If you think negitively about not having anything to live for then all you'll think about is living your life to die. Sure, everyone dies eventually but finding that one thing in your life that gives that will to live helps you understand reasons you might not understand now.

Hope that helps, and I'm not just babbling.

"There is only one Happiness in life, to Love and be Loved"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I wouldn't be surprised if a super old civilization from another galaxy came close by on an experimental quest. Find the nearest capable and/or habitable planet even at a molecular level and start adding anomalies to the DNA structure to mutate it. Once you get multicellular organisms, shrink them down to a controllable size and give the species conscious awareness.

If one species proved to be too dangerous for the growth and understanding of their experiment, they would annihilate the planet via 'natural disaster' and start all over. This is possible since they have all the building blocks in the first place and are a million years or older race and don't plan on going extinct any time soon.

Their only motive may simply be to establish an inter-galactic relation with a stable, trustworthy, and capable race of beings.

Being sleep deprived for so long makes me think far behind logic and reason, I know this. That's why this is a philosophy/theory of mine. Who knows, I could be right.... right?

good night at last.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 30yrs • M •
Rastaman is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Now, as a mere human with the shallow perception and physical capacity common to all humans, I must assure you that I do not have a definite answer for your question, nor, I think, does anyone living today. This question has been asked since humanity began, and many people have found many different answers to it. Personally, I think we (simian, carbon-based conglomerations of hydrogen and oxygen-saturated cells) exist simply for the pleasure of a greater existence. We have to come to terms with the fact that there must be a core logic to why anything exists (or at least exists to the shallow human definition of "can be perceived" and doesn't simply just not exist, which, in theory, would probably be much easier. The central rule around all matter is inertia which dictates essentially that everything is lazy; without inspiration, there is no reason for anything to cohesively exist, as existence is likely the act taking the most effort out of any other. With this in mind, the logical conclusion I come to is that there is a central entity, be it conscious or simply the rhythm which directs all things, and therefore any combinations or extrapolations not dictated by this central power but following the basic rule of it can only be in existence (the continual state of cohesive being) for the pleasure that the aforementioned entity takes from the ordered state in which all things work and evolve. If this entity feels pleasure from existence in a fashion which follows its rules- which we have hypothesized must be the case or else nothing would have any reason to exist- that entity must be conscious and therefore self-aware.

29yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that forgottentruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i belive we exist to create, yeah we might have war and destruction, but look at what we made, our languages, buildings, clothes, transport, and a heck of alot more but its not all necessary good though... because we created war and stuff like that

"All we see or seem; is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allan Poe"
[  Edited by forgottentruth at   ]
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Squarepants is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
No one's going to know the answer. But here's a thought, if you are you because of the structure of your brain, then if you replicate that brain else where you would exist in that brain aswell. If that would not happen then where does are sense of being come from.

"I hungry"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that JoelB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
it depends on what you believe in I think. If you are of christain faith then your purpose is to serve God in all that you do. Whatever religion you are probably should define the point of life. If you aren't religous, and you believe in evolution, then there really is no point. This was all just "evolution". So live your life, and do what you enjoy. And thats the point.

"Aint flashed a smile in a long while...."
 33yrs • F •
Half Tooth is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Here is what I believe as I have questioned myself about this subject many times and I do not think this is the only conclusion because it is too vague, but it is a reasonable conclusion for the time being.

(Fore the purpose of this argument my definition of an existing being is soemthing that has been born and will die.)

Since there can never be nothing, the meaning of life is to exist. All existing beings have a conscience. And for that conscience it to be able to do anything it needs to exist.

Each set of consciences have a purpose. Plants and trees are are the foundation. Without them everything else would die, their purpose is to sustain their own lives and sustain others.

Insects and animals help the plants and trees to go on reproducing (moving the seeds from plant to plant etc.) Their purpose is to live and evolve and to sustain carnivorous anaimals.

Humans, I believe, are like the gardians of this intricate balance. I do not think we are superior or inferior to animals and plants, but that we have been given the intelligence and the means to keep the balance living. And that our place is try and understand the world not to use it as a reasource and take without giving.
For one day that will be our undoing.

(This is just a thoery I do not believe it to be 100% true. )

Why do we exist? - Page 2
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy