A friend starts to become a true friend when you begin to see yourself in them - Angel Of Death
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why do we exist? - Page 5

User Thread
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We exist because existance got curious.

Haki,

So are you rich then? Can I have some money?... no really lol

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 71yrs • M •
cosmicdust is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
What a great question.I looked at some great art work and it showed these people with robes and hoods from a view from the back and it made me wonder what was on the other side or what did these people look like in the front view.Moses is the only person to see God and it was from the back of God because if Moses saw the front of God his light would surely blind him.We live this life looking from the behind veiw,not seeing what is in front of us, like the artwork and Moses looking at God from behind.There is something on the other side awaiting us.I'm starting to evaluate and look at myself to be sure I'm ready for the other side,May God touch all who read this and may we trust God always,amen-in Jesus name

"Sarcasism is the lowest form of wit"
 39yrs • M •
retsamed is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
EXACT the same thing I've been thinking for the past 2 years.. yeah what's the point of doing everything we are doing right now if all our endpoint is death.
Nothing matters its as if 1+1 = 0 if i would put it in an equation.
would there be an end point eventhough its death where the equation would not be 0.
maybe thats if we find our purpose why we were born but no one will tell you that in your whole life.
YEs it indeed makes it a little interesting trying to find our purpose in life but eventhough you realize that are you sure that its the right purpose despite you know you are an imperfect being and not just rationalizing why you ever exist.

46yrs • M
Retsamed, how would your thought process on this question and your equation change if you found out for a fact that your consciousness survives death? Hypothetically if needed.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 39yrs • M •
retsamed is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
hypothetically the equation will change but the product would not.
consciousness after death still with no knowledge of the purpose why one exist is like 1+1(+1 after death) = 0

in a logical sense, 1+1=0 men die without knowing their purpose in life.
No matter what one does if its not of his purpose, it will not matter even after or through death.

Thanks Ironwood I appreciate your input

46yrs • M
You assume we do not ever know our purpose. I take it you are struggling with this question of what your purpose is?

Yet it is the question that drives you... interesting. You have not killed yourself for you feel you may have purpose, but simply struggle to find it or define it.

Is this a fair assessment? Can you think of a potential purpose? Is there something that you feel would be meaningful if indeed it was your purpose? Can you think of any reason existance, life, humanity could or should exist?

And what about a chosen purpose? What if its up to you to choose your purpose? Would that be unacceptable to you? If not...

what would you choose?

52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Adam Seth God is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
why do we exist..?

an urge to resist saying "because"

there's a cause and effect principle...

then we filter or siphon through the family and their own accomplishment

accomplishment in what area?

a family seems most productive if it can survive the fall of society...

society

society

social order or the status quo....

morrays... acceptence...

acceptence

acceptence

welll, any.wayz.....

contrary to popular opinion, the ability to tell the difference between the acceptence that leads to no damage to thAT which leads to failure of society,,,

decay is focused on family... if yours has dominated... then family and therefore neighborhood and nurture will appear as the dominant

don't fear future... the best of us isheld in a library they cant burn... a future that cant' be delayed

"\\\"The Empty Vessel Makes The Most Noise\\\" - Shakespear"
 32yrs • M •
anatayGrande is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
we exist JUST because... and we'de die eventually... we might find OUR OWN reason of existence on the way there... OR WE MIGHT NOT... but the question "why are WE here?" will still remain a question as it has been since the beginning of time.. even though that question will remain unanswered... you might find the answer the question "why im I here?" in time...

"boredom is worse than death"
 40yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that DannyDuberstein is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm with Analytical and Conway on this one. I posted in some other thread stating how we ALL live by faith. Faith in a creator or not-creator. God or not-God.

There will never be a means of knowing why we're here. Science merely serves to term and catalog phenomena.

"Just a fleck in the immeasurable circumference?"
 40yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that DannyDuberstein is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
But it is best to hope, to have faith in, the idea of a creator/designer/God/what-have-you due to the fact that we can observe this passing of energy on our planet in something as simple as one marble bouncing off of another.

"Just a fleck in the immeasurable circumference?"
 41yrs • M •
thinkangle is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
In thinking of a theory off life .. I find my self stuck at the first place to start the theory ... BLUE_GREEN..... and the thought that BLUE_GREEN had a by-product of oxygen.. so geting past the point that blue-green had a purpose.. makes me come to the conclusion that we have a purpose.. Be that our by-products for something bigger.. or just our brain to inhabit the universe .. eather way you look at it... the conclusion i come to is not being able to get past the fact that ... blue-green had a by-product purpose .. So trying to start the theory there would be ideal ...

41yrs • M •
thinkangle is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Maybee the anwser is energy .. considering everything is energy and ultimatly turns to a certin form of energy ...

46yrs • M •
CCrider is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Existence..Why question it? Is that not the answer within the question.. Non existence would not ask itself "why do i not existence" hence existence would equate to questioning/pondering such aspects. Existence equates to questioning.. In essence foresight. In saying that what is existence.. A 'rock' exists.. physically, chemically, chronologically etc. Does that define existence? A rock does not question itself.. So apparently would seem to not exist defined by said previous laws of existence.. But it does. So the question should be defined.. "what is life?" Hard to concieve the notion.. Since a tree is considered alive as such but has no brain.. So in essence would assume it does not question its existence.. Hence would deny itself existence/life in said question?? Confusing hey. But i would give a tree more credence to the policy of life than a rock! So still yet I ponder.. Life = growth, procreation & death.. A tree lives in such criteria a rock does not.. If i do not grow, procreate or die.. does that mean i have no life? I believe senescence is curable.. To procreate deniable.. But growth? Is growth a given.. Is a cell that splits in two alive? Is division of a cell growth? I confuse myself more with each definition.. To my knowledge no known life can exist without water.. Is water the essence of life? Seems apparent so far.. Cant define an exclusive denial of this proposition.. Entities can have water and not be alive.. But no life can exist and have no water..?? Water is life..? Is it. Seems a logical conclusion does it not. Water doesnt grow.. does not breed.. Or die.. But all life relies upon it to some extent to LIVE.. Conclusion is LIFE = WATER (H2O) Life has nothing to do with questioning... existence. LIFE IS WATER.. Simple as that.. Weird conclusion.. But is all i can come up with for now.. Now separate water into its elements.. Hydrogen & Oxygen.. Hydrogen is a variable.. But OXYGEN is the the consistent factor.. Maybe Oxygen equates to the meaning of life.? Just maybe.. We breathe oxygen.. Most if not all life relies on oxygen.. Is OXYGEN the keystone to existence/life? Will have to research more into life and its existence without the property of oxygen being a factor.. to be conclusive. I am slightly confused.. Apparently forms of anaerobic bacteria can survive WITHOUT oxygen..? They are considered to be living. Maybe the question can be defined as "INTELLIGENT LIFE" Hence would assume would have to have a brain.. For cognitive function.. Question now is "WHAT IS INTELLIGENT LIFE?" And what defines its existence..? You would assume intelligence would equate to choice/decision.. Emotion maybe..? What defines emotion though? My feelings now equate to a an obscure factor.. Maybe our purpose.. our existence.. is for no reason other than.. Not for what is.. But for what is to be?? The future!! The only unknown quantity in this equation... Just maybe the question of existence 'INTELLIGENT LIFE' is the unknown quotation.. What will happen?? As opposed to what has happened..? Think about it! Does a non intelligent life question 'what will become of me??' It either succeeds in its procreation (spawn) or not and dies... We as intelligent life.. CONTEMPLATE such said forthcomings.. We even mourn potential said life.. i.e. Intelligent life equates to foresight.. and expectation.. of said circumstance.. or being.. Life equals potential to be more than your own expectation and knowledge.. LIFE = LEARNING.. INTELLIGENT LIFE = LEARNING..KNOWLEDGE.. and PROGRESS..?? Learn from mistakes..? Is progress the meaning of life?? What if you fail in progression.. Are you not intelligent..?? Good question... If everyday at 6am a worm was eaten by a bird.. Would you not figure as the worm 'do not be there at 6am'?? Hence progress.. = intelligent life.. Stay there at 6am.. you are eaten to exstinction.. Be there at 8am maybe bird will not be there.. LEARNING.. PROGRESS..INTELLIGENCE.. Maybe the question is not 'INTELLIGENT LIFE' but 'PROGRESSIVE LIFE??' Intelligent life would not be considered intelligent if it progressed backwards.. Intelligence is defined by learning.. Knowledge.. So intelligence is defined as progression.. Hence Intelligent life equates to .. 'PROGRESSIVE LIFE' New question is what defines "PROGRESSIVE LIFE?'.. Got me thinking now.. Progressive life thus must equate to learnt behaviours... Even instincts maybe.. We all feel we have instincts.. How does a new baby spider spin a web? Without being taught how to do such a thing..? Yet it happens.. So to some degree there must be a genetically inherant instinctive behaviour... IS progressive life defined genetically..? Is progress defined genetically as opposed to nurture/upbringing/experience etc..? Are we predisposed to LEARN.. ? Hence Intelligence.. Which in turn leads to progress.. Are WE as humans the very definition of the question.. WE EXIST.. WHY QUESTION IT..??

"If I know anything.. It is that I know nothing!"
 26yrs • M •
Shadows Fall is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I have considered this question myself and there are two possible solutions according to me.
First it may be possible that the reason for our existence is far beyond the understanding of man kind or
second, ever heard Buddha? He seeked his answers by penance. So I have myself considered to go into penance after I grow old and I don't fear death.

33yrs • M •
nonamejohn is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
we have no fate. we got this 1 life to experience the structure of the universe the chance of your life existing is about 1 in 18 with 403,166 zero's after it, almost zilch. life's a gift

"heaven is a fairy tale for people afraid of the dark" - Stephen hawking

Why do we exist? - Page 5
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy