Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why do we exist? - Page 6

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
CCrider is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I am still stuck on the notion of inherent genetic instinctive behavior.. Life/existence to me is very systematic.. Too systematic for my liking to be random and coincidental. The basic concept of genes is very mathematical. You don't mate with a tree and deliver a "tree man baby"..?! The two are coherently different.. Not even inter species of plant life exist.. To my knowledge anyways. I have never seen a tomato/apple tree so to speak.. Which leaves my thoughts predisposed to the the notion that nature has a code.. Which in turn seems very mathematic.. 1+1 doesn't = 3 so to speak.. No matter how you look at it.. Mathematics in nature appears godly to some aspect but is quite predictable in the same essence.. You don't plant a pumkin seed and expect to see a frangipani tree do you? Same way as you make love and don't expect your missus to give birth to a lion cub..! We may not have written the code.. But it does exist. Seems very computational to me.. Like a program.. A computer program.. Which we have created.. Or think we have created! I am an avid agnostic.. But keep butting heads with this notion of a creator. Would we not at some point create a computer beyond our comprehension.. And then ask it. Too create a better one? A better program so to speak. More than "we" are? If it succeeded maybe we/life/existence etc.. Are a product of that very notion? Is this life we live.. The so called be all end all.. A program? Created by a higher intelligence.. Or even a scarier thought.. Created by us!! Are we here? Do we exist? Because we CAN? Plain and as simple as that! We exist.. BECAUSE WE COULD!!!!

"If I know anything.. It is that I know nothing!"
 45yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that jamie whodunnit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think all you have to do is find out what makes you happy and do it. when that doesn't make you happy anymore, you find something else. that's what all creatures on the planet do, so that's all humans can do.

this will be different for everyone so there isn't one answer to the question. the purpose is whatever you think it is.

38yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that EOTW is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You exist because your parents were stupid, selfish and weak.

The human species should be exterminated and the world given back to the animals.

"Nothing Happens On The Internet."
 29yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that forgottentruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
A basic answer: You exist because you can.

As for a more philosophical answer: Can you prove you exist to begin with?

"All we see or seem; is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allan Poe"
 38yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that EOTW is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I can't prove that I exist therefore I am not responsible for my actions (or words).

"Nothing Happens On The Internet."
 56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that HissyFit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would suggest that you're asking the wrong question. "Why do we exist?" assumes that we do in fact exist here, in bodies, in a world, in a universe, etc. But what proves that we are here at all? Only the body's senses tell us that there is indeed a world out there. We see it, we hear it, etc. But what tells us that the body is real? Only the body itself. There is no independent witness to the body's existence, and yet we trust it to tell us pretty much everything that we believe to be real.

So perhaps you should be asking the simpler question... "Do I exist?"

You might then revert to that whole "I think therefore I am" stuff, because aside from the body's senses, there does seem to be a thinking mind present. But what happens when the mind stops thinking and all that is left is a clear and quiet space? A difficult state to achieve, no doubt, but I suspect that the truth of existence may lie down that road....

58yrs • M •
Satyr is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
"Why"?
The ultimate human question.

A question with no answer, begging for one from another; a giving up of reason(ing).
To ask for "why?" is to ask for a purpose....when you cannot give yourself one.

It is how slaves submit to a master.

But there is a metaphysical angle.
Life is a (re)action to a process.
The process is tending towards increasing entropy - the absolute chaos, as man projects it - which is never attained.

It is never attained because just like the absolute order (God, Thing, Being, Here, Now) it is a human construct, projected as a method of orientation within a fluid environment; a universe in Flux.

All is a process of Becoming. and in the case of a conscious living organism this Becoming is characterized by the sensation of existing which is need/suffering: the absence of the absolute.

The mind is always obsessed with absolute satisfaction of its unsatisfied need.
It is, therefore, attracted to any superior form of it....like beauty, order, knowledge, intelligence, symmetry.
The mind most dissatisfied with this state of affairs, with this human condition, projects this absence as an absolute void; a total negation: Nihilism.

"Live Lightly"
 49yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Waterdrop is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I only know someone needs me. For love, for fun, for help, for support, for understanding. We are meant for each other. I am forbidden to give up.
As to "beauty, order, knowledge, intelligence, symmetry"/ and etc., they are really the objects on the way to personal perfection or Becoming defined wisely by Satyr.

Why do we exist? - Page 6
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy