A little philosophy inclineth men's minds to atheism, while depths in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion. - Francis Bacon
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

God's Will - Page 4

User Thread
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hey that's fine and dandy, and it seems you will have the same answer for every question, which doesn't get you anywhere but selfishly content, but that point is never more true than when we have people in power that are corrupt and "evil" if you prefer that term, causing pain and suffering, stealing peoples wealth like even Jesus went apeshit about.

You see, Jesus knew of man's greed and of the sheep like quality of self contenting believers to allow such abuse, because they are hopelessly dependant on faith and basically stick their head in the sand instead of looking at what is right in front of them and doing something about it.

That is the greatest evil of the common man.

And the Tsunami's victims have gone up to 226,000 now, with new discoveries plus starvation and disease.

And it won't even touch how many Iraqis we've killed since Gulf 1.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
^^that's alot of people.....and i'm not saying faith should be your basis for God, i'm saying what's not there is all that you have in knowing who (if possible) God is. All Jesus said is that you can't want everything and want God at the same time, and half heartedness is ignorance. God is nothing therefore he is everything, so if you consider yourself as nothing, then you Are...you're being you! Most people in the world want to be something other than what they are, they look to change as a problem solver, but change is only confusion. And there is only one answer, because many answers is change and confusion like I said before....

and i'm sorry to say that i'm not Content at all, content man in my perspective is not doing anything, and seeing that i'm trying to fulfill the desire of learning then i'm not content....not learning within myself, but learning of who I come in contact with.....I do feel the pain that so many people were lost, life should be beautiful, but you can only accept what is and not feel for what is...cuz feeling spawns change, which spawns confusion.....

"Being is not knowing!"
 46yrs • M
Uh, change is the only constant in life buddy. That's how God apparently wanted it, confusing and simplistic.

You see, I fairly well agree with your conceptualization of God, I cannot do more than wish God was soley Love, but, what I've come to conclude is that life and existance is not just simple, it is all things, simple, complicated and somewhere down the middle.

All possibilities no matter how contradicting can and do and don't exist all at the same and various times.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 38yrs • M •
^^you're totally right....Simplicity and confusion coincide with each other. So does right and wrong, dark and light. But two things can never occupy the same territory, if so you never have a conclusion, and everything has a conclusion no matter how far ranging the problem is.

Simplicity is simple....and also if you accept confusion your understanding is simple

Right is right...and also if you accept wrong your understanding is right

Dark is Dark...and so on if Dark is all you understand you come to a light!...

And to say God wants is to say God has needs...the creator is all powerful and everlasting there is no need that is him...He can only be! You have confined God in saying that he 'wanted' things to be this way....Things were 'allowed' to be this way, because man needs to learn that the end is what you start with....Not knowing is the beginning of knowledge!

"Being is not knowing!"
 46yrs • M
I agree with most of that, but again, even though I understand contradictions exist, you again said God has no need, yet man which is also god does, so I just had to through that in.

I'm a socrates kind of guy when it comes to knowing I do not know, but I've often wondered how I could know that if I did not know.

38yrs • M •
^^your wanting to know is what keeps you back, your acceptance of knowing is only what can free you.

and God is man when man is not himself! Only when man accepts knowing and not wanting to know, only when he accepts what he has and does not want or need. Only when you live in the present as the present you will understand the being which is God. I could say there is no God, then if I said that everything which is intelligence would stop existing, and that my friend is death!

"I'm a socrates kind of guy when it comes to knowing I do not know, but I've often wondered how I could know that if I did not know."

Your statement could have been perfectly done if you would have stopped at the comma...only in your wondering do you have unrest, but when you accept that you simply just don't know then you have peace.....and again, when you don't know the capacity is in you to have knowledge of all!!

"Being is not knowing!"
 46yrs • M
No see, you were more right before, to accept either way is to stop, to die perhaps, to have unrest is to live otherwise you are resting or sleeping, be it eternal slumber or whatever.

There is no need to stop, the end will come for me as it shall for all in time.

38yrs • M •
^^^ahhh.....so you somewhat understand...Stopping is the only way you can move. what's more plausible, a circle of life? or life where a straight line is represented, a beginning and an end?

A circle has no beginning and has no end, the beginning of a straight line is unknown and so is the end yet they are both there.

In a circle you can only keep moving, so therefore if you stop you break the movement of the circle. In a straight line though you can only stop to go on....therefore you die everyday, everytime you fall asleep is a death; everytime you give up your wants, needs and desires you die to the world. Everytime you give up reality you die to being alive...and when you give up being alive you live!....not physically but as a memory to those who knew you! don't get me wrong I'm not promoting that suicide and wanting to die is right. Life is beautiful but if you die everyday you live you can live forever. The shortest way to the truth which is reality is only through a straight line, and only in a straight line do you stop to go on.

So in answering your question again, choose a side that's how you come to understanding...being hot or cold that's how you understand the fullness or the lacking of heat. If you look to go on trying to balance everything you will never be complete...but if you accept one thing or the other you have assurity in choice!

"Being is not knowing!"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yes 730, I agree with everything you said, but thats not the point here. No matter what, we still have to use our reason. There's a difference between knowing you know nothing and thus being spiritually content, and knowing that you don't know anything,thus notwanting to know anything.

Ok, coming back to the topic. Is it agreed that God( meaning here a higher power or seperate entity, as popularly and ignorantly believed by many)) had nothing to do with the tsunami disaster?

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 41yrs • M •
rexwriter is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I'm frankly rather disturbed by some of the responses to this question. On the one side is someone citing the tsunami as one of many signs of the coming End of Days, and on another side is an apparently rather angry atheist.
To the first, I would like to say that if a man is convinced he's going to die tomorrow, he'll probably figure out a way to make it happen. Meaning, if enought people are convinced they're living at the end of the world, or the Second Coming, then they're bound to start seeing more and more signs of this nature and may even (subconcously or unwittingly) contribute to the creation of an Apocalyptic or WWIII scenario.
To the second, I would like to say that if it is necessary to be insulting in order for you to effectively debate, then perhaps you need more practice at maintaining a certain level of emotional detachment. This is all just speculation, there is not need to get nasty.
Now, as for my own take on this question, I hold that the tsunami was a purely natural event, as was the Great Flood (if there was one) and any other so-called "wrath of God" event you care to name. If you look at such events as they occured in the Bible, each features God or one of God's prophets attempting to warn people of their impending danger, and it was the people who CHOSE to do nothing, and thus suffer the inevitable consequences. God is not a punisher, nor is God a judge. We were given consciousness, the ability to decide our own fate, and thus were given the freedom to make dire mistakes - such as taking drugs while pregnant and thus harming our unborn child or building settlments on low level, coastal areas where such things as earthquakes, floods, and tsunamis are more likely to occur.
Do not blame Nature for being Nature. Nature will do what it will regardless of human cost.
The question to ask is not why God would allow something like this tragedy to happen, but rather how we can prevent such tragedies as this from happening in the future.

35yrs • M •
Exactly.So everyone in agreement that God has nothing to do with natural(or infact any) disasters?.......

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We can't blame Nature for being Nature. But we can blame God for making nature so apt at killing. God is omnipotent and has the power to make nature not kill us.

"If you look at such events as they occured in the Bible, each features God or one of God's prophets attempting to warn people of their impending danger, and it was the people who CHOSE to do nothing, and thus suffer the inevitable consequences."
Are you saying those piss poor third worlders brought it upon themselves? Or that they even deserve what happened to them, that they had it coming?

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 46yrs • M
Exactly.So everyone in agreement that God has nothing to do with natural(or infact any) disasters?.......

Uh, no, only if god does not exist.

35yrs • M •
U know, in almost all the books 'natural' things such as rain etc are reffered to as 'and God sent down the rain' etc. If God is 'everything', then it wud make sense. If you don't beleive that God is some 'thinking, seperate entity', then yes, you can say that 'God causes everthing.

Look Dumbteen, it's stupid saying that why did God create these set of rules and not that. To answer that question ud have to answer questions such as why did God create the universe, how did he create the universe, whats the purpose of existance..........

You can't just disbeleive God just because of reasons like these. If He followed your line of thinking, He would have been better off not creating humans in the first place........

35yrs • M •
U know, in almost all the books 'natural' things such as rain etc are reffered to as 'and God sent down the rain' etc. If God is 'everything', then it wud make sense. If you don't beleive that God is some 'thinking, seperate entity', then yes, you can say that 'God causes everthing.

Look Dumbteen, it's stupid saying that why did God create these set of rules and not that. To answer that question ud have to answer questions such as why did God create the universe, how did he create the universe, whats the purpose of existance..........

You can't just disbeleive God just because of reasons like these. If He followed your line of thinking, He would have been better off not creating humans in the first place........

God's Will - Page 4
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy