Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

why do you believe in god? - Page 16

User Thread
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well if you want to make sense or a statement of relevance, how about you point out how and why you dissagree instead of just inferring something is wrong.

Obviously you are reacting emotionally to your imagination triggered by words that bring strong imagery.

Was jesus not humble when he stated as objective fact that he was the son of god? The statement may be bold, but it is not flaunted, just fact. A powerful statement in itself is not lacking humility if it is common sense and true.

The most simple and humble of truths can be capable of moving both men and mountains.

Saying the sun, giver of all life, will burn out one day is a mighty powerful statement, but it is true and lacks no humility in its statement, as long as one is open to the possibility that its reality can be.subject to change through uncertainty principles, or "gods" random will.

I am open to the cosmic comedy, are you?

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 76yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that dbh is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As I said once before, I am just having fun. I don't know why you react with such intensity and a certain amount of hostility to my little statements. Its not that big a deal, you know? With apologies to Kurt Vonnegut, "Whuffo I wanna get all excited about this shit? " Or, better yet, "Poo Tee Weet." Geez.

46yrs • M
Im glad you are having fun, but this is still a debate forum, and I was debating your point, you inferred I was incorrect, I challenged you.

Don't like it, can't handle it? Don't know what to tell you. But I would appreciate direct answers to direct questions. Otherwise your play becomes disruptive, like a child who doesn't know when he's not being funny anymore, but keeps trying anyway.

Don't worry, I'll laugh too, when you are funny lol.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 76yrs • M •
That's OK. I don't have the time or desire to deal with your hostile attitude. I simply do not understand where this comes from. Have a good time with Decius and, as I told him, I think you need to check your meds. Bye.

46yrs • M
Ok buddy, your passive aggressiveness was noted and properly reacted too.

But if you can't handle debate and think it too aggressive then ya, I don't recommend a debate forum, and if you can't handle that your not always funny, I suggest some humility lol.

But if you simply don't have the balls to stand up for what you say or believe in, well, I don't have a lot of patience with cowards.

76yrs • M •
Hello again Ironwood
I can barely believe that you actually say the things you say, but let me see if I understand you.

You think that I am a coward and "don't have the balls to stand up for what I say I believe in" because, apparently, unlike yourself, I don't have the courage to throw gratuitious insults at people I don't know from an anonymous position on a website. HMM!!

You have caused me to start thinking about my life and whether I have had the courage to stand up for what I believe in.
I realized that I have been standing up for what I believe in against authority since I was 12 years old. And I actually stood up to the authority of teachers, church leaders, professors, employers, police and the Federal Government FACE TO FACE where there were ACTUAL CONSEQUENCES to be taken into account.

Long before you were born I spent 4 years fighting the Draft and facing the possibility of going to prison every day for what I believed in. And when I debated with them jail time was the reward for losing the debate. I have walked the streets of a black ghetto the day after a race riot. I have been fired from jobs more than once for standing up for others who were being mistreated because of race or other issues. I stood up for Gay rights when it wasn't culturally popular and when AIDS was still called GRID, the "Gay Disease" and I nursed gay men when no one knew for sure how the disease was transmitted. I have welcomed transgender people and drug addicts and other "different" people to my Bible Study at an Evangelical Church and been removed from teaching because I wouldn't back down. I once had a Paranoid Schizophrenic, who I befriended, try to kill me by busting my head with a Maglite when he went off his meds and no longer could distinguish reality from his paranoid state. I have raised a wonderful lesbian daughter who never had any problem coming out because she always knew that her mother and father had her back. And only 3 years ago I became a Roman Catholic in the face of opposition from my entire family and almost everyone I knew and I wear my pro-gay t-shirts to Mass.

You want to call me a coward again you anonymous Twit? Go Fuck yourself sideways in the dark!

With God's Love,
David

46yrs • M
Yes, I will, because you still fear to answer my questions, you still wont humbly acknowledge your passive aggressive anonymous behavior.

You didn't come to learn or even teach, you came to vent and to flaunt yourself, that which you take such strong pride in.

But that's ok, like I said you aren't the only one who enjoys verbal hoisting. Let it out big man, let it out. That is exactly what this place is for.

Im glad your past is full of moments, but let's focus on the now.

With all your proclaimed courage, and all the education you tried to provide, what are you doing to unlock minds today? What are you doing to stand up to the war mongers today? Is gay rights truly your biggest concern? Is humility truly the most important lesson, or even belief in god?

No, we face the most grave danger of the planet once again, like the cold wars daily fear of mutually assured destruction we stand on a new precipice. Perhaps you think you have fought your battles and are exempt, or plan to sit this one out.

Perhaps 9/11 as an inside job, like pearl harbor, as a catalyst to the end game which wasn't ready before but now almost allpieces are in place.

The global tyranny that was attempted in all world wars will be complete with these last few middle east countries downfall.

You survived to this moment and fought those battles for a reason. You are here to witness this culmination to put up or shut up.

This is not a time for humility. This is a time for righteousness, for the final hand, I know, you've heard it for decades, but now full spectrum dominance is in play.

All generations have failed to this point and frankly it isn't looking much better.

More minds are being unlocked thanks to the internet, which is already being shut down to be replaced by darpa's internet 2 already built and ready to be forced upon us. Web sites and entire domains are being openly shut down, there is suddenly a very public rash of hackers oh so conveniently attacking our precious government websites, who will save us from these terrorists and the terrorists in our own heads thinking perhaps we need to stand up to tyranny?

All your struggles will be for naught if you aren't paying attention to the true concern.

This isn't a time for hot button issue flag waving. Yes those are valid issues, but they are also potent distractions.

Stop denying that you aren't an insulting person hiding behind your self righteousness deserving insulting defensive rebuke. It is pathetic to see in my elders whom I'm looking to for my own strength to do my part.

You haven't failed by being hypocritical, just by denying it. I have such faults as all do. No one here is Jesus.

Now stop acting like a child and avoiding both real issues and real truths. Even here, when you come here and challenge people with your snide passive aggressive ways and are called on it, your tantrums expose you.

Own up you pussy. Yes, respect your legacy but do not hide behind it.

That's right you fuck, get mad, take that passion and finally aim your anger and love at the true source of all bigotry and tyranny, yourself, every time you avoid its manifestations, not just in churches, but those governments starting the end of the world. Ya know, the ones you stood up to by running away.

Well now there is nowhere left to run. The world is about to crash and burn, intentional global economic collapse, the final world war of this developed society, the intention to eradicate up to 90% of the population solving all your concerns about suppressing gay rights and unjust wars and religious bigotry.

Its already begun, 9/11 was the starting shot.

Do you understand why I have little patience? Its an expensive luxury and oops, my money is now worthless.

Thank you for reminding me of my own distractions.

I can only hope to god that my only prophetic dreams never see the light of day. But I have doubted myself and my beliefs for too long.

I love hearing your passion, like a roaring lion rattling a cage of captivity. But will you die free or a distracted slave actually handing your precious lesbian daughter over to be slaughtered with the rest of us who fail to awaken an act?

Will you meet god as a mouse, a man, or a majestic lion with the blood of tyrants watering the tree of freedom?

Or will evil triumph while good men do nothing?

Your stories inspire me, but I, and indeed all of us still need examples to look up to today, are you one?

You see, without internet anonymity you wouldn't have likely exposed your weaknesses to have them shown to you so you may finally find peace in yourself and your doubts as well.

You are a beautiful human being and I look forward to hearing of your role in this coming moment of truth.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

76yrs • M •
Hi Ironwood
I just want you to know that I intend to respond to your last post as soon as I can. I want to review all the posts and see where I can identify questions you asked that I have not answered. Also, I am only in my office for 3 days this week and then will be out of touch for at least a week. So a full response to this will probably have to wait until I get back. I'll see what I can do meantime.

46yrs • M
No worries, glad you are still around.

76yrs • M •
I had a few minutes and I looked through the entire thread since my first post. I only actually found one question that you asked or seemed to ask. You seem to want to know if I agree that a powerful objective statement can be made with humility. My answer is that I agree.

You asked if Jesus was humble when He stated as objective fact that he was the son of god. Yes, I believe he was humble.

You asked if I was open to the cosmic comedy. As far as I discern the meaning of that term, the answer is yes. However, I cannot be sure what you mean by that without more explanation on your part.

You at least implied a question about the definition of God. I believe in the God who is presented in the Bible. Isofar as it is possible to define God I do it in that context.

Ok, now to your last post. To some extent this changes my attitude in responding to you because you have revealed something of yourself in this post. Why don't you tell me more about yourself so I can make my responses more relevant? What work do you do? Are you physically healthy? What books do you read and what music do you listen to? Who influences you? One thing I do see about you continually is that you draw enormous conclusions (about me, for instance) with virtually no basis in fact or reality at all. You ascribe emotions and attitudes to me such as "fear" and "cowardice' and "trantrums" when there is virtually nothing on which to base your judgment. This does not speak well for your attitudes about other issues. I don't know whether I am dealing with someone who can have a rational discussion or not. You don't seem to recognize satire or to be able to interpret subtle humour. You seem to assume that hurling insults is a form of debate.

You immediately assume that the things I spoke about doing - such as my war opposition, gay rights advocacy, etc, - are all in the "past". Well of course, they are in the past in one sense. I can't refer to things I haven't done yet. But the kind of actions I was speaking about are still current in my life. Several of the things I referred to have occurred in the very recent past. Again, you are making assumptions without sufficient basis.

I cannot, of course, be sure until you tell me more about yourself as I asked above. But some of this post sounds as though you might be too influenced by paranoid conspiracy theories. The kind of thing we used to hear about the 'Trilateral Commission", or, "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion". I can't really make a judgment about that without hearing more. What is it that you, yourself, are doing in response to the issues you are concerned about, such as "full specturm dominance?"

Anyway, that is all for now

37yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that mutnuaq is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well I believe that god is Everything. Every particle, cell, event, the strong and weak nuclear forces, gravity, the electromagnetic force, every chain of event that starts as a star exploding to the building of a new star and the solar system the debris from the previous star that makes the matter that forms the planets and moons that obit that star, I'm afraid that my version of god is probably incomprehensible to any human being because it is simply to complex and advanced for our minds to understand. However I do not have the audacity to claim I "know" god or even my version of god exists. But I doubt you can claim to know otherwise because you have no conception of anything other than your own mundane existance. It's quite simply beyond our ability to concieve of such things. We can only make educated guesses and hope for the best.

But No I do not believe in the santa cluase version of a god watching over this one little planet up in the sky scratching his beard sayin yep I knew that would happen..hey I knew that too. But I musn't lift a finger to help cause that would shatter free will. However since I knew what you'd do before you did it should I just punish you immediately? Or after you've done what I knew you'd do when I built you.

"334jui8"
 46yrs • M
Dbh, real quick till I get some time to go over everything again as well.

Try to keep in mind that I've been here a long time and these discussions have patterns.

As for your satire, I think may have references that out date me and lose context because of it. And there are always going to be points or questions where serious is desired. But I will have to come back to the rest.

76yrs • M •
I am a Christian believer for a number of reasons which build on each other and, taken together, make enough sense for me to adhere to the Christian faith. Of course, no one can claim to have absolute knowledge about this.

I was brought up in the Christian faith so that, obviously, has an effect on my thought process and how I perceive the world, But I also have spent years studying other religions and ideas about ultimate reality and I love and respect many ideas that do not fit into the parameters of my Christian faith. One thing I hang on to is the Biblical idea that anyone who seeks for God will find him.

I base my rational belief in the God of the Bible on the fact that I think the resurrection of Jesus Christ can be reasonably thought to be an historical fact. Can't be proved, of course. If that is true then it leads to a reasonable belief in many other things in the Bible about God.

I add to my belief in the resurrection my own experience of Gods working in my life and the lives of others that I know. Also, my daily sense of God's presence with me.

49yrs • M •
Katrina123 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i believe in god ...bcoz love such a wonderful feeling makes you to feel god is there...........

30yrs • M •
DonGiovanni is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I am an agnostic. I do not know whether there is a god or whether there is not. I also do not find the question relevant. What I believe is that even if there some kind of a God he is much too great to be understood, to be proved, etc.
I do not believe in 99 % of the things that people say about god. I reject the Bible, the Qu'ran or any other holy book.
What i do not understand about theists is: "Why do you think that God cares about you"? God must be beyond petty human morality. There is nothing like sin or righteousness. There is no hell, no paradise, no life after death. What is good? To have something to eat? But this is not good for the animals/plants you have killed to get your food. God will never answer prayers. He just creates rules you have to submit to - such as gravity, evolution etc. It is up to you to do what you do. There are no miracles. Nothing happens for no reason.
To pray to god is to desecrate him. Why does god exist - simply to answer your prayers? This sounds so pathetic.
PS: It must be noted that I was brought up in an atheist environment. None of my relatives believes in god. I fully realize that your faith very much depends on what environment you have been brought up in. That is why in religious countries like the US there might be more believers than in atheist such as mine (15 % atheists 40 % agnostics). That is why i do not feel at all uncomfortable to say openly that i do not believe in "Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour".
"All thinking man are atheists" - E. Hemingway

why do you believe in god? - Page 16
  9    10    11    12    13    14    15    16    17  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy