For things you have missed, you have gained something else; and for things you gain, you lose something - Summit
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

why do you believe in god? - Page 2

User Thread
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Good Answer

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 64yrs • M •
I don't know how God got created. For that matter, I don't even know what God is. But just because I don't know, doesn't mean it's not so.

35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chrissie2006 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We were'nt created to understand. I bacame a Christian htree or four years ago after starteing to go to church with a friend. When you look at the Bible and the Earth, It is just all too perfest. The Human body is so complicated that it is SOOO unlikly that we "just happened" unless there was some higher power involced. As for the Bible, The Bible NEVER contradicts it's self and is, also, too perfest to have been created by man.

"Dont complain that roses have thorns. Instead, be thankful that thorns have roses."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"The Bible NEVER contradicts it's self and is, also, too perfest to have been created by man."
PFFFT.

Nonesense, the Bible WAS created by men. By many different men in fact. I think you don't even understand your own religion. The Bible is not like the Quran. The Quran claims to be the word of God, written down by Mohamed, the Bible however claims no more then to be written by men who knew Jesus. In many ways, the lesser claim makes it more likely to be true.

" The Human body is so complicated that it is SOOO unlikly that we "just happened" unless there was some higher power "
If you have a million monkeys and a million typewriters, you will eventually get Shakespeare. Darwinian Evolution shows how this process occurs in nature, to eventually get complex organisms like us.

okcitykid - "I don't know how God got created. For that matter, I don't even know what God is. But just because I don't know, doesn't mean it's not so."

A word without a definition is just that, merely a word. You have some implicit definition of God (even if it is not complete), or the word would have no meaning to you.

"Rather than believe that we don't know something, we say it is an accident. "
Just because you don't understand something, does not mean something that DOES understand it put it there.

That's what God is. It is the comforting assumption that although I'm too stupid to understand what's happening, there's a Being out there who does.

An arbitrary, comforting, assumption.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 35yrs • M •

43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Strongclad is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hello awakeningmystic! As per your question, every time you log onto Captain Cynic to read, write, rant or whatever, you will see the Edit/Delete link at the bottom of all your posts. I'm guessing it's there out of courtesy, in case you feel the need to restate yourself or even delete one of your posts. By the way, how old are you anyway?

This statement of yours makes me think dumbteen:
quote:
If you have a million monkeys and a million typewriters, you will eventually get Shakespeare. Darwinian Evolution shows how this process occurs in nature, to eventually get complex organisms like us.
Even though I understand your real point, why does it always take human intervention and thought to get such a reaction started? Are sheer numbers really proof of results?

Many people subscribe to the notion that since our universe is so massive, that there must be advanced life-forms like ourselves out there. But mere numbers do not make it true. Current studies of our universe show us that it's highly improbable for life to be anywhere else in the universe but Earth.

With my comments aside, and even thought this is off topic, may I ask how darwinian evolution has shown that this process has created complex creatures like us?

My stance to the topic at hand, though lacking in specifics, is that history has accounted for whether or not there is a God in this world and that we are all accountable as to whether or not we look at history with a serious mind. I believe that history has born witness for the truth in the God of Christianity, the resurrection of Jesus.

I'll bring more specifics showing how in my next post.

"All statements are false. The last statement is false.--One of these statements is true."
 37yrs • M •
"Many people subscribe to the notion that since our universe is so massive, that there must be advanced life-forms like ourselves out there. But mere numbers do not make it true. Current studies of our universe show us that it's highly improbable for life to be anywhere else in the universe but Earth."
The numbers tell us the universe is so incredibly huge that there's bound to be a few planets out there who can host life like ours. However, because the universe is so huge, we may never come into contact with them.
However, we don't 'know' they exist, its just probable from what we do know.

" I believe that history has born witness for the truth in the God of Christianity, the resurrection of Jesus. "
There was a historical character that was Jesus Christ. There is no serious historical record (apart from the Bible) that claims his resurection or his more divine acts.

"With my comments aside, and even thought this is off topic, may I ask how darwinian evolution has shown that this process has created complex creatures like us? "
Well, we've seen the process occur with moths if nothing else (black moths became dominant in England once trees were polluted with soot). And we know genetic mutations occur and allow this sort of long term evolution. It is also clear our universe is NOT static, it is always changing, it seems absurd to me that the environment can change and the animals would not (they would eventually all die out).

35yrs • M •

35yrs • M •

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Elemental is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
probabilities and numbers mean nothing in this. If God exists, then it is because it is the way the universe works and it is the only circumstance possible. One. When he is there, there is no debate, you can not decide or make experiements to see which possibility will bring the existence of God. If God can exist, then because of what he is, he inevitably exists.

I have always been curious as to how a mortal man may become God. It would be interesting if we did find a way to immortality, then in our everlasting life create so much because we developed psychological power.
You probably are going to say that this contradicts my first statement. Nah, cause if that was possible for man to do that, it would have happened a great long time ago because the universe is, as we all know, old.

"Fate is the shadow cast by the light of our choice. We can change our fate by altering that light."
 35yrs • M •

35yrs • M •

37yrs • M •
"If God can exist, then because of what he is, he inevitably exists."
I think you need to elaborate on that statement. The possibility of something is just that, a possibility, not a necessity.

"I have always been curious as to how a mortal man may become God. It would be interesting if we did find a way to immortality, then in our everlasting life create so much because we developed psychological power."

And we go off the deep end a bit there...

64yrs • M •
quote:

Darwin figured out how we get different kinds of turtles and birds and such. I don't believe if we had a million typewriters and a million monkeys in a million years, we will create shakespear. Unfortunately, it is all theory, as we will never be able to test it. The human being is not like any animal on this earth. A million monkeys with a million typewriters in a million years might create monkeys who have learned to communicate using different key strokes which makes different noises. Their face and hands might change a bit because of it possibly.

quote:
Nonesense, the Bible WAS created by men. By many different men in fact. I think you don't even understand your own religion. The Bible is not like the Quran. The Quran claims to be the word of God, written down by Mohamed, the Bible however claims no more then to be written by men who knew Jesus. In many ways, the lesser claim makes it more likely to be true.

Good comback. In the bible God tells people to kill inocent women and children. I don't believe it. To those who stand up and declare that the bible is the undisputed truth, I have to ask, "Have you read the bible? Surely you jest?"

quote:
That's what God is. It is the comforting assumption that although I'm too stupid to understand what's happening, there's a Being out there who does.

An arbitrary, comforting, assumption.

It is a comforting assumption, but it's the only one that makes sense to me. To believe that all things just happened, I find that to be unbelievable. I believe that because we don't know how things happen, we explain it away by saying, it just happened. Because we are unable to see all the things that had to happen to make something happen, and all the things that made those things happen, and so on.

There was a time when I thought I knew what God was, but, because of things I've learnt and experienced. I now know for a cetain that I don't have a clue.

I'm not sure if God is a being. God might be a power or a force. This I do believe, though I can't explain it: If you took everything there is and mashed it all together, you will see God.

I will agree that some people's belief being based on the bible, the church, or their community, is lame. God gave them a mind, they should use it and think for themselves and not let others think for them. Likewise, to call all of creation an accident is closing the door on something without exploring it first.

why do you believe in god? - Page 2
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy