The trouble with wanting something is the fear of losing it, or never getting it. The thought makes you weak. - CrAzYWhiteGirl
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Do we all really become our parents?

User Thread
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I've noticed lately that all of my friends (and even myself) are becoming so much like our parents. Do we all subconsciously strive to become our father (if you're a guy) or our mother (if you're a girl)?

"The truth will set you on fire"
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree that parents that are nice and parents that are abusive probably effects if you are abusive or nice to other people. But more interesting to me is that interests themselves seem to be inhereted to the children. For instance, my dad plays guitar and likewise I play guitar. My friends dad plays guitar and is into cars and likewise my friend plays guitar and is into cars. Does anybody else notice things like this with friends?

"The truth will set you on fire"
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
unless the parent took an active interest in involving the child.

Or vice versa. That the kid was trying to get the parent involved in something that the child thought the parent would enjoy.

I am not even on the same plant as far as my parents and I are concerned. My success may be driven somewhat of the fact that my parents have never really been financially sound or stable for that matter. I might me a home body because of my up-bringing of moving 27 times (literally and no my parents were not in the army). But thus far I could not be any more opposite to what my parents are and have become.

34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that littlelady89 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i am the complete opposite of my mother. even after becoming a mother myself. maybe it was because i was basically on my own at 15 and kind of formed my own personality. but i do see myself do some of the same things my mom did with me, like what i feed my daughter and how i dress her. but that's just lifestyle.

"free country my ass."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think it's kind of ironic that I was raised in a mostly crummy - semi abusive - don't really care about you home and because of that, rather than making me all spiteful and turning out like my parents, I went the complete opposite way and that pushed me to love and care about everyone I know.

My sister, on the other hand, she did take the route of becoming something I've just recently gotten away from. negativity.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 47yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that tommybc98 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Another factor that plays into you becoming your parents is approval-seeking. If you are sub-consciously looking to receive positive feedback and acceptance from one or both of your parents, you may end up wanting to do things that you see them enjoying.

"Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time"
 94yrs • M •
zanpaktou is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
A very nice topic. I would never want to be like my parents. No matter what! I feel proud to have my own character. Like others mentioned, you like it or not, the character has already slipped into you, probably a bit. Sometimes I get scared thinking I might end up being like them. No! I want to be a better person and I WILL BE A BETTER PERSON.

Sorry, if this post didn't make real sense

38yrs • F •
Soulodove is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Of course we all share similar trademarks to our parents, we are produced from their genetic makeup. However, genetics along with environment, experience, relations, occupation all contribute to our personal ideology. Therefore allowing us to achieve our own personal identity. Any being of intelligence would take the positive characteristics of our parents and use them to our advantage while eliminating the negative. Doesn't that coincide with the theory of evolution in itself? However, some people are ignorant to this matter because they are simply unaware. Awareness is key. Maybe im insane but i'm always down for improvement upon myself. My parents being two of the most prevalent human factors i can grow from.

"Remain in the nowhere else. be here."
 29yrs • M •
Orion is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
well i once heard a proverb or something some well known person said it goes like this...
every girl doesn't want to become her mother but always becomes and every boy wants to become his father but never does

don't know if it is true

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy