Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Childhood Outlets

User Thread
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Childhood Outlets
When I was a kid I used to day dream a lot. Day dreaming is basically playing something out in your head.

Its like this. I'd be sitting in first grade and I would just look like I was stareing off into nothing and people would get all concerned for me. But I was actually watching a scene play out in my head. It wasnt actually taking a physical form, but its like remembering a scene from a movie. Except I'm not remembering anything, I'm making it up. And it didnt take any time to think on it, it would all just come naturally. My brain would automaticaly make the next part of the day dream with out me needing to ask myself to.

Anyway, I used to do this a lot as a kid but everyone around me would yell at me and make fun of me for it so eventually I just stopped.

I have started doing this again. But noe instead of calling it day dreaming I call it fantasizing. And its not sexual, but in essence, thats what they are. Fantasies. I realize now that this is one of the ways that I will deal with things. The last day dream I had, about a half-hour ago, was about me winnign the lottery and all the things I would do with the money. But all the things that I was draeming up were things that had nothing to do with me, they were all ways that I would help the people around me.

And somewhere along the line I remember someone saying that in our dreams we find ways to solve problems in the real world. Its not why we dream, but its what happens in the dreams anyway. So i figure, its a lot more healthy, if infact sleep is a good thing for the reason I just said, that I day dream.

But it could also be a way of me avoiding my problems and making up fake solutions. But the solutions I come up with are only for problems that I cannot help.

Here's one of 'em.

I got a freind and her boyfreind lives really far away. I asked her, in my dream, why he and her couldnt be together and she gave me a bunch of reasons. I asked how many of the reasons could be solved by money and she looked at me awkward. She said that it didnt matter, but that if she had all the money in the world she was sure that most of those problems would go away. I told her that I won the lottery and she didnt believe me at first. So I showed her about 2000 dollars and she looked really freaked out. I told her that I was going to help her out with her boyfreind and she went on and on about how she couldnt accept it.... Anyway, you get the point.

So if I use for problems that I cant solve, is it ok?

And if I use it for a temporary solution for the ones that I might be able to solve, just havnt fully devoped it yet, is that ok?

Is day dreaming healthy in your opinion?

What kind of childhood outlets did you have and why did you stop using them?

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that spiderz is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
my god, i thought i was the only one still who did that, i do it all the time, when im in class, or on the bus. when im about to sleep. sometimes theyre good, sometimes theyre bad. sometimes its like these insane romantic fantisies. its crazy. sometimes it violent, actually its violent alot. sometimes its like i win something. im this football maniac, and i had the best day dream about how i scored the last goal in the world cup, and we won, and here i am being carried on jerrad's shoulders. but then i was pulled out of it by a loud noise.
i never stopped doing it, because i enjoy it, i dont think its unhealthy, jus shows that you have good imagination.
but in my day dreams im really selfish, and even if i do help someone its because im being covered in glory. i even had this day dream about me being seriously hurt because i got everyone's attention. i probally sound like some crazed kid who everyone ignores, its not like that.
but dont do it too much, try to stick to reality. or you could be like me, i know that im half stuck in dreams but i have a strong hold on reaity. like you need to understand that youre not going to win the lottery and money isnt everything but it does help alot of problems so it might encourage you to get a job. i hope you know where im going here.
anywayz...

"There is a thin line between bravery and stupidity"
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I personally feel that our perceptual mind is widely underused and misunderstood. Growing up we were all taught to stop day dreaming and whatnot and eventually forgot about it. But look how many problems exist in the world of anti-day dreamers. I think if more people practiced this skill (and yes I think it is a skill that can be refined) we'd all be worrying less about all this petty shit like fashion, or he said she said bullshit. We're all a little too encompassed in reality and I think if we all stepped out of it a little more often we could be a lot happier. Happiness is a feeling in our minds, we sometimes forget that.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Dreams and daydreams seem to voice our unconscious thoughts and desires. It's a neat way to see what you've been holding inside, be it a desire for attention or riches. But like spiderz said, you can use these dreams to push you in reality.

My other childhood outlets: talking to myself/imaginary friend. For those days when real friends just don't cut it because they think you're too boring or depressing to listen to.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Vortex271 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My childhood outlets were mostly writing (By the end of sixth grade year, I'd written 90 pages of a story about my beloved Legoland ) and also romping around in the lake or the pool. I daydreamed a lot, (still do) and though I never had an imaginary friend, I did have a journal that knows more about me by now than I do.
Daydreaming is a great way to dredge out your emotions and your ideas, I find often that my realizations about situations, relationships, and myself usually come during an unrelated daydream that suddenly becomes relevant with a slight prod.

""As I sit before the fire, I wonder how many before myself have been burned.'"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
So if I use for problems that I cant solve, is it ok?

And if I use it for a temporary solution for the ones that I might be able to solve, just havnt fully devoped it yet, is that ok?

Is day dreaming healthy in your opinion?

What kind of childhood outlets did you have and why did you stop using them?

There are like four different qeustions there...

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I too daydreamed alot in first grade. I can remember sitting there and realizing that the teacher and class were waiting on me to answer a question and how gnawed my pencil would be. Simple things that I thought about be they fantasies or anything, probably just cause I was so bored in class. Other than that I've used them to deal with anger and what not, its alot better to say mean things you don't necessarily mean to people in your head than the ones that are real.
As for any one who felt this was something unique to themselves, watch cartoons once in a while, such as douge from nickelodeon... yeah alot of childrens cartoon characters day dream. Its something I think most people do one way or another.

Is it ok? Thats up to you and how it effects your daily life.
Temporary solutions are the only kind.
Again its as healthy as mastubating. Its only bad when it has negative effects on your normal ruitine. If you do it instead of going to work, eating, sleeping, etc yeah its bad...

I used to draw, play video games, and sit thinking. Fire was good too of course.

"Dark and silent and complete."
Childhood Outlets
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy