Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Drunken - Page 2

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The problem with laws and regulations is that they exist in place of people being responsible for their own actions. In some cases a drinking establishment can be held accountable, in part or full, if a patron leaves in an intoxicated state and is involved in a car accident as a result.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There are laws that hold people responsible for their actions. Occasionally, judges overlook that, but the laws are still there. But it society doesn't uphold the values that support those laws (ex: no one thinks it's wrong to go to a bar then drive home), then the law is almost useless.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 39yrs • M •
Exactly, this is because people do not get involved with laws. It is assumed that the laws make us responsible but that is incorrect.

36yrs • F •
They do to an extent. The law can just make us more sneaky.

People should first have certain values to uphold the laws, for without those beliefs and values, those laws won't exist. Why do you have laws against gay marriage in some states and not others? Because there are beliefs that uphold and support those laws.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 39yrs • M •
Laws don't make us more responsible in fact they tend to make us more sneaky. People will do things if they can be fairly confident that they will not be caught and punished.

There are no certain values, will live in a society that tells us nothing is certain therefore the laws would be completely subjective

36yrs • F •
No, we are not there yet. There is still certainty. We still have values. Believing that anyone can choose their own sexual orientation is a value. Believing that girls should get an education like boys is a value. We are a very Christian and commercial society, so values exist to support the economy.

Our current values support alcohol and drunkenness. One example is the fact that college drinking is a part of the college experience.

39yrs • M •
There is little certainty. You may value equal education but that may only apply to you. Some may value sobriety while others value binge drinking. It is not a matter of lack of values just that there is little by way of common values. We encourage everyone to have their own individual values so that anything and everything is acceptable. The major common value in this society is that everyone should have their own unique set of values. This will make it almost impossible to have a workable justice system.

36yrs • F •
I understand what you're saying. If we had common values (like regardless of race, we don't tolerate racism), we'd have a set of laws that are more supported by society.

So then what do we do? Take away the right to your own beliefs?

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Das Kapital is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Alcohol should always be used in moderation.

"To wish for death is a coward's part." [Timidi est optare necem.] Ovid"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Our current values support alcohol and drunkenness. One example is the fact that college drinking is a part of the college experience.

My brother moved to Germany and there everybody drinks. You have a bottle of wine after dinner.

While I was in the Navy, there were a large amount of people, if possible, would get trashed everynight. I can remember laying in my rack and listening to this guy praying to God as he pukes his brains out. Each time before he pukes, he tells God he's sorry and he won't do it again. The next day he's boasting to everyone about how he got wasted as if it were fun and he's ready to go do it again. I can give you so many more examples, and I'm sure you could too. I don't know if you've been to Europe. In Europe everybody will drink, but nobody gets trashed. I'm sure that does happen, but it's not very common. There are things wrong with our society and its just not the acceptance of alcohol, because Europe does it and they're okay. The problems in our society go much deeper and are far more complicating then any laws could fix.

Speaking of laws, so many states have this stupid law about not buying alcohal on Sunday or after a certain time forcing those who feel like they have to get hammered to go to a bar and drive home - real smart law there.

If all the cops kept an eye on everybody to insure that the already laws on the books concerning alcohal were being followed, then nobody would be watching the bank making sure it doesn't get robbed.

This had been brought up before at one of our meetings when I was in the Navy. A man gets drunk comes home and rapes his daughter and claims he couldn't help it because he was drunk. The Navy throws the book at him explaining that even though he was drunk, he still knew right from wrong and was still in control of himself, alcohal was just an excuse. The Navy had taken the stand that a criminal would be charged the same whether they were sober or drunk regarding any violent crime. This might be one stand our courts might want to take - because people do use alcohal as an excuse to commit rape and violence and it shouldn't be tolerated.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 45yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Beuphemia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Just last week my dad bled internally to death as a result of getting drunk every day over the course of many years. In this case, it's bad. My couple glasses of red wine here however...

32yrs • F •
luna247 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Cut running water with a sword, it will faster flow; Drink wine to drown your sorrow, it will heavier grow.
I suddenly remembered this poem

"20"
Drunken - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy