True love is neither physical, nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be. - UNKNOWN
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The last leg for Atheism

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Conway is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The last leg for Atheism
I have argued many times with an atheist. And the conclusion that all our argueing came to was the idea that 1) nither of us could prove God. 2)It is far better that he exist than that he doesnt. However it remains that the atheist said that we only want God to exist. That we want this because we can't deal with the possibilety that he doesn't. He said that he could. I thought about it and decided I was fine with him not existing to. But how is it that one does still prefers that he does not exist. Why does the atheist prefer that God doesn't exist?

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Because 1) the ignorant lazy atheist doesnt want to go to church on sundays and 2) the other would understand that such a God wouldn't be a very good god if he did exist. Predetermined damnation isn't my thing sorry.

"Dark and silent and complete."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
considering im an atheist I would say its becouse at the least I dont care if god exists even if he did i still wouldnt belive in him becouse i prefer my belives over that of a mass religons. Also how can anyone really answer this question fully becose I am sure each and every atheist has a diffrent reason for not beliving in god. to answer the question a little more, its becouse we just want to have our own little space in the world and it that means we dont belive in a god then fine by me.

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
1) well no shit.
2) so its much better to be inslaved and know whats going to happen, than ne free and not have a clue. yeah, i dont think so. but thats just one guys opinion.

however, being a true atheist myself, if the only reason he says he doesnt beleive in god is because it is possible that god doesnt exist, i beleive there is a good chance that he is just saying that. and that he is truly agnostic and doesnt quite know what he beleives.
i am an atheist. i do not beleive there is a god. if you ask me why, i will sau because i dont. if you think this is a bad reason, you do not know what atheism is. it means you dont beleive. plain and simple. it does not mean that something has happend to you in a religios manner so you choose not to beleive. it only means you dont beleive.
if you ask a christian why they beleive and they give you an answer, they are not christian. they are agnostic. a true beleiver just beleives.
quote:
considering im an atheist I would say its becouse at the least I dont care if god exists even if he did i still wouldnt belive in him becouse i prefer my belives over that of a mass religons

this is a perfect example of an agnostic. he does now know what n the hell he is talking about, only that he doubts god exists. that in itself means that he is not agnostic. because an atheist has never had doubt. they have never beleived it. ever. a lack of care does not mean a lack of religion.
quote:
I am sure each and every atheist has a diffrent reason for not beliving in god. to answer the question a little more, its becouse we just want to have our own little space in the world and it that means we dont belive in a god then fine by me.
please do not speak for me. i find it extremely insulting. and you are wrong. atheist dont have reasons. not because they dont need them, because they dont have them. you are not a true atheist because you chose not to beleive. you are lost.

so to sum that up.
quote:
But how is it that one does still prefers that he does not exist
atheist do not have preferences, they just dont have feelings towards it.
quote:
Why does the atheist prefer that God doesn't exist?

atheist dont. idiots do.
quote:
Predetermined damnation isn't my thing sorry.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Enigmatic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah, an atheist simply doesn't believe that there is a god, so the issue of preferring it's existence one way or the other isn't an issue. To ponder this is more like being in an agnostic state.

But I could really care less for labeling so much.

"How am I not myself?"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
if you were brought up in a society with no mention of god, would you think one existed? (assuming no coincidences occured)

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
maybe. i wouldnt. but etherealmeekle might.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
if you were brought up in a society with no mention of god, would you think one existed? (assuming no coincidences occured)

Do you think such a society could even exist? It will not exist because people cannot keep God from being known.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Enigmatic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Do you think such a society could even exist? It will not exist because people cannot keep God from being known.

Um, I'm pretty sure there are regions in the world that are, in our eyes, primitive, and that have been cut off from other cultures; yes, there are areas where people have not heard of the traditional god.

I can't give any specifics at the moment but I'm sure such places exist.

As far as a culture that has already known of god and such, it would be impossible to change and not have someone mention it, of course.

"How am I not myself?"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:

Which "god"? Keep in mind that religion is a creation of mankind, not any supernatural power or powers, so obviously the entire world did not know about god before people invented religion.

"He who does not question is lost."
 39yrs • M •
How is it possible that one can not have any feelings towards God's existence. To say that then you must say. I do not care about my existence, I do not care about my family's existence. In fact I do not care about anything at all. Because God (wether he exist or doesnt) is in idea all of these things that exist.

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Um, I'm pretty sure there are regions in the world that are, in our eyes, primitive, and that have been cut off from other cultures; yes, there are areas where people have not heard of the traditional god.

No one said anything about a "traditional" god. The fact that religions exist mean people are trying to identify with God whether or not they do this accurately is beside the point. The "god" idea exists because people naturally will seek out God. And even in remote places people have had experiences with a God that they never knew existed.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
[  Edited by etherealmeekle at   ]
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
But how is it that one does still prefers that he does not exist. Why does the atheist prefer that God doesn't exist?

An Atheist has no means of support from a hypothetical 'God'. They generally believe that God is merely a human constructed thought. An illusion. Not rational nor logical. An empty abstraction. Irrelevent to life. That without a God, life is more meaningful and free. Some would say that the existence of God is meaningless because it has no verifiable (or testable) consequences and should therefore be ignored.

An Atheist may either be implicent- a person who has not yet learned about god(s), theism or religion. All people are born implicit atheists. Or an Athiest may be explicit- who understands what a god is and who has concluded that no such beings exist.

It is probably 'true' that without a belief in god, the mind is freer to pursue philosophical and scientific enquiries as there is no "god" to simply attribute cause to, when a phenomenon is not understood.

Atheism is not a moral stance or a moral choice. Individuals adopt their morals from their context.

Atheist religions by far have the kinder record as far as wars and atrocities are concerned. The mono-theistic beliefs are especially prone to acts of genocide and war in their endless attempts to wipe out opposing deities. Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism are examples of atheist belief.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Very well put summit.

"The fact that religions exist mean people are trying to identify with God" That is hardly the case. You seem to think that because God exists people seek him out with out any prior knownledge. However, try and delve into the human psyche and understand why people would want to believe in God if he didn't exist, or any god for that matter.

"Dark and silent and complete."
 39yrs • M •
I think summit you have a point. However. The fact still remains that with out the existence of a God. Then there is no point in liveing. Therefore it is better that he exist. yet some still prefer he does not.

The last leg for Atheism
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy