If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace - Thomas Paine
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

If women ruled the world... - Page 2

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Anyone who thinks that a matriarchial society would be relatively the same as a patriarchal society, is feebly thinking within a patriarchial thought system.

And also note; that so far this discussion has only involved one opinion from a female.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What do you based your model of a matriarchial society on? What kind of differences do you expect and give reasons for the differences.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that xanadoool is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Summit. It seems you have forgotten the simple fact. There have been matriarchal societies in the past, and they were just as violent and disorganised as the patriarchal societies that followed.

The best system is one where men and women share power equally, which, dispite feminists claims, is exactly what we have today. In most western countries, there are laws specifically designed to protect the rights of women, and in those same countries, there are no laws protecting the rights of men in similar areas.

In my country, we have a womens affairs minister, a womens support structure(DPB) and a tax rebate that only applies to solo mothers, though I know of many solo fathers.

Please tell me, in what way is that a patriarchal society?

"Always give to the left, coz the right way is the wrong way."
 38yrs • M •
Ethereal:
quote:
What do you based your model of a matriarchial society on? What kind of differences do you expect and give reasons for the differences.

I don't believe in some of this information, yet it is interesting....read this (especially the comparison table): http://www.matriarchy.info/index.php?option=content&task=view&id
=2&Itemid=26

Margaret Mead states in her "Male and Female":
"In every known human society, the male's need for achievement can be recognized. Men may cook or weave or dress dolls or hunt humming-birds, but if such activities are appropriate occupations of men, then the whole society, men and women alike, votes them as important. When the same occupations are performed by women, they are regarded as less important. In a great number of human societies men's sureness of their sex role is tied up with their right, or ability, to practise some activity that women are not allowed to practise."

Most patriarchal socialized women and men are not able to think out of patriarchal norms

xanadoool: I too believe that the best society is of gender equality. It is certainly the case that women are becomming more and more accepted and powerful in certain cases such as in Sweden. Yet if we are talking on a global scale where two- thirds of the world's population are in developing countries (thats over 4 billion people), it becomes apparent that women are commonly seen as the "Other".

At a regional scale, like New Zealand where yes, Helen Clark is your prime minister, women represent significant importance in society. New Zealand's social structure isn't exactly matriarchial though. Just think about current issues such as:
- discrimination
- rape
- typical women's roles

"The role of women in modern societies which have the resources but lack the security of mind to accept the demonstrable equality of the sexes, and so relieve themselves of the strain of some anachronistic customs and puerile antagonisms" Steven Webster- Auckland, New Zealand

As I said, I don't think a matriarchial society nor a patriarchial society is best, I think an equal society where gender equality exists at all levels is best

39yrs • M •
I find that chart hard to believe. What makes you think that women have no desire for power? This desire alone would indicate that a hierarchy would be formed.

38yrs • M •
of course some women have a desire for power. As I said, I don't agree totally on that table.

39yrs • M •
In all likelihood the fact that women are also human would suggest that they would have the same kinds of faults as men and therefore not create a balanced system or even a system that is all the different from the male system.

38yrs • M •
There is something known as genetic differences, hormonal differences, behavioural differences. To say that there wouldn't be any differences isn't considering the foundations of inequalities.

39yrs • M •
I didn't say there wouldn't be differences but I don't think it would be very different.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that xanadoool is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
One possilbe difference could be that wars start once a month, and end within a week... and yes, that was a shot at the 'female monthly visitor'.

"Always give to the left, coz the right way is the wrong way."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
women already rule the world......it's a woman power thing now isn't it??.....from the day eve sinned women have ruled the world because adam gave up his power to her.......we fight for women and fight against man, so women already rule the world!......that's why everything is fucked up now!

"Being is not knowing!"
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Photar is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If you wanna bring religion into this 730 maybe you should see how Jesus spoke to and about women. Never did he ever treat them as anything but equal to men and would often hold women up as examples to men on how he wanted people to act.

There were more women preaching the Christian message in Jesus' time then men. Then, about 280AD the Catholic church got all "man power" and stopped ordaining women. This is about the time that loyal supporter of Jesus, Mary Magdelene, "became" a reformed prositute and follower of Jesus instead of patron and disciple.

If Jesus was still angry with women from Eve's time why didn't he ever let on? Maybe because he was against such crap as sexism, prejudice and power-mungering. Maybe.

Beside it took Satan to tempt Eve and only Eve to tempt Adam so who is the weaker party here anyway? She didn't posses him. He could have said no. But he didn't.

Anyway, I want good people to lead the world. Their gender doesn't matter. The person inside is who you are and any person can be a good or dreadful leader.
The fact is though, on average, men are over-represented as perpetrators of violent crime, despotism, sexual assult etc and women and children and over-represented as victims.

There are simple more violent men than women and these men are more hungry for power. Few women want that power and if they do it is often to protect what they have and their children rather than make a name for themselves.
It happens that women chase power, but it's rare.

And power is always best given to those who don't want it.

"We are, all of us, in the gutter but some of us a looking at stars"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Few women want that power and if they do it is often to protect what they have and their children rather than make a name for themselves.
It happens that women chase power, but it's rare.

Everyone wants power and control over their environment. If we look at a stereotypical high school scenario, power for a guy may mean physical power whereas for a girl it may mean a social mastery. If a guy wants to hurt someone, he'll punch him. If a girl wants to hurt a girl, she'll spread rumors about her. (Again, a stereotypical environment) So it's not always about women wanting to protect their kids.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
To Photar:....Maam I understand all of that....i'm saying it's about a balance...man is wrong for putting hisself above women, and women are in the same wrong because they are putting themselves above man in this day and age...it's a power struggle between both sides that goes nowhere but downward...what do you think woman power is about?...the word power is not just a word for decoration!!....There's strengthening and there's powerstruggle......... And it's not religion if I speak about adam and eve it's history.....woman was brought from man to complete him....not to be ruled under him.....women don't need to look down on man and men don't need to do the same...it's all a balance, and the world has been off balance ever since sin hit, because they only delve into two extremes......today everything is the way it is because we're at one of those extremes, A womans world....Like it was in the beginning, it's the same way in the end!

"Being is not knowing!"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The women's movement is putting more effort to make men and women exactly the same rather than honoring what's feminine. Men and women are equal, but not the same. Could you say that the movement is not allowing women to be women (whatever that means)? Is it supressing womanhood and femininity?

If women ruled the world, would masculinity be repressed?

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
If women ruled the world... - Page 2
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy