My religion is sarcasm. The theme is sarcasm. The motto is 'THIS IS A SERIOUS RELIGION!' - fireflys
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

a question

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Conway is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
a question
We have I.Q. test, and an E.Q. test. We have have multiply intelligence test. Why then do we not have a test for wisdom?

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
How do you test wisdom? How could you say that this child is wiser than the average child or his/her age? What is wisdom? Here is the dictionary definition:
Wisdom: The ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting.

But what may be right to you may not be right to me. Or what may seem wrong now may not seem wrong later.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Widsom's a matter of opinion. Where as inteligence is merely a status. But, when you take an IQ test do yo really believe that's your inteligence level.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
are we not testing each other with every post we make? i know i am. this IS our wisdom test. and our peers are our judges.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
so basically if wisdom is opinion then no one is wise.. at times i see people as intelligent other times i see the same people as clueless

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
if wisdom is opinion then only can someone that you do not think that you are smarter than can prove to be wise. other wise they will be disregarded as unwise.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i agree with this being our wisdom test, wisdom is a mixture of inteligence, knowledge etc, you also need to know how to combine them.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that mindfields19 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It's funny, I have never tested above average. In fact, some of my standardized test scores in high school were fucking awful, but my grades have always been decent to above average. Test anxiety? ADHD, perhaps? I really do not know. But to tell you the truth, it kind of pisses me off. Now, I am not one of those idiots who bases his or her life on everyone else....

...But, seeing people who made decisions far less wise than my own get accepted to colleges that wouldn't accept me due to lower standardized test scores WAS a blow to my self-esteem.

In my opinion, people who are intelligent and people who are wise do not always fall into the same category. If I could somehow have achieved the scores my peers achieved in high school, placing myself above the better half of my class, what would that have changed? Would I have gotten into a wider range of schools? Would that slight change on some statistic chart have changed my life forever? I certainly hope not. I am content with my level of what I consider book smarts. I really hope that wisdom is never defined by some sort of test, because I feel that it would defeat it's own purpose.

"In the beginning, night was memory was water, and in the cool aquamarine depths dreams swam freely."
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MJClone is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Wisdom comes from going foward in life and not making the same stupid mistakes. Wisdom has nothing to do with intelligence. You can go to college and become intelligent get you B.S./ PHD; and still get your as* kicked in the game of life. The only way to get wisdom is through actions and learning from your experinces. Wisdom is a life or death situation. A child will no from experince that a pot on the stove is hot and will create a sense of threating events that will cause it to not touch the pot while on the stove.

"what if I'm a clone?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
is knowing that the pot is hot wisdom though. animals learn not to tough things that hurt them. i agree that inteligence and wisdom are different, but i think that they are linked.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wholly is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think that intelligence is a human construct. wisdom is univeral. that is why we can 'measure' one and not the other.

"dont got one"
 34yrs • M •
phacops rana is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
as humans go, we know nothing. that is why we like iq tests. they give us an inflated sense of our mental capacity. a wisdom test would prove to be an even greater endeavor in folly. so we are 'intelligent' and/or 'wise' within whatever confines are used to define either term. as such, they are moving targets. we interpret how others respond to what we say or write. that interpretation can range from a vague nuance of a feeling to a quantified score. people can say i am 'intelligent' or 'wise'. so what, ultimately it means nothing. it is more than a little ironic that both terms are products of human kind's ignorance. that may sound like a bad thing, but it is not. it is a human thing that we use to relate to what is around us; to observe, interpret, hypothesize, theorize, and even conduct discussions like this one.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
How can wisdom not tie in with intelligence. Intelligence combined with life experience creates wisdom. It takes intelligence to find a different way of approaching the problem. Someone with a PhD may not always be wiser than someone without, but the probability of such a thing occurring is much lower. The greatest thinkers in the past 100 years, majority had post secondary education.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wholly is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
if you preface your argument with "as humans go, we know nothing", why should anyone read beyond that? its not like you know what you are talking about. as far as the greatest thinkers of the last 100 years having a postsecondary education, id go only so far as to say that the greatest published thinkers of the last 100 years had a post secondary education.

"dont got one"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MJClone is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Between Jacker and Wholly which one is sharing the left brain because the way your thoughts are developed they come from way out in left field. I agree with Cynic-al with that intelligence and wisdom are linked. They do tie in together by the simple fact of they are methods of progress. Meaning they are the two essential ingredients to create a repetative pattern or a new way of thinking.

No one is doubting Intellgence is important and should be shunned. Hell I went to school and Being intelligent only got me good grades. It didn't land me a job though. With wisdom I learned that I would need to apply myself in learning how to communicate with people that are different in personalities. Again to qualify my last statement. Intelligence: gather information. Wisdom: experience of what happened and what the result would be if I continued on the same path.

"what if I'm a clone?"
a question
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy