Ignorance is bliss. Intelligence brings pain. Why do we strive for intelligence? - shadowcult
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Avoid strangers glances and smiles

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It strikes me as odd that a lot of people avoid glances because it makes them feel uncomfortable. Why?

Also, would you smile back if a stranger smiled at you? Do you smile at strangers? I was inspired by one woman who smiled at me on a day I was emotionally weak. Since then, I've been smiling at strangers hoping to make someone's day a little brighter. Do you see anything wrong with this?

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
smiling at strangers is very satisfying. i make a point to do it because i get a lot out of it. even when they dont smile back i still feel better about myself when i am smiling at people. plus the simple act of smiling releases chemicals that make you happy.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Smiling at strangers...I find it kinda creepy. Unless of course it's a girl in which case it's my day.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have trouble with this one and I'm not sure why, but I try to recognize others as they pass me, but if suspect they are uncomfortable with this I ignore them.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 41yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that rancidkitty26 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i dont know, i find it kind of strange how some people are...there have been times when i smile or even say hello to a stranger and they completely ignore me, like i did something wrong.......people dont trust or even aknoledge other people anymore....
i find that most elderly people (in their sixties or older) will smile or say hello back though......
is it a generational thing?
i dont know, im 22 and i'll smile or say hello to someone i don't know,my boyfriend is 25 and so will he,maybe it has something to do with the way you're raised,although we were raised completely different.....
i've thought about this before and it always leaves me sort of puzzeled

"we are the music makers, and we, are the dreamers of dreams"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think it has a lot to do with fear, there is a lot going on in this world.

It was real bad like that here after the oklahama city bombing, but I think we're somewhat back to normal again.

But as a truck driver going into New York, I found people like that all the time there.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah I agree with okcitykid the youth of today have to deal with their fear of people. Everywhere you turn the media is blasted with the most catastrophic events that took place the other day. Newspapers base their front pages with crimes and health information. People fear strangers instead of trusting in the common good.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 34yrs • F •
Fallen Angel is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
You know that's a good question with most likely many answers. People are probably uncomfortable with it or just fearful. I've noticed it considering I'm the person that will randomly wave at strangers or says hi and most of the time get ignored.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
it is quite a generational thing, i must say i don't tend to smile at strangers or say hi, witout some reason to do so, say for example introducing myself to someone at school or at a party.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 36yrs • F •
Could it be an urban thing? There is the belief that people in the Northern states and in cities are cold and always in a rush.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that firstright89 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Its the fear we instill by making metal detectors at school, and just plain being overprotective of our children
i usually do the whole head nod thing (to guys) and sometimes hello

"choose to be happy today"
 36yrs • M •
i say thanks to people who open doors for me or let me past, when im wandering around town or stuff like that, but i usually only nod to guys i know.

its not just an american thing, i'm british and it happens over here, and we dont have metal detectors etc round our schools. it's just that everyone is a bit bust with their own lives to make conversation with strangers. how much of a new thing is it? i don't think there ever was a time when everyone said hi, regardless of whether or not they knew each other.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 36yrs • F •
It feels so awkward though. I smile at a woman and she turns away coldly. Why can't we look at each other in the eyes?

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Next time that happens to you, approah the personw ith this qeustion, then ask them whats wrong? And listen to their response. Ask them why they feel bad and not well enough to give a simple smile back.
Often times people use body langauge without knowing it and often times it is mistaken for rudeness.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M •
that is true, understanding someones body language is usually harder than understanding what they say. if someone grins at you, you dont know if they find your appearance amusing, or if they are just smiling at you.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy