He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man - Dr. Johncon
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Is it so bad?

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Is it so bad?
We live in an age where things could be going terribly badly. News is filledwith horrors and rarely good news. People die, people get ill, people break-up.

But I just take a step back sometimes and think well is it all so bad? Yes we should always keep our eyes open so that we dont all get shitted on big time...But without all this emotion; without the questions; without the hatred and the love and the conspiracies life would be pretty damn dull.

Could you imagine, really, a world where everyone thinks the same, everyone just acts the same? I'd prefer the shithole we've got now to that.

""No words""
 38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that neuterdbynature is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
our whole world is one big roller coaster. Unforseen climes and falls. twists and turns that make our stomachs churn or our eyes tear up. A dangerous roller coaster which makes our lives worth living. So your right it would be dull if everything was the same. I myself have gotten off this roller coaster, I slept for a while then got back in line to ride it again. It always changes everytime i'm on it ..... Hope this made sense to u

"What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Vortex271 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
if we were all the same, there'd be no adaptation to any situation. A single problem that one man could not solve therefore cannot be solved by a thousand of that man.
When life gets shitty, I just remind myself it's all part of the ride- don't know when it'll end, (really don't care) but I plan to have fun every step of the way.

""As I sit before the fire, I wonder how many before myself have been burned.'"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm at a crossroads on this issue, not for a freakin second would I ever desire everyone and or everything to be the same, but that is not the opposite of our "shit-hole" world, which of course if filled with good things as well.

There is variety in pleasantries, excitement, and fun. As well as different types of good people.

Pain and loss, these are the bads that are inevitable currently and give the perspectives that allow us to know what good and bad is, however, though some malicious intents or conspiracies may be necessary on some level, I'm not sure the ones I hear about are worth finding acceptable.

When it comes to the systematic torture and rape and murder of children and adults, I'm sorry, I've experienced just enough abuse and violence in life to not be willing to turn a blind eye, especially societies "elites" and members of our own governments, allegedly including presidents.

Maybe you weren't thinking of this type of thing in particular, maybe so.

But this is not ok to me.

And in case you think these things aren't a reality, well, you don't have to argue with me on it, just Senators, FBI, Lawyers, and the witnesses and survivors who have fought and generally lost in court battles, sudden violent deaths of CIA and disappearing evidence.

Which can all be attributed to one case, or many like it. Most just never see a court room or headlines.

One for certain did if you care to investigate, appease curiosity, perhaps tempt fate.

http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/thrdid=33949-u-frmid=23

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 41yrs • M •
Difference is the opposite of similarity. The word 'balance' springs to mind.

Anyone who does condone this type of behaviour would be called an extreme bad in society. And those that practice this are

I believe stronly in hedonism in that the advancement of happiness for the majority over pain is perhaps the greatest aim. Reality of human nature will prevent everyone having more pleasure than pain though.

Have a browse:

http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/thrdid=46459-u-frmid=13

However, one problem with democracy is that in reality it rules on an elite, a gross number and a number who scrape the bottom of the pan...some equilibrium must be sought.

However, some people dwell sop much upon the horrors of this they become almost a part of this world, albeit not by choice, but it is at least right to say that this world is not that bad. You may see the glass as half empty or half full...the engineer will see the glass at two times to big but never forget if you see ther glass as half empty never forget it is also half full.

So, I do recognise the reality and would never condone blindness to it, but I do see the necessity for us to take comfort in the good of today precisely for us to be happy..and from happiness we may be more capable to solve the problems.

Knowledge is powerful. And it works introspectively as well as outwardly.

""No words""
 62yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lady Tazmanian is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
No matter how bad the situation is, there should (and will) be something good that is a result of it.

45yrs • M •
Salinger is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Couldn't it be said that although we all attempt to take a strong hold on our "individualism"--we are after all the same? Within each paradigm--we do sound, act, dress the same/ How can you escape culture? Even if you manage to stray from the dominant culture.....through a constructed counter culture you'll be even more so upholding the ideologies of the dominant culture.
Difference? or just the same in the opposite way....

""Of men, wealth, laws a solid frame, A place where every wise man goes: GOPLACIA is now my name.""
 41yrs • M •
Give each individual of the twin a guitar and both will produce a different song.

Society is the guitar. The song is the individual.

I have thought about this second part much more deeply. Should get you thinking if you can see beyond the apparent obvious.

""No words""
 45yrs • M •
Salinger is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
hmmm.... yes good point.
But I was thinking less along the lines of methodology and more along the lines of post modern thought:
the social structure is a repressive regime which prevents "individual" ideas. Basically what I mean, the need to debunk the modernist notion of unified, rational and expressive subjectivities, we must decentre fixed identities.
Which is what I meant when I questioned if we are really all the same.

""Of men, wealth, laws a solid frame, A place where every wise man goes: GOPLACIA is now my name.""
 41yrs • M •
I'm not disagreeing here; but then nor am I agreeing in some ways. Perhaps if I added another experiment so:

1. In our society

Give each individual of the twin a guitar and both will produce a different song.

2. On a romote desert island on a planet in another Galaxy.

Look at the word individual. The answers there

""No words""
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
No matter how bad the situation is, there should (and will) be something good that is a result of it.

As well as something bad.

And so balance will be maintained.

The glass is always full, of something, be it liquid, air, good, bad, or variable (x).

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 41yrs • M •
Glass is always full...there is never nothing.

""No words""
Is it so bad?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy