Dying is an art, like everything else. I do it exceptionally well. I do it so it feels like hell. I do it so it feels real. I guess you could say I've a call. - Sylvia Plath
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

fashion

User Thread
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that the awful noise is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
fashion
does anyone else think that fashion is WIDELY overrated and glorified? i cant begin to believe that there are colleges that specialize in fashion... the way we dress/look. wow. theres a whole shitload of things to study and develop. why are we analyzing which $700. pair of shoes looks best with the trendiest bag? puke

and look at the general magazines in a drugstore. about 80% of them are about -getting that look--- and superficialness.
we're kind of teaching the coming generation of teens that looking a certain way is almost Necessary. seems to me that we put image first and everything else revolves around it. maybe this is more orevalent in my area and im also not saying that everyone acts this way. but the fashion colleges..wow comeon people wake up

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i wouldnt quite go that far, lol. your managing to sound like an over indoctrinate redkneck vicar, and frankly if this wasnt an internet convo, i would have run off.

i think fashion is overrated. it is active encouragement to be a sheep, and as long as there is one sheep, there will be one too many (by sheep i mean somone who follows others without thinking, just in case anyone thought id was changing subject). i think everyone should just wear what they like, and what is comfortable.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The view depends what you want to achieve!

If you want a tip to fit in go along with the current trend but make yours just a little different. Alternatively be truly individual and you may be too different.

""No words""
 36yrs • M •
true, you can be to different. ill change what i said, to dont follow the fashion, but dress with some taste. its fine to stand out, but to look like you dont understand the society is not good.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 41yrs • M •
Fashion can be seen as two things: in the wider sense it is the trend of a time; in the particular it is a trend of clothing.

I wish there was not war. But it does not stop it being reality. I have the same views about fashion. I think it depends upon the scale of fashion! Comparing clothes fashions with Naziism seems a little asymetric. People naturally gather together and share common views: it is what people do. It is a problem of our society but one that is real.

So if you want to change it, ironically, to speak to English, even if you dont like the language, you nevertheless have to speak English.

""No words""
 36yrs • M •
sharing common views is not a problem.

following something blindly and aginst moral standing, because "everyone else is doing it" however is.

41yrs • M •
A wolf dressed in sheeps clothing is the common phrase.

I remember a fascinating story. i cannot find the link page so I'll post it when i find it. Anyway a species was found that they thought was half-man half orangutan. The sceince sommunity went mad. A paper was published in nature and I will try and find it. Anyway it was concluded that it was an abnormality and was rejected by the other orangutans although this individual was far more intelligent and one which we may have thought would be far superior.

""No words""
 41yrs • M •
You can work against a problem or with the problem; I prefer the latter.

Lets just seperate cause from effect. Of course you are on the right lines with the causal connections and the reasons why people do things; although the effect of Nazism and clothes fashion is certainly asymetric.

But I have heard very wise men trying their best to communicate to those who simply do not listen their thoughts even though the reality is they are thinking much more clearly. Sometimes you need authority to say things...and authority is something earned when one fits into the society or by one who practices at least the language or the 'feel' of that society. I do not like this but it is a reality.

The same principle holds in doing a little bit of bad for the greater good. I sometimes wonder whether Britain would have stood up against Hitler as much if it had not had Churchill as a leader. There will always be leaders; there will always be sheep. The hope is that the good outnumber the bad.

For now; shout as high as you can but I assure you you will be heard more if you work with society...

Think on this...Princess Diana died on the same day as Mother Teresa but who did the vast number of people have more compassion for when in death?

I do not like it; but it is true.

As for the apeman it was a humanzee, supposed cross between human and chimapnzee. Heres the link:

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf110/sf110p06.htm

""No words""
 41yrs • M •
True, true...this is a place for just having a good old moan and generally its the people who are defensive that seem to get here and stand there case. No worries though all good points.

The essence of fashion might be evil and I agree; but there will always be difference in nature and this, ironically, allows for there to be similarities....it is the better differences which tends for these similarities. This one, however, I kind of interupted on because of the sense of irony...to stop becoming fashionable and yet succeed you must at some point be fashionable.

I think the point is in many ways fashion is inversely proportional to indibiduality and thus freedom.

""No words""
 41yrs • M •
This is important. If you think about it if individuals go back to how they are individually...they will still mould with people who are similar to themselves. The people who will dominate this group though will be the one who is strongest in a Darwinian sense. The difference though is that rather than follow artificial standards (i.e. those imposed by the society) they will be following things they individually like. Now I have no idea whether this wopuld cause chaos or harmony....But damn...there's a new philosophy of social structures there...Hmmm...Time for thinking.

""No words""
 36yrs • M •
fashion to an extent is useful. laws are a sort of fashion, just one the is imposed more obviously. would you deny that they are a good thing? fashion is what created society in a way. someone started doing something one way, and others thought it was a good idea.

Fashion is not evil. in the same way that a knife is not evil. they can both do good, but they can both do evil, you just have to use common sense in your approach to both.

41yrs • M •
I may be wrong here but essentially we have stumbled across 2 types of what good is.

Cynic, I sense that yours is about the fact good just exists.

The other is that good is about freeing yourself from ties...seeing with your own eyes kind of thing.

Good points.

""No words""
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Punkycarrot is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
'fashion' is completely pointless
its a way forvain people to try and impress each other
following 'fashion' fashion is like being a sheep that follows a herd
why bother
if 'Popular' people dont like you for what you wear then their not worth it
wearing things you like is showing who you are so wearing what others want you to wear means your hiding who you are
if your friends stop liking you coz your not wearing the latest t-shirt then are they worth it
be your self for gods sake

"rock on"
 33yrs • F •
Anguista is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
"Fashion is something so ugly it has to change every six months" - Oscar Wilde

I believe that, fully. If people can't stick to it that long, was it ever really worth it?

I don't have the money to do that, nor does anyone in my family, thus I'll keep my t-shirts and jeans until they're somehow destroyed.

Fashion has a following only because people care about how they look, and god knows you don't want to be that one person who looks so last year.

Fashion is followed, especially by the youth because it's all about being like everyone else. You'll get looked at weird and all of these horrible things will happen if you're not like everyone else.

Where as when you get older, you don't care as much. You've been there, done that, and you're not about to waste a few hundred dollars a year to do what you did X many years ago.

It's pointless.

If you want to follow fashion, alright- whatever floats your boat. Just don't bug me when you finally notice I've had the same clothes for three or four years.

"Your happiness is conditional."
 36yrs • M •
i've got to admit that i changed the way i dress quite a lot recently, however, i still dont really think i dress in any particular fashion, though i did change because i thought the wat i dressed looked somewhat "childish". at times the way i look verges on band member from "Jet" but most of the time, its whatever i think looks good and i can get at a decent price.

the question to ask, "was my idea of childish and looks good affected by social inputs?" how would i look, or think aobut the way i looked, if i had the choice if i chose from anything with no prior social conditioning, say a complete mind wipe? fashion exists, get over it, everyone follows it to some extent, like anything, it good in moderation.

fashion
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy