The time has come when we have to pay for having been Christians for two thousand years. (Nietzsche) - rschulz
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Mind

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The Mind
"What are the postive uses of the mind? There aren't any"

"MIND" is an illusory reflection of cerebral fidgeting. It comprises all the random, uncontrolled thoughts that bubble into awareness from the subconscious. Consciousness is not mind: awareness is not mind: attention is not mind. MIND is an obstruction,[u] an aggravation. It is a kind of evolutionary mistake in the human beings, a primal weakness in the human experiment if you will...........

I have no use for the mind..

The brain on the other hand.... it directs the body, stores information and can play with that information..we refer to the brain's abstract processes as "the intellect". nowhere have I had to mention the mind

the brain can be a tool it can recall phone numbers, solve math problems, or create poetry. it works like a tractor for the rest of body.. but now when you can't stop thinking of that math problem or phone number, or when troubling thoughts and memorise arise without your intent, it's not your brain working , but you'r mind wandering....

dont let your mind control your moods.. meditate your moods and realize that they don't matter..

don't be distracted by anything, dont let your mind wander, plzzz realize when you resist what happens your "mind" begins to race and the thoughts that assail you are actually created by you............ the lesson.......... stress happens when the mind resists what is..

(this whole site is for people with wandering minds, like myself............ I am controling my mind finally with some help, but I had to come back and let you guys know this cause its not good to let your mind wander like this... thoughts of suicide will probably arise if you dont get out of your own prison and see the beaty in life)

so remember when ever you are in trouble let go of your thoughts and see through your mind.. LET GO!!!!!!!!!

I will end my quotes (from dan millman who I give all credit and respect to for opening my eyes) by saying as he once said:

"Be content with this knowledge: There is no need to search: achievement leads to nowhere. It makes no difference at all, so just be happy now! Love is the only reality of the world, cause it is all One, you see!! And the only laws are paradox, humor, and change. There is no problem, never was, and damn it there never will be. Release your struggle, let go of your damn mind, throw away your concerns, and just relax into the world. no need to resist life: just try to do your best with what you have.Open your eyes and see that YOU are far more than YOU could ever imagine. You are the world, you are the universe you are yourself and everyone else, too! It's all the marvelous play of god. WAKE UP, regain your humor. Don't spend another moment worrying, cause guess what... YOU ARE ALREADY FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!

im not deranged im not dangerous just full of life and i dont care what you think anways..

i should be silent that would be wise but i have to sound like a fool to maybe get my point across to one person...........at least one person plz respond and tell me that u get it... that i reached you, anyone.......

one more quote: "there is only here and now right here, right now the past is over the future may never come" if someone asked you where you were right now you what would you say? then if they said be more general you would say your state then mayb country then earth and the milky way galaxy and eventually u would say well u know what i dont really know where the hell i am..

so just be happy cause

Existence IS A MYSTRY

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
people get so lost in their own "religion" and/or "logic" that they forget that none of it is really that important. it is difficult to be in this state of mind ALL of the time, many never make effort to be this way though, its rather unfortunate.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The mind is, in a sence, useless... but without minds, we wouldnt be human or having this forum conversation.

Our brain can complete incredibly complex math problems in a blink of an eye, such as seeing where a baseball will land and catching it.

However the mind then takes that, and makes us catch it... then causes whatever feeling follows...

however as for Dan Millmans quote, i believe that is an opiniated quote. I find happiness in gaining knowledge. I am able to let go of my feelings, yes, but living without feeling, without achievment, just seems like a drone life to me... if you never achieved, you would technically never move, never breath, never think, and die, for every breath is the achievment of that much more life.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that xanadoool is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I find it interesting that the thought that the mind is useless formed, in your mind. The language with which to explain this thought to others was conjured, in the mind. But most importantly, the knowledge of how to use a computer, what letters look like and how they sound, all came from... you guessed it, your mind.

The subconscious is simply part of the mind. Honestly, I don't think you've done any reading on neurophysiology, nor psychology. I've studied both as part of my bachelors degree in social work. It's an interesting idea that you could exist without the mind, but I believe it would be highly doubted by most people in all psychological fields.

"Always give to the left, coz the right way is the wrong way."
 35yrs • M •
i agree with xanadoool 100%, however, it is possible to have limited mind function... such as early humans.

37yrs • M •
well I have studied psychology but I'm not responding to bicker with you..

im responding to amuse myself.. tell me why is it that if people don't get what they want; they suffer.. if they get what they don't want; they suffer, even when they get EXACTLY what they want they want; they suffer, cause they can't hold on to it forever.

ans: the mind... that's your only predicament. It wants to be free of change, free of pain, free of obligations of life and death. But change is a law and no amount of pretending will alter that reality...

What I am saying is that you will suffer life till you can let go of your mind's attachments and just go for the ride freely, no matter WHAT happens..

another quick thing, I find mind to be one of those slippery terms like love the proper def. depends on your state of consciousness.

quote: "subconscious is simply part of the mind"

I've already made that clear.. all I am saying is that it is possible to achieve things with out so many emotions that the mind creates..

meditate your actions and when you have a feeling of emotion coming on just let it go cause it's a disturbance

a drone is a bad way of putting it.. how about a peaceful yet wise individual that never gets overly excited while at the same time not getting too upset about things....... cause none of it matters... it doesnt make a difference

this constant meditated life style is hard to accomplish but once you have enlightened yourself by mastering it life will be complete bliss no matter what... I MEAN NO MATTER WHAT ................yes.. like if your best friend dies.. it won't matter nothing will........ in doing so you cant be thrilled either......like say you just won the lottery.. yep you dont care.. of course you are happy at first but then you let that emotion go.. you are wise enough to know that happiness is something different...... with that kind of excitement will also come disappointment.. its not a matter of being a drone its a matter of being mellow no matter what.....

I dont even wanna say that you have to take the bad (not being happy) with the good (not being depressed)
It's more like you are completly free..

I'm still trying to master this. Some people already have.

being happy or sad is human... im talking about never being either.. and if you ever are you let them go kinda like zen philosophy..... you can still achieve but much easier cause your complete focus is on the present and you finally realize that:

Even you yourself don't matter.

35yrs • M •
that whole thing you just wrote depends on the environment your mind is molded by.

i almost never suffer. if i get something i want, dont suffer, if i dont get something i want, minimal suffering (unless its something huge). The mind is not the same for everyone.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that xanadoool is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
So in other words, you want to remove emotion FROM your mind. Not remove your mind entirely. I see the point of your previous statement now.

You've been made to suffer in the past by your own over expectations. A common occurance. But removing emotion wasn't the answer for many people I've helped, though it is most people's first response to pain(Like an animal chewing off a painful bung limb).

Perhaps you should try overtly embracing emotion as it comes, and removing expectation from your mind instead. At least then, you can never be disappointed.

"Always give to the left, coz the right way is the wrong way."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What you are talking about is holding control of the mind rather then letting it run wild, simplicity through self control of the mind but not the absence of it. It's not because the mind is useless in fact it is the opposite, the mind is so powerful and few people use it to its full potential.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 37yrs • M •
exactly etherealmee.. self discipline..

and xana i will try your method of embracing emotion without expection and chance of disappointment.. then I'll choose which method I like better....

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think the definations are jumbled up here, though the basic idea is correct.

Anaylitical, actually neither is the brain useless, neither is the 'mind'. the problem arises when we start to identify with ourmind.the brain deals with life, a personality(mind,ego, in other words)starts to form, and you identify yourself with it. Your sense of self is based upon your name , your face, the school you go too and etc.
This creates the problem, when you think yourself to be your mind, when you think that only your personality defines who you are, that thats all you are.

lots, perhaps most of us have a 'victom identity' to some degree. Whenever we experiance emotional pain, we actually like it, because we start to identify our sense of self with our mind and personality even more. Notice that whenever you are emotionally hurt, whenever someone harms you, you start to think of your self as some victim, and while you are sulking and crying, notice that at that time, you actually want to be emotionally hurt

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
....so that you can think of your self as this heroic survivor even more.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that the awful noise is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well i rather just live than keep reminding myself to live or think a certain way. if i have an emotion, im not going to go oh man.. and throw it away. sadness/hapiness/death whatever are beautiful things that cant be ignored. but if your friend dies... and you dont care then theres something wrong with you. sounds like you do too many drugs and live in a fantasy world. no ones ever going to act like this

37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that the awful noise is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
also.. if you were going to live like this... by those ways of thinking . do you know how long it would take to in a sense, reprogram your mind into thinking this way? from going from the familiar to a strict unatural yet 'pure' decision

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The mind is powerful and its ability to adapt is amazing. Self control of the mind does not imply a lack of humanity it simply means freedom from emotions, so instead of acting in a blind rage you can keep yourself controlled and act rationally.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
The Mind
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy