A man talks dirty to a woman and its sexual harassment. A woman talks dirty to a man and its $3.95 a minute. - Attolia
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why live if you're just going to die?

User Thread
 43yrs • M •
caliban920 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
What's the point of life anyway? Simply so we can work our way towards certain death? What's the point in waking up, if you'll just go back to sleep? What can you expierence in life that you can't expierence after death?

35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
maybe the main focus of life isn't the evident death, maybe the purpose of life is the journey you take and not the end of it.

"Crap. I lost my watch, now I'm lost in time."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
there is a point....living!!...you live to die that's true....but you also die to live....the only difference is when you're dead you're back to the nothingness you were before the unknown you got a vessel to obtain.......life is entertainment for the spirit....man makes it hard...sorry for that......enjoy it anyways....shit you can walk...talk...eat...run...sing...dance...play...shit the list goes on and on and on......it's crazy...you can actually do all this shit.. and you're made of dust!!!!!......IT"S FRIGGIN RIDICULOUS.... life's amazing.....again I'm sorry for the hardships of mans confusion......

"Being is not knowing!"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Listen to him I know he sounds crazy, but he's right!!

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 400yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that poser exposer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
maybe the main focus of life isn't the evident death, maybe the purpose of life is the journey you take and not the end of it. wanderingNobody is amazing...

"i hate cRap!"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
im not going to lie to myself, im just out to kill time before i die. but it's not as bad as it sounds. i kind of get frustrated with people who take things way to seriously though--like grades and work and things. just have fun with life and don't be so melodramatic or serious about it. cause if you get too serious or attached to things youre bound to be disappointed, because you have to lose it all in the end anyway.

"You are reading this."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There is no 'one purpose'. Purpose is within ones self. Therefore there is no universal, mainstream answer to purpose. The purpose of life is what you make it.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
maybe the main focus of life isn't the evident death, maybe the purpose of life is the journey you take and not the end of it.

Although this may be true (and if we're going to use the words "may be" as a disclaimer, then most definitely), I agree with the first poster in questioning if life has a purpose at all. I don't find the "journey in life" to be fulfilling, because even at the young age of 18, I find going through life without a convincing motivation to be tedious, at best.

And, as to what summit said, I don't believe that an individual has control over a general "purpose" in life, and therefore can't call his personal interpretation of why he chooses to enjoy/dislike life as the answer to its ultimate "purpose". I can interpret life in my own way, but if it isn't a solution for everyone, then it can hardly be considered a human "purpose". It would be arrogant to think that we were placed (or created via science, or whatever theory you'd like to adopt) on Earth to decide our own "purposes", as I do not find mankind to be the only species placed on this planet, and likewise, that it would be very arrogant to assume that a single species was placed on this earth for a purpose, while many species unable to possess the freedom of intellectual thought, are left to rot away, without a purpose of their own.

On top of that, it is just improbable to assume that mankind, with its late start in the historical theory that I have chosen to believe (any particular variation of the Theory of Evolution is acceptable, in my book), is the only species with a "purpose".

I'd like to think my dog is here for a reason too, or that neither of us are.

"He who refuses to seek will never learn"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think that in a sense, we all do have some sort of purpose, including animals. And your right, just because we have our own intrepretation of purpose doesn't mean it's the ultimate purpose. But maybe our intrepretation of our own purpose is good enough. Like how we have goals, and what we define success as...things like that. Maybe our purpose is just to live, whether we enjoy it or not. Humans live, animals live, insects live--therefore, we have a purpose which is life itself. I'm not drawing to a rock conclusion of what our purpose is, I'm just suggesting, whether I believe in it personally or not.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the purpose of life is to have purpose... to have purpose means many different things depending on who or what you are talking about.

if only we all felt the need for a "greater" purpose and strived toward it...

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that JoelB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I feel as though The Ataris have stated this best---

"Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up, these are the best days of our lives"

The purpose of life, is to live it. The journey. What good is your life going to be if you just sit at home all day, sleep, eat, watch tv? Then of course you are going to wonder what the purpose of life is (not saying that any of you do that or anything). But if you get out side, have fun, go to the beach, just little things even, can make life a lot more fun. You'd be surprised. It's getting sunny here in Washington State finally, and just being outside in the sun I've realized makes life a bit better, lol. Life is what you make of it. And the purpose....is to have fun

"Aint flashed a smile in a long while...."
 35yrs • F •
amen

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Everyone assumes that going out and "doing things" makes someone happy. Sometimes, and often, alot of times, I compare going out and doing things to sitting home, thinking about things like this, and the former just doesn't compare to the latter. I'm tired of accepting the cliche of "Finding a purpose is the purpose". That just doesn't make sense. I would be so much more ready to believe that life just doesn't have a purpose, and that everyone is at least a little bit guilty of wasting time itself by doing mundane things like going out, watching TV, getting married, falling in love, or anything of the sort.

If finding a purpose IS my purpose in life, then that still isn't good enough for me. If I died tomorrow, it's obvious I wouldn't be missing out on anything that I actually give a damn about.

I'm sorry that every other person in the world that I've met doesn't share that belief. It'd be foolish to think that everyone else was wrong, and I right, I warrant, but for some reason, my logic has never been proven wrong to me, by another. Maybe I am more close-minded than I give myself credit for, but I am honestly making an effort to see from others' point of views that enjoying life is somehow the purpose behind it.

"He who refuses to seek will never learn"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that JoelB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'll agree, at times, sitting at home, in a pair of sweats, watching a movie, or eating ice cream, rules. It just rules. Or sitting at home, pondering things, being on this board and having a discussion, is also a good time. Then again, I do suppose that everyone will never agree on what the purpose of life is, its all in the eye of the beholder I suppose. I guess a more appropriate phrase would be "Life is what you make of it". Differnet things, make different people happy. For you, perhaps sitting and thinking, is a good time for you. For others going out and going to the mall, or going to the movies, would be considered a good time. I guess what it boils down to is the individual. But either way, no matter who you are, or what you believe in, life is what you make of it.

"Aint flashed a smile in a long while...."
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy