This is Joe Public speaking, I'm controlled in the body, controlled in the mind. - The Clash
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why live if you're just going to die? - Page 5

User Thread
 33yrs • F •
Kagome is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Everyone is going to die eventually. It's better to use the time you have. Do what you want now, because it will all end eventually. And maybe you can do good for people in the future.

"What is today but yesterday's tommorrow?"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If people actually believed that life had no point that why does anybody actually stay alive? By your own existence all of you who say there is no point are disproving yourselves.
Humans are finite we cannot think in terms of everlasting therefore death is a necessary step, not an end but a gateway to one of two options, more life or more death. The purpose of this life is to decide what to do with the next stage. This is a self evident fact given that all through the ages man has asked this same question, and all through the ages man has chosen the same types of answers. For example the ancient Greek Stoic philosophy had a set of beliefs not unlike today's New Age philosophy and the Greek Epicurean philosophy is not unlike the Darwinian Theory. So therefore life is the quest for understanding so that we go not unprepared into the next life.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 39yrs • M •
Rozo is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Ok. First of all for people who are inherently unpleased with the answer that Life is an end unto itself need Truth. Not relative or personal truth but a more prevalant and universal Truth. This must be defined for them to have purpose. I see that everyone here has some sort of philosophers spirit about them, but due to the fundemental differences that everyone has in the very core of their being and the differences of experiences from outside forces they have different views on why to live life. I would recommend that anyone who fails to find a purpose read the book "Ecclesiastes" in the Bible and they will find that they are at least not alone.

For those people who don't value life for itself, in my "opinion" (opinion is in quotes for me because I truly believe that it is absolute truth) I think that they need God. They need to believe that life, in one form or another doesn't end, and I don't think it does. I also don't think I will ever understand the fullness of God's intentions for us, but I do believe that God created us for His enjoyment, whatever form of enjoyment he gets out of us is up to Him to know (although I think it's because he gave us our sovereignity from his will in the form of Freewill, and His pleasure in us is our love for Him and one another).

I think some of us will stop asking "Why?" about various things in life and accept the best sounding answer to satisfy themselves.

Oh and to those people who say, "Who are you to tell me what truth is...", to you I say that every STATEMENT that you make is indeed a declaration of your personal version of universal truth. Wether it's actually universally true or not is not really up to us now is it. We all have our opinions, but when we state that it's just our opinion, we rob ourselves of the value of our statement because we make it only partially true to ourselves if we believe that it is just our opinion.

"Love is a circle, Jump in"
 33yrs • M •
saginadir is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
We Live To Love We Die When We Are Run Out Of Loves..

can you imagin your self without someone that loves you?
well i can and i bet you can as well... but when you think about it that no body loves you, you just have no reason to live...

37yrs • F •
Ripplez is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i can't help but to judge that anyone who takes a "why bother living" approach is rather immature. theres that whole saying, "better loved and lost than to have never loved at all." i think the progress we make with each experience and episode of life is what people call the journey..and especially to witness the growth of loved ones around makes my life fulfilling.

36yrs • M •
Fayt is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Life is a journey...no one can say they know what is going to happen after life, after death; might as well play the game while you are here then to find out the truth.
The reason to do things while we are alive is to work toward the ultimate end.

"Reality is percieved by what one allows himself to believe is around him in all he senses, there is no universal reality. Fayt"
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Raptafairious is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Thank you Fayt, no one knows whats after all of this, no one knows if we have a specific reason to be in this place. Life is like writing your own book, you can choose to do anything, see anything, hear, touch smell anything exc. There probably isnt no end in time, in existance, but if you really willing to take it seriously, live life to the max and see how deep the rabbit hole can go

"I'm just another person in this place, which is why its my advantage."
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Experience love, sex, fun, strawberry milkshakes, walks in the park, pets, beer, technology. Live for today, care for tomorrow but above all make sure when u look back u can say wow...that was good. If your a pessimist of life after death...u only get one shot..that remarkable thing looking at this computer only stays here for a short while...dont u want to give and receive? Whats the chance that u were born? Are you not in awe of that probability?

""No words""
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cujo0424 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The thing to keep in mind when asking that question is knowing that there's probably a different answer for everybody. I, like most people my age I'm sure, have thought of this before and have come up with a long list of answers, but one of the most reasonable ones is that we're still on this earth for experience. I don't know why, I can't explain why for the life of me, but I can say that we're not here to experience only the good things in life, because without the bad, we wouldn't be able to see good. Let's say the only thing you can smell in this world are roses, so it's basically a neutral smell. Now, you wouldn't be able to enjoy the smell of roses unless you'd smelled garbage and dog crap and a bunch of other stuff that isn't too nice to hang around with. Maybe the more I read the broader my mind will become and the narrower my decisions so I can stick to just a single one, rather than have hundreds of possibilities floating around all the time, but untilt he time I can finally find a true answer to stick to, I guess that's the best I can give.

""Scared is not the right word...I'm frightened of it..."---Love & Death"
 36yrs • M •
wrangman is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Just do what you want... unless itll put u in jail because im sure it'd be hard to get out because when we die we're back to nothing, just think back to before you were born, i believe thats exactly what we'll be, and if you can't think back to before you were born, don't worry no one can, and thats because humans aren't capable of understanding the concept of nothing.

"i know who i am"
 69yrs • M •
Wandering soul is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
WHO really knows...or has the truth?! All religions have their views haven't they?!

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe one can ask themselves what trully living is...
If you have experienced life then you would have reason enough to keep living.

"Dark and silent and complete."
 70yrs • M •
THX 1137 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Life is its own purpose, it does not need an exterior reason.

43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that BHU is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That's like asking why exhale if I'm only going to inhale.

You have to live your life because if you kill yourself you are simply going to be reborn into another life after death until you succeed in attaining Enlightenment in a lifetime.

Start working toward your Enlightenment so that the cycle of death and birth discontinues.

Why live if you're just going to die? - Page 5
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy