Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Is it?

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that JoelB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Is it?
"She was just standing there in the middle of the road, frozen. So I got out of the car and I walked over to her to see if she was okay. And she leaned over and whispered in my ear."

"What did she say?"

"I think Frank wants me to go talk to her, because the last time I saw him he asked me if I knew about time travel. And she wrote a book about it so that can't be like a coincidence, right?"

"What did Roberta Sparrow say to you?"

"She said that every living creature on Earth dies alone."

"How did that make you feel?"

"It reminded me of my dog, Callie. She died when I was eight, and she crawled underneath the porch."

"To die?"

"To be alone."

"Do you feel alone right now?"

"I don't know. I mean I'd like to believe I'm not, but I just... I've just never seen any proof so I... just don't debate it any more it's like I could spend my whole life debating it over and over again, weighing the pros and cons, and in the end I still wouldn't have any proof. So I just, I just don't debate it any more. It's absurd. The search for God is absurd."

"The search for God is absurd?"

"It is if everyone dies alone."

"Aint flashed a smile in a long while...."
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fairy Boy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I Love That movie...

Depends, Are You Looking at it from a purely philosophical point of view or a emotional human one.

Existentially speaking nothing exists anyway except you and your thoughts....but then again I believe if you envision something strongly enough it becomes real which means everything is real....mmm!

At the end of the day it really depends if you like being alone or not.

And what you are willing to give to find your answers

""Veritatem quaere et insaniam inveni""
 37yrs • M •
I'd say more along the lines of an emotional human one. I'm not looking for people to start quoting evidence that proves there is a God. Just in your own opinion. Your own views. From your own experiences. And thoughts.

35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't think I'd like to die lonely, I could die alone, which I won't mind, but I have a feeling that I might.

"Crap. I lost my watch, now I'm lost in time."
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fairy Boy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Right Now in this time and place no i do not wish to die alone
i could go as far as stating that i actualy fear dieing alone yet i do not fear death itself

""Veritatem quaere et insaniam inveni""
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Death itself doesn't trouble me, it's just how I'm going to die...

35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lynnz is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Death has never been final to me. Theoretically, Life hurts alot more than death. At the point of death, the pain is over and the soul is finally able to be completely free. To me, it doesnt really matter how i die, well it does in a sense i guess, but its more a matter of when i die. I want to be able to experience true love, see the world, feel every emotion possible, have children, etc. So, dying alone, like without a significant other, without family, or actually dying by yourself like in a car accident with no one else around? Since i came into this world "single" it would be great to exit the world in a relationship with someone i truly love anf care for. But if not, i know i have loved and that people have loved me. Whether it be family or my significant other, as long as i have self-less, unconditional, true love to others and others unto me, i'm content with that.

"Keep your mind open so your thoughts are free to explore"
[  Edited by Lynnz at   ]
 37yrs • M •
Death...frankly, Im not scared of it. If its my time its my time, nothing I can do about it.

But what Im looking for here is your thoughts on if the search for God is absurd....read the movie lines again. I mean, IS the search for God absurb, if every living creature on Earth dies alone?

I think it very well may be. The search for a higher being, just to comfort you? For your own satisfaction? But if every living creature dies alone, then that is the point? I dunno. Im confused.

35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lynnz is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hmmm.....well, along the lines of an emotional human point of view, i guess you do die alone but i believe you'll never be alone. When you die, perhaps your spirt DOES live on and joins your other family members of friends who have previously passed which makes dying alone worth it cuz you get to see the people who you wouldnt have seen otherwise if it wasnt for your passing. Your not alone then. I dont think the search for God is absurd at all. You dont search for god necessarily, hes in you all along. All you have to do is believe, trust, and live your life accordingly to whats right and try to stay away from whats wrong, which is especially hard in this day and age. Mybe when you do "search" for a higher being, your not only doing it for your own self-gratification, but for others, which may not be relevant at first. When you find God within yourself, your more likely to be a much better person and that goodwill can rub off on other people and give them something to believe in. Why not "search" for God to comfort you? We all need comfort in our lives and hes there to provide is with that and guide us through our lives. The search for God isnt absurd when at your time of dying your alone but afterthat, it was well worth it to find or believe in God in the first place cuz you'll never be alone while your spirit is with him and the ones who have previously passed that you loved. Dunno, just my thoughts. Im still young and have a lot to learn
Oh, i was wondering Fairy Boy, you said you believe if you envision something strongly enough it becomes real which means everything is real. Wouldnt that be more along the lines of what you envisioning being idealistic rather than realistic? Well, come to think of it, not if what you envisioned was real to begin with......Damn, im contradicting

"Keep your mind open so your thoughts are free to explore"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the fact that people search for god merely for comfort is what is absurd. everyone feels alone sometimes, at that point Donnie feels particularly alone. maybe he is, maybe he isnt. whats important is that we never give up. if Donnie had simply given up, he never would have discovered his true path in life, his calling. just like all of us.

i think by the end Donnie realizes he was never alone. but that is very much open for debate.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Do we die alone? Yes. By alone, I don't mean that you die without any loved ones nearby. But you will be alone in your grave, or wherever you think souls end up, if you think they end up anywhere.

Seeking God is not absurd. People search for God to find a meaning in life. People receive comfort from believing in HIm and His grace.

I can't say if I'm scared of dying or not. I wouldn't want to die when my relationships are in a bad state. I wouldn't want to die leaving a loved one who can not take care of himself/herself. I have my survival instinct, so I want to live. I also believe in life after death.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that JimmyK is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
we all have to die one day

37yrs • M •
I believe in life after death as well, and I agree about leaving loved ones behind, and things like that. Its not that I want to die (I dont think anyone does), and its not like I wouldn't fight till the bitter end to stay alive, because I'd never want to leave what I have right now, things are looking up, and I think I'm almost happy again. But I mean, if it IS my time, I'm not afraid of it. As for the search for God being absurd, I guess it depends on your outlook on life. As for me...I dont feel the need to have a "higher being" next to me, or having him watch over me. I was raised in a very religious Christian home, and all its done is pull me away from God. I hated going to church, since the day I got my licensce I havn't gone to church again. I'm not really sure where it went wrong, but somewhere along the line I lost faith, and I dont really feel the need to restore it.

35yrs • F •
For me, it's more of the pain then death itself.

37yrs • M •
How do you know there will be pain? All these notions, that we have about death, can't be proven. Before you can understand death, you must understand that you have preconceptions about it. When you hear death, what do you think of? You think of pain, darkness, and emptiness. Everything you've heard about death has been negative. However, no one that has experienced death has told you these things, so how can you trust them?

Is it?
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy