It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them. - Confucius
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Peter Principle

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The Peter Principle
This is why things will always go wrong with government or anything for that matter. The Peter Principle states that in a hierarchically structured administration, people tend to be promoted up to their "level of incompetence". This process of climbing up the hierarchical ladder can go on indefinitely, until the employee reaches a position where he or she is no longer competent. At that moment the process typically stops, since the established rules of bureacracies make that it is very difficult to "demote" someone to a lower rank, even if that person would be much better fitted and more happy in that lower position. The net result is that most of the higher levels of a bureaucracy will be filled by incompetent people, who got there because they were quite good at doing a different (and usually, but not always, easier) task than the one they are expected to do.

Thus we can see why organizations still function even as the Peter Principle causes some employees to accept one too many promotions.

ex. If you're a proficient and effective software developer, you're most likely demonstrating peak competence in your job right now. As a result of your performance, your valuable contribution results in a promotion to a management position. In this new position, you now do few of the original tasks which gained you acclaim. In fact, little of your current job remains enjoyable, therefore your heart is no longer in your work, and it shows. Given this, promotions stop, and there you stay, until you retire or your company goes under due to mismanagement.

Companies will attract and expand on a certain level of incompetence. Once a company forms a culture of incompetence, only the incompetent staff will remain, and the competent ones will tire of trying to soar with eagles while surrounded by turkeys, and therefore leave.

The end result is that non-growing companies are more likely to have incompetent employees at many levels of the organizational structure whereas growing companies add new positions and employees so fast that the inevitable results of the Peter Principle may be forestalled so long as growth continues.

Management consultants who recognize that the Peter Principle is in full swing in their clients organization often recommend percussive sublimations and lateral arabesque for high ranking employees to make room for new employees, because new employees are not yet at their level of incompetence thus they can actually do the work they were hired to do which increases total output of the organization.

The same will be employed with even bush, as an unsuccessful oil industry executive in Texas, he was rewarded with the Governorship. When he was a mediocre Governor in his first term, he was rewarded with a second term. When his second term was equally uneventful, (unless you were on death row), he was rewarded by being appointed a President by the Supreme Court. When he was a disastrous President in his first term, he was rewarded with the second term by a homophobic public that was fed prepackaged news.

True to the principle that carries his name, Bush has appointed: Ms Rice to the position of Secretary of State after failing miserably as National Security Advisor (Remember August 6th memo?); nominated Albert Gonzales as Attorney General as a reward for justifying the torture of prisoners; and named Mr. Wolfowitz as his candidate for president of the World Bank as a reward for a botched Iraq occupation.

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
[  Edited by analytical29 at   ]
 37yrs • M •
Would anyone like to respond?

59yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheIrishPagan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You tread perhaps upon favoritism in the last paragraph of your post. That is more a danger, in my opinion, thatn incompitance.

"Oops, it appears I have run over your dogma with my karma."
 37yrs • M •
that's just your perception irish

59yrs • M •
Perhaps, but even an incompetent has some motivation to improve themselves at sometime, if merely motivated by the very act of promotion. People who are just given their positions by someone, favoritism, have no compulsion or motivation to improve themselves, yes?

37yrs • M •
Yes Irish I absolutely agree with that.
The point that I was merely stating was that this is an enormous reason why we can not live in a faultless society.
Peace..

59yrs • M •
I am not sure there could BE a faultless society, humans are too varied a specieis in thought and actions after all.

Who was it that said "A Perfect Utopia would require no laws"?

37yrs • M •
I haven't heard of that but i can understand it.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It's true, promoting people who are good at their job and giving them a different job is not always a good thing.

Would you rather people who have proven incompetent at their current job to be promoted to a more important one?

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 37yrs • M •
the problem is that when the person discovers that they are incompetent at thier new postion they remain there without getting demoted..

59yrs • M •
Not getting demoted, but sacked when they screw up bad enough.

Perhaps too many people associate promotion with reward?

37yrs • M •
yes and getting sacked as you put will not make them competent now will it?

59yrs • M •
Newp, but it will open that position to someone else, whether they are equilly incompitant or otherwise.

37yrs • M •
haha i can see you are incompetent at spelling "equally incompetent" lol..

and it wont open the postion.. can we just put a knew president into office?

59yrs • M •
Sure, its called Impeachment. I don't mean to split hairs here, I agree with the Peter Principle.

The Peter Principle
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy