Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Catcher in the Rye

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that White_Bishop is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Catcher in the Rye
Anyone who has read catcher in the Rye please give me some reviews on the book.

"Words are but the pathways for thought to travel from mind to mind"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Vortex271 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Just finished a two month English course on it- to say the least, that book is twisted so many different ways, it's a pain to keep them all in perspective. Also , the characters are just too human- I remember thinking about something and suddenly realizing that that thought was almost a direct quote from the book. Also, you have to see how his overall mental state holds together- it degrads slowly over time, things become more and more disconnected, like Dr Phil reruns but finally, when he walks the streets crying out for his brother, that is when he has no mentality left- J.D Salinger did a kick-ass job putting that on paper. But if it's reviews you want, here's mine- four out of five stars. Minus one star for far too much realism. It'll give you nightmares.

""As I sit before the fire, I wonder how many before myself have been burned.'"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I loved the book...it's too real. He says everything stripped down and raw. It's one of my favs.

"Crap. I lost my watch, now I'm lost in time."
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Catcher in te Rye...

An excellent book- its been a while since i read that one... but an excellent read for one and all.

A Nice summary... (spoiler)
http://www.gradesaver.com/ClassicNotes/Titles/catcherrye/shortsumm.html

it follows the the dificulties of a young man going through a tough time... in short.

well worth the read-

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 37yrs • M •
I've never read it, but I want to. What's it about? Please don't spoil the story for me, I just want the general idea.

52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Its about a boy who is kicked out of boarding school again- he struggles to com to terms with the predicament of his life...
read info from that link below.... just not the whole thing.... the story has no big surprises- its greatness lies in its flow and intimate detail of the narator.
Your actually better off not knowing a whole lot about it just pick it up and read it you wont be dissapointed.

- oddly enough Catcher in the Rye has been previously banned from many libraries..... that alone should do more to intruige you...

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 37yrs • M •
Hmmmm... I am intrigued. I just hope that it hasn't been banned from any library near me.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
crazy story, i didnt particularly like it... probably because i was forced to read it in school... i love the realism though. if you like that aspect, a much better book in my opinion is The Perks of Being a Wallflower ive mentioned that book a few times on here

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that niners69sgirl is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think i'm gonna see if the library around here has it just so i can read it cuz this is the first time i've heard of it and its supposed to be good ....that is if i can find the library ...i'm startin to think movin an hour away from everything familiar was a bad idea

"sonrisa siesta y fiesta ...if ya wanna know don't be afraid to ask i only bite on days that end in y"
 37yrs • M •
Sorry, I'm not up on many posts. I don't want to take attention away from Catcher in the Rye, but what is "the perks of being a wallflower" about?

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
just finished reading this book for the second time. i wasn't planning on it, but i found it on my shelf and started reading the first page, just for the hell of it--it's one of those books that once you start reading it you can't stop. there are very few books like that out there. it only took me two days to read, because you can just get taken away by the narration and you don't want to put it down.

anyway, i think it's a shame that people like this book less because they had to read it in school. fortunately i never had to, so maybe that's why i liked it so much. i actually think it's kind of a sin almost to force kids to read catcher in school, simply because it's the type of book you're almost supposed to find and read on your own.

"You are reading this."
 37yrs • M •
I just read the book a couple of days ago, whoever said that it was an intriguing book was right. I read it in only two nights. Funny thing is that I followed the comment by someone advising to read Perks of Being A Wallflower, I read that first. I don't know which book I think is "better", I think that they follow different themes and situations and being such can't be compared that way. Perks may be a bit more time relevant, but I think that Catcher follows the madness theme more, which I thought was interesting. It was interesting to watch Holden fall deeper into his state of madness as was it to follow "Charlie" through the trials of adolescense. I think that this style of writing has pottential to become a favorite of mine but I could use a list of more books written in this style. I think that I should read Catcher in the Rye again, b/c I think that I probably missed a lot of what it had to offer. I would also like to carry on in this disscussion now that I have read the book and have people point out certain things that I may have missed, or things that may have been discussed by your teachers or professors at school pointing out some of the cool things in the book. Honestly, I don't even remember the part that was discussed earlier in this forum when Holden was calling for his brother in the streets. I think that it was a good book even if I didn't pick up on all of it's real points. I can say that it wasn't what I was expecting it to be, but I was not let down. Post on with any interesting comments you may have about the book.

35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I didn't really like Catcher in the Rye too much. I expected it to be a classic, but was sadly disappointed. It was great when he talked about his brother, but I still thought he was a rich ungrateful snob who was extremely stupid when it came to ordering prostitutes.

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Podslapper is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If you're not an angst-ridden teenager (at least at heart), you probably won't like this book too much. It's basically just this kid complaining about stuff, which I thought was alright because it addressed a lot of the shit going on in my mind at the time. Great for venting. Maybe that's why it's so popular.

"Hello, hello, hello"
Catcher in the Rye
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy