Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

No more SANTA

User Thread
 39yrs • F •
SheDiesTomorrow is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
No more SANTA
Should we stop Telling the children a lie. I doubt if i have kids i will tell them about santa. I wouldn't want to lie to the kid... Some people say its childhood innocence. I don't think a lie helps keep them stay innocent. What do you Think?

"vegetarians taste better"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Great point, Otter.

But let's stop feeding the kids lies. Tell them about the real santas that Otter mentioned, the ones that give freely and ask nothing in return, and them encourage the kids to be santas themselves.

But Santa will not die until he starts losing commercial appeal.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I never believed in Santa, never will. Why do people feel the need to give without expectations only during Christmas? I find it hypocritical because most of the year, the homeless don't have food and the poor ones still don't have a better life. Only during Christmas people throw extravagant dinners and give freely, feeling as if they accoplished something. The "spirit" of Santa is overly used and worn out. Why can't we give freely without without putting lables on the spirit of giving?

"Crap. I lost my watch, now I'm lost in time."
 39yrs • F •
SheDiesTomorrow is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i was lied to as a child and it did affect me. When i realised my parents lied to me.. I never completly trusted them again. There are so many more prafound things a child could learn.. why a lie?

"vegetarians taste better"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I kinda see where your getting at. I know the whole thing about child innocence and all, but why cushion them into believing that theres good in everybody and so on? I'm not saying that you should be exposing kids to raw violence and the Truth about the world and the harshness of human nature, but in my opinion, the whole Santa thing is just an excuse to buy things and get presents and to help you feel as if you've accomplished something and that your not that greedy after all. It helps you feel secure and protected just by following some tradition people made up, like there really is some order in this world.

"Crap. I lost my watch, now I'm lost in time."
 30yrs • F •
baileypug is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
No santa? i always thout there was

"?"
 59yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheIrishPagan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In my opinion, since Santa is so commercialized, to tell a child there isn't one would just confuse them. When they are old enough to ask if there is no 'Santa', then it is time to come clean. This never harmed my kids; it depends on how you tell them. To question Santa is almost a right of passage, and indicator of a child starting to mature.

The other great sign of maturity, is realizing that 'This little piggy' wasn't going to market to shop.

"Oops, it appears I have run over your dogma with my karma."
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that niners69sgirl is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
this little piggy didn't go to the market to shop ...u mean they wanna cut off my toe any ways i dont' think there's ne harm in telling a child that there is a santa clause i figured out there wasn't when i was in like 3rd grade when i got up to go pee n caught my parents in the act of "santa" i wasn't devistated i was excited that ment woo hoo if i pay attention to when mom n dad go shoppin with out me i can figure out what santa's bringin me lmao and besides that its kind of a givin that when mom n dad go "talk" to santa they're goin shoppin for christmas esp when they come home n they have like a million bags full of stuff that "santa gave to them to wrap for christmas so they could be helpers and put em under the tree for him to" oh yeah i got fed that line and kids rn't as dumb as you think and yeah i knew there was no santa oh yeah i did

"sonrisa siesta y fiesta ...if ya wanna know don't be afraid to ask i only bite on days that end in y"
 45yrs • F •
darksky is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
My daughter was told some stories as a younge child around 2 and since then she has used har imagination to fabricate her own views so i jus let her, she belives in fairies an the tooth fairy,santa and more that are only relevant to her but these were prompted mostly by her own wonderfull childish imagination and views of the world im not going to turn round and cut them dead,the time will come when she grows up and moves on to more realistic hopes and dreams or maybe not she may continue to use her imagination as a tool as an adult.

"id keep brad pitt in my cuboard 4 personal use! yum"
 37yrs • F •
haleyj01 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
we tell kids that theres a santa to keep there imagination alive. its not like once kids find out later in life they hate you for it and everything. they might be mad if they find out when there young but we should at least keep the spirit of santa alive as well.

"theres ppl who know and ppl who think they know"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
when i found out the truth, it did affect me greatly. i had thought my parents were incappable of lying to me about anything. i trusted them blindly and without question. but when i found out the truth it hurt. ive never trusted in anyone as much since then... which is a very good thing to be honest. its a small introduction to the harsh truths of reality, every child should be given lessons gradually and i think this little lie is a good way to start.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 59yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheIrishPagan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I basically agree with you Wyote, but as my parents explained it to me when I 'matured' enough, there was no trauma.I went right from 'fat red suited guy some how squeezing down the chimney' to the spirit aspect of Santa, the giving of gifts. As long as it is done properly, in my opinion, then there won't be any trauma, and is a good lesson about the joys of giving.

"Oops, it appears I have run over your dogma with my karma."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yea, the thing is i didnt find out from my parents. i dont remember exactly how i found out to be honest. but when my parents explained it to me i already knew the truth. they taught me the spirit of santa as well and it helped me understand things better. santa still visits each year, but now he visits my parents as well as me

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ikiris is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I really don't see a problem with telling kids about Santa. Kids believe many things, and when they get older they realize they made no sense. It's part of growing up. I wanted to be a super hero when I was a little kid. I eventually realized that was impossible and that all the tv shows and comics I read were completely made up. When I was little I believed in Santa but once I hit 8 years old, I didn't need anyone to tell me that it made no sense that a fat guy flew around the world delievering presents. I wasn't upset that I had been lied to, actually quite the opposite. I was proud I had figured out the scam that the adults told us before all my friends. I think it was a good lesson to. It taught me that you can't trust everything people tell you, and that you should think about stuff instead of blindly accepitng things. In my opinion thats one lesson people in this world need more of. Besides Santa is everywhere during Christmas time. If the kid is gonna have teachers at school having them write letters to santa, why not let him believe there is a Santa to get it?

"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun! - Ash"
 32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that boomstick is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
what santa is not real!!!!!!!!

jk lol

"shop smart shop s-mart"
No more SANTA
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy